New squeezebox 4 called 'duet'

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lAmBoY, Jan 7, 2008.

1. lAmBoY

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

lAmBoY, Jan 7, 2008
  2. lAmBoY

Dev Moderator

Thanks lamboy. Slightly disappointed with the "802.11g Wi-Fi – no 802.11n upgrade just yet", but I suppose this is because the N standards aren't fully ratified yet.

On the plus side I like the new remote.

Dev, Jan 7, 2008
  3. lAmBoY

dominicT former member

This should give the Sonos more of a run for its money! Still like the look of the remote on the Sonos better.

dominicT, Jan 7, 2008
  4. lAmBoY

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Any idea what the UK price is likely to be?

MO!, Jan 9, 2008
  5. lAmBoY

scolarest

scolarest, Jan 10, 2008
  6. lAmBoY

zygote23

The remote looks shit IMHO. Too long and screen too small. I'd be quicker to buy a Nokia N800 I think.

zygote23, Jan 10, 2008
  7. lAmBoY

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Sort of funky, but it doesn't really appeal to me. They've changed the technical spec as compared to the SB3 (which it is not clear is to be discontinued... I suspect they're aimed at slightly different niches) - with a change from TI to wolfson for the DAC and no doubt other things too. I wonder how the sound compares?

I'm a little dissappointed because I'm not sure how wide the appeal for this is when there's a few other things that they could be using logitech money for - a slim devices/logitech slimserver device, or something similar format to the transporter with on-board storage? How about a squeezebox alarm clock, aimed at the same market as those bose alarm clocks? A portable player - eg 100GB solid-state and concentrate on a really good (ie audiophile) quality headphone out? Slim devices could do a lot. I fear that using the logitech brand rather than slim will make it harder for them to compete in some areas though.

I-S, Jan 11, 2008
  8. lAmBoY

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Thing is, the Nokia and similar approaches such as a web interface in a laptop have to fetch and render a web page, so the new remote is said to be somewhat snappier in response. I'll probably give one a try because the web interface can be sluggish from the NAS/slimserver I use, because they tend not to have powerful processors.

SteveC, Jan 11, 2008
Ask a Question