New speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by T-bone Sanchez, Jul 14, 2005.

1. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 14, 2005
  2. T-bone Sanchez

julian2002 Muper Soderator

definately, i use some ipl transmission line speakers and love them to bits.it looks like he's stopped doing the ones i have but there are some similar ones on there (the 5's) also he's doing a tripath digital amp for 800 quid which looks to be something of a bargain (307 wpc into 8 ohms, >1000 bridged!). might be worth a look too.
    ivan's a really nice guy and is happy to help over the phone - just a shame the speakers you're interested in don't come as a 'total' kit with the cabs flat packed. still if you're confident with a saw you'll be ok.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Jul 14, 2005
  3. T-bone Sanchez

Legzr1

They resemble Mission 753's with the tweeter moved between the top 2 drivers.

No doubt they will sound a tad better though :)

Legzr1, Jul 14, 2005
  4. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Julian, Id go for yours or the equiv but I dont think my room will suit plus I like playin with valves to the high-efficiency will be suitable. My dads a carpenter of sum 40yrs and we have a full joinery set-up at work so I should be okay on that front, plus theres alot of MDF etc round here. Still if he did a total kit Id go for that, saves alot of messing and asking others for help.

I was leanings towards the full-range variety but Im rather taken with these.

Leg, theres a few speakers that they remind me of but legend has it that Ivan's speakers punch well well well above their weight, I think Ive only ever heard of one detractor. The other good thing about these speaker is that they are magnetically shielded. As Im of modest wealth I still have a crt telly and the speakers have to go quite near so the potential for a problem is there.

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 14, 2005
  5. T-bone Sanchez

Legzr1

T-Bone,
    Please don't misunderstand me - i'm far from a detractor !
    Although i've never heard this particular speaker brand I did enjoy reading Julians up+downs while building his.

P.s nothing wrong with a CRT tv - as far as i'm concerned they still give the best picture / price ratio.
    Just a shame you can't hang a decent 36" set on the wall (without major building work ;) )

Legzr1, Jul 14, 2005
  6. T-bone Sanchez

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Your dads a carpenter?

Why not go totally for it and build something like a pair of JBL Everests, or DIY a pair of Tannoy GRFs?

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/everest.htm

That site will give you loads of info about making quality speakers, but you may have to join to post. I did.

bottleneck, Jul 14, 2005
  7. T-bone Sanchez

t-bone,
    the carbon s5tl's are only 1db less sensitive than the ones you list (91 vs 92 db) which isn;t going to make that huge a difference. also a transmission line will integrate into a room much better than a port, sonicaly at least. visually the waf on the 5's is pretty much zero - especially in the raw mdf state of mine :D
    don;t rule them out it what i say...
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Jul 14, 2005
  8. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Leg, no worries I knew what you meant.

BN, the problem with I'll have with anything seriously complex is that I will be needing papa sanchez to do it for me. He promised me a plinth for my thorens and took the original for a template to work from, that was about 10 weeks ago and I dont think he's even looked at it! I could be waiting many moons.

Julian, I didnt realise they were so sensitive. However, they are BIG beasts, after much considertion last night I decided they are too big for my tastes. I also decided Im not too keen on all those black cones, so Im back to a horn design with a full range cone or one of Ivors lesser speakers. By the way I didnt mention which winter this project will take place!!

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 15, 2005
  9. T-bone Sanchez

analoguekid Planet Rush

Ju, i thought you were going to apply a finish, at least varnish them man. :D

analoguekid, Jul 15, 2005
  10. T-bone Sanchez

Dev Moderator

He has applied a finish to them. Can you not see the bluetac in the pictures man?:D

Joking apart, as I of several guys here who have heard Ju's speakers I'd recommend them very highly. I can't think of what else you can buy for the money that would come close (excluding S/H bargains like my Tannoys:)).

Dev, Jul 15, 2005
  11. T-bone Sanchez

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

A horn design with a full range cone because it's smaller ?? :D I know Im missing something here..

Its true you can put things like Everests and GRFs in room corners, but they are frikkin huuge!

Or did you mean something like ''the wall'' Jordan design?

bottleneck, Jul 15, 2005
  12. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Out of interest, how bigs your room Julian?

13. T-bone Sanchez

about 15ft wide at the wide (speaker) end narrowing to about 12ft at the other end and 23ft long. i do suffer from a bass peak where the room narrows (which also coincides with the listening position :grrr: ) but i've lessend this by careful positioning into the room and a bit of extra stuffing behind the bass and mid cones (this is the big advantage of diy speakers and tl's in particular - you can faff without ruining their resale value). if that's not enough you could try fiddling with the crossovers (you get instructions on what to change - resistor values and inductor windings to get various results and there's more on the web too).
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Jul 15, 2005
  14. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

hmmmmm, I might make up a rough carcass to see how they would look in my room. I did a search over on the WAD forum and theres quite a few using the same speaker as yours.

Ask a Question