New rega speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Pugface, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Pugface

Pugface

Hi - have been lurking here a little. Has anyone heard the new rega speakers yet? I remember hearing the rega ela back in the early 90's (with nait 2 and an arcam cdp) and that was superb. My system's changed a little since (basic naim cd3.5 and olive amps- 102+250+2 hc's) and I'm looking for new speakers. Has anyone heard the new rega (r5 or r3) and do they gel with naim these days?

One speaker will be placed in one corner of the room and the other halfway down the wall (very unusual almost diamond, not rectangular, like room layout), and both about all of 10cm away from the back wall. The reason for the change is that I'm getting too much boom from my current floorstanders (front ports already stuffed with foam) and I'd like to get smaller speakers. Other alternatives are the spendor s5e, dynaudio 52 or the pmc gb1. No chance of getting demo's of these in proper demo rooms, let alone with naim equipment, hence my posting here.....

Thoughts would be appreciated.... Thanks.....

Pugface, Oct 31, 2004
  2. Pugface

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Have heard both the R3 and R5.

They both sound very similar, really well integrated, nice detail with a slight warm touch. I felt the R3 was a more complete speaker, which could be right as the R5 was still a plain MDF prototype.

Another small speaker to add to your list is the Harbeth HL P3, which I prefer over the Spendor.

LiloLee, Oct 31, 2004
  3. Pugface

analoguekid Planet Rush

Do the nnew Rega's not have a rear port, this may pose problems with only 10cm wall clearance.

analoguekid, Oct 31, 2004
  4. Pugface

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

No rear port. Don't you think I'd have said :rolleyes:

LiloLee, Oct 31, 2004
  5. Pugface

adam

New Regas are front ported.

adam, Oct 31, 2004
  6. Pugface

analoguekid Planet Rush

Seemed to remember a review recently and the speakers were rear ported, but on checking it would appear to be new R9 sorry for confusion

analoguekid, Oct 31, 2004
  7. Pugface

Pugface

R3

Thanks for the replies. I'm after a smallish speaker - and although I prefer the R3, it will not be imported here. The importer is bringing in the R1, and then the R5. If it's an efficient speaker, would it sound good at low volumes (8.30pm on dial)?

Just saw the dynaudio audience 72 on sale for 345 Sterling. Unfortunately, it's much bigger than I'd like but it's cheap! And it did not sound too great at low volumes so it's out of the picture.

Pugface, Oct 31, 2004
Ask a Question