New Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by gar, Oct 20, 2003.

1. gar

gar

Hi all !!

I have a Myryad T40 amp and a Marantz CD 63 MKII KI Signature and Bose Acoustimass 5 series 3.

I am thinking of replacing my speakers.

I need some advice ( my room has 22 sqm) the models I am looking are: KEF Q1,Q3,Q5 or Q7, Quad 11L

The shops tipically say that my amp can only "deal" with small not so demanding speakers. The problem is that I don't want to buy a pair of speakers that cannot tolerate an amp upgrade (which can take place in some years).

What do you recommend ?

gar, Oct 20, 2003
  2. gar

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Try some mission 780 se's . Either that or Dynaudio audience 42's. Not heard the Dyns myself but they always seem to come highly reccomended. Don't forget about good quality stands if going with bookshelf speakers.

davidcotton, Oct 20, 2003
  3. gar

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

An interesting point (well to nerds like me!)

Insensitive speakers are more likely to be standmounts. If youre room is 15+ feet across, try some floorstanders - and try and go for 90db or above into an 8ohm load.

Matching drive capability to speaker sensitivity is key to getting a room filling sound IMO

I am right in thinking your amp is 40w p/ch arent I?

Chris

bottleneck, Oct 20, 2003
  4. gar

gar

The amp is 50W. But you are right I will see if I can do a test with both these speakers.

gar, Oct 20, 2003
  5. gar

kasperoff

Heard the Quads at the weekend. Well worth a listen. What's your budget mate?

kasperoff, Oct 20, 2003
  6. gar

gar

My budget is 700 pounds or 1000 euros

gar, Oct 20, 2003
  7. gar

MO! MOnkey`ead!

the dyn's are 4ohm so maybe not ideal. Deffo worth an audition though!

the 780s (not heard the se) are good speakers in their budget IMO. But if I had £700 to spend i'd be looking for something a bit better. Certainly something with MOre low end.

MO!, Oct 21, 2003
  8. gar

gar

So what would you suggest ?

gar, Oct 21, 2003
  9. gar

PBirkett VTEC Addict

The Missions, Dyns and Quads are all, as far as I know, relatively difficult to drive. The Dyns and Quads both have low impedances, and the Missions require a lot of grunt for them not to sound thin and weak.

The KEF Q1's, on the other hand, are relatively easy to drive, with a 91 decibel / watt / meter sensitivity and their impedance dips to 4 ohms, but shouldnt really cause the amp too many nightmares...

PBirkett, Oct 21, 2003
  10. gar

kasperoff

Have you considered Monitor Audio? You have a few choices at that price point. Your 1000 euros would probably get you a 2nd hand pair or GR10s. The standmount in the current Gold range. It would also get you some S8 standmounts in the current Silver range. Or a 2nd hand pair of the older Silver 9is. The 9i's can be bought from here:

http://www.vickers-hifi.co.uk/retail/frameset.html

for £500 in an end of line deal. These used to retail at £1000. All well rated speakers, but would all carry the house sound. Quite lively and forward. Do the whole ragne quite well, good with bass. I have the Silver 9i's and have been very happy with them. Especially at £500 factory fresh.

kasperoff, Oct 21, 2003
  11. gar

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'd agree that speakers are where you should be looking to upgrade. But, have you thought about adding a power amp? The matchig power amp was apparently shifting for very cheap at end of line(apparently £150!!!). Just checked the usual places, (ebay and hififorsale), but nothing at the MOment. Perhaps worth keeping your eyes peeled.

I remember reading at the time that the Myryads were quite fussy with system matching. I've not tried them MOself so i'm going just on that. As with any kit, a deMO (prefferably a home one) is best.

MO!, Oct 23, 2003
  12. gar

MO! MOnkey`ead!

just been having a nose and how about a set of these?

[​IMG]

Triangle Zerius 202.

92dB Sensitivity, 8ohms, very well reviewed!

STEREOPHILE (US) REVIEW HERE

I've not heard them myself, but they sound like they're worth an listen!

MO!, Oct 23, 2003
  13. gar

bottleneck, Oct 23, 2003
  14. gar

MO! MOnkey`ead!

why thank ya kindly sir!

I've not heard them MOself but they seem very interesting! Can't seem to find a UK dealer on their site, but in the WHF review (on the PDF), they mention that there's now a UK dealer.

MO!, Oct 23, 2003
  15. gar

chris.gally

Triangle Dealer

www.ukd.co.uk

Specifically look at the bargains:

Zerius 202 carbone 1 Pair £425 slight transit damage

They seem to sell all kinds of good gear. Graaf, Final, Triangle, Pathos, look for yourself :p

Chris

chris.gally, Oct 23, 2003
  16. gar

There you go then Gar.

Two superb high efficiency floorstanders.

The Vienna Acoustics are warm and full bodied, the Triangle is a little brighter a little bit forward but also a bit more full range too.

If your room is large and warm sounding the triangles, if a little cold sounding and not too large the Vienna Acoustics.

Both over 90db sensitivity !

bottleneck, Oct 23, 2003
  17. gar

gar

Thanks for your advice guys !!!!

The only problme is that here in Portugal we don't have all the brands you have mentioned.

I will soon do a test with the following models:

KEF Q7

Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10

Sonus Faber Concerto

I will give you some feedback real soon.

gar, Oct 26, 2003
  18. gar

michaelab desafinado

Welcome gar - another Portuguese member! Can I ask how you heard about the forum?

Others here have mentioned Dynaudios and I'd recommend them. I have a pair of Contour 1.3MkII myself - they're now discontinued but you might be able to find a pair second hand or ex-demo from a shop for a very good price.

If you are close to Lisbon I can recommend a shop called "Interlux" on Avenida Almirante Reis. They have a lot of Dynaudio speakers and may even have a pair of Contour 1.3MkIIs left which they were selling for about 900 Euros.

They also of course have the Audience 52 and 42 range. They are known as difficult speakers to drive but it's worth giving them a try - you might be surprised :)

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 26, 2003
  19. gar

gar

Hi Michael,

I heard about the forum in the HiFi choice forum. Someone told me to post here, since I would get better results (and I indeed had better results !!!!!!).

I will investigate your advice (I didn't find any Dynaudio retalires here in Portugal, thanks for yor advice)

gar, Oct 26, 2003
  20. gar

MO! MOnkey`ead!

oops, didn't realise you're in Portugal. I think I read your post over on HFC though.

As michael says, the Dyn's aren't the easiest load, but are still worth a listen.

If you're interested in the triangles, it says that the portuguese dealer is.

AUDIO CLUBE, LDA
    Rua Dr. Alves da Veiga, 56
    4000 PORTO

Tel : +351 - 226066195
    Fax :+ 351 - 226060050

Email :
    [email protected]

keep us up to date :D

MO

MO!, Oct 26, 2003
Ask a Question