new speaker cable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ChrisD, Apr 19, 2004.

1. ChrisD

ChrisD

hi everyone

i am thinking of upgrading my speaker cable sometime over the next few weeks and i was hoping some of you may be able to recommend some to put on my shortlist.

I am looking to spend no more than £200 including termination, and will need 5 meters per channel. My speakers are biwirable so will be looking to go that root. though would be willing to try a single run of more expensive cable than a double run of cheaper cable (though i do understand more expensive doesnt always mean better!).

So far i have DNM reson on my shortlist, i was just wondering what others would be worth trying. i dont want anything to bright as my system is possible a bit on the bright side already.

my system:
    Rotal rcd 961
    densen beat b100 mk5
    B&W 602 s3

and im using transparent audio interconnects for my cd player

Thanks for your help!

Chris

ChrisD, Apr 19, 2004
  2. ChrisD

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Could have a look second hand, since manufacturer-terminated cables aren't going to degrade significantly.

Otherwise, could give QED XT400 a spin. Terminated it might come in a little above budget, but close.

I-S, Apr 19, 2004
  3. ChrisD

Curt

Also Chord Company Rumour supposedly works well with the Densen Beat.

Curt

Curt, Apr 19, 2004
  4. ChrisD

wolfgang

Hi. I have a pair of DNM Reson speaker cables for the last 2 years. I have no desire to change it yet. Your system is great. Since you are thinking of investing another £200 you should do some serious demo. Home demo if you could manage it.

Get some cables and being it home. A few years ago Audioquest have home demo sets for loan. Then listen to a few pairs of loudspeakers which is £200 more then your present loudspeakers price range. Ask to home demo the one that you think you like the most.

Now at home compare which is a better upgrade. Cables or loudspeakers in a higher price bracket which you may not have thought of listening before since it is not in your budget. I wish I have found forum like Zerogain before I bought the DNM cables.

wolfgang, Apr 19, 2004
  5. ChrisD

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

This is what I use:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?cablspkr&1086902494

That particular pair is 8ft , which may be too short. You do see longer lengths if you shop about.

Including shipping and tax that would come to 120-150 quid.

The number of people on the forum who use and rate alphacore cable (goertz/electrofluidics/isolda/living voice) is testament to how we rate it.

Treble your budget for something better IMHO

Chris

bottleneck, Apr 19, 2004
  6. ChrisD

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I've used chord rumour in the past, and my current cable is very similar construction (multi-strand silver plated copper in PTFE) and it does tend to the brighter balance.

Tara RSC might also fit the bill, but getting it in this country is difficult. It's not bright, but I find it too recessed in the mid (treble is ok, bass is superb). The set I'm selling is much to short for your purposes though.

I-S, Apr 19, 2004
  7. ChrisD

greg Its a G thing

If you do settle on Chord Co. Rumour (and I suggest you listen to it first), I've got two pairs of runs for sale, one at 5m and the other shorter. PM if you ever want to buy. I like/liked it.

greg, Apr 19, 2004
Ask a Question