new standmounts

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by pixies, Mar 2, 2011.

1. pixies

pixies a menace to society

I would like to change my dynaudio audience 50's for something a little sexier. They can be a little hard at times. I am quite attracted to some Acoustic Energy AE1 classics, ATC SMC11's or Proac tabletttes. Any one have any opiinions on any of these speakers? The AE1's really appeal as I have wanted a pair since they first came out but they were way beyond my budget at the time.

pixies, Mar 2, 2011
  2. pixies

Audiologica Audiologica Ltd

AE1 Classic

Hi Pixies

The build-quality of the Classics is fantastic and they look gorgeous in the gloss-cherry veneer finish. I big sound from such a small speaker but do like lots of power to get the best out of them. Happy to arrange a home demo...

Regards,
    Richard
    Audiologica.co.uk

Audiologica, Mar 2, 2011
  3. pixies

Cable Monkey

I found ProAc (1sc's) softened an issue I had with hard treble on some recordings. The speakers replaced were metal domed B&W 705's.

Cable Monkey, Mar 2, 2011
  4. pixies

RobHolt Moderator

1SC and Tabs both have a 'smile' response - sort of loudness contour that gives them a big and easy quality. Certainly worth a try if you find ATC and Dynaudio a little aggressive.

RobHolt, Mar 2, 2011
  5. pixies

wilsonlaidlaw

I have just replaced my warm brown sounding Quad 12L2's with ATC-SCM 19's on my UK sitting room system. Huge increase in clarity and staging but they are very much at the cool end of the spectrum. I mainly listen to classical music and I am finding them occasionally slightly too aggressive and cold. I am using a Musical Fidelity XP100 pre-amp and Avondale uprated Quad 606 power amp. Having caught yet another case of "upgradeitis" I am thinking of going back to using a Quad pre-amp with slope controls, so that I can do the warming if required. My old 66 pre-amp got fried in a lightning strike. I would probably go for a 99 pre or 99CDP-2 combined pre/cd player.

Do folks miss tone controls which are now regarded as infra-dig in the high end hi-fi world. Is this arrogance on the part of hi-fi makers, cheerfully ignoring the differences in room acoustics and the sound balance of recorded music. On my big system in France (Meridian G02 Pre/ MF KW550 Monoblocs/Klipschorn Reference Mk4 speakers and JBL 550 subwoofer, I have ended up putting in a LA acoustics SA31EQ room acoustic tailoring system between the pre and the monoblocs. My room acoustics are difficult in a 1970's style avant garde house, with a 50 foot x 30 foot open plan area made from stone, steel, glass and aluminium plus a ceramic tiled floor.

Any other pre-amplifiers around with tone controls nowadays other than the Quad?

Wilson

wilsonlaidlaw, Mar 2, 2011
Ask a Question