New stereo system - 1/3 of the way there!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Matt F, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Matt F

Matt F

The power amp has landed and I think I've chosen well:

Bel Canto eVo2 :banana:

Second hand of course.

Now need to get me that Quad 99 CD-P (no need for a pre-amp of course) and then find some pretty floorstanders that will be happy near the wall - might try out those new PMC GB1's that are getting good reviews.

Matt.

Matt F, Jul 25, 2004
  2. Matt F

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Matt,

A rather good choice if I may say so :)

wadia-miester, Jul 25, 2004
  3. Matt F

analoguekid Planet Rush

Matt I had the FB1's and found they neede at least 18" from wall, the Gb1's may not go as close as you need. Just a warning, as other than that they was pretty good, toss up for me between them and GR20's Pmc's won. I still know where you can get my old pair, they have about 4 months runnig and are mint complete with all packaging, haven't been used since, they are in oak guys asking around £875 but may be open to offers pm if interested, I have no connection with seeler and nothing to gain from sale, only trying to help as know their provenance.

analoguekid, Jul 25, 2004
  4. Matt F

Matt F

Cheers analogue - in fact there are a pair of FB1's on hififorsale.com at a pretty good price (£795). There's also a pair of cherry GR20's for £750. I just think the FB1's are too big and the GR20's are rear ported which ain't good for me.

At least with the GB1's I could try a pair out at home first. There are also those new Spendor S5e's which are pretty slim and said to work well near the wall.

In fact I was toying with going for KEF Ref 1-2's - there was a pair on ebay that ended today at £700 - not that cheap seeing what new ones were selling for a while back but I know I like their sound and they should be fine near the wall (they even have a setting to compensate for it I think). I didn't go for them in the end as I wasn't sure they'd go deep enough for my liking - I used to have the Ref 2-2's and their bass was fine but the 1-2's don't go nearly as deep.

Matt.

Matt F, Jul 25, 2004
  5. Matt F

Class A

Matt

http://www.hifiguy.co.uk got a pair of kef ref2 for £650 and a pair of kef ref 105/3 for £595...dave take offers too. The bass from the 105/3 will blow you awy....check it out.

Class A, Jul 25, 2004
  6. Matt F

HenryT

First we had the Meadowlark Maffia, now it looks as if we have an emerging Bel Canto Brigade. :)

HenryT, Jul 26, 2004
  7. Matt F

lordsummit moderate mod

YOu leave the Meadowlark mafia alone or we'll come and change your CD player for a goodmans

lordsummit, Jul 26, 2004
  8. Matt F

yogus

Matt

If you do decide to get the PMCs, let us know how you get along with them in conjunction with the eVos.

I own FB1s, and I'm contemplating getting the eVo 2i genII integrated since they cost brand new the same as US RRP where I live. However, I have no opportunity to audition so its kind of a blind purchase. Either that or the new Bryston 100w integrated coming out shortly.

yogus, Jul 26, 2004
  9. Matt F

analoguekid Planet Rush

PMC FB1 respond well to bryston powerpacs, 60 and 120 watt monos that affix to back of speaker, then you could run with belcanto pre?

analoguekid, Jul 26, 2004
  10. Matt F

I'll be straight here, the Bryston's aint in the same league as the Evo's having owned both at the same time, its chalk and cheese, thats not to say the Bryston's are bad, they've not they are pretty good, just when you've heard them back to back its a no-brainer :)

wadia-miester, Jul 26, 2004
  11. Matt F

yogus

How well does a eVo 2i integrated do "slam"? bear in mind, this is the integrated not a bridged/dual diff eVo4.

(I'm measuring rack space... I must be really tempted right now)

yogus, Jul 26, 2004
  12. Matt F

Very Well Yogus

wadia-miester, Jul 26, 2004
  13. Matt F

penance Arrogant Cock

Matt
    How much did you get it for?

penance, Jul 26, 2004
  14. Matt F

Matt F

Ooh now there's personal question - it was somewhere between £1200 and £1400.

Funnily enough, the guy selling it was replacing it with the Evo2 integrated which suggests the performance of the two is pretty close.

I must say I was amazed at the physical weight of the beast - I had this idea in my head - oh, class T digital etc., bound to be as light as a feather - not a bit of it - I could have done with a wheelbarrow to carry it down the street!

Thanks for the tip on the Kef Ref 2's - I had noticed them but I thought the series two Refs are said to be better.

I also spotted a pair of Castle Howard 3's on hififorsale at a good price but the guy omitted to mention what finish they are in.

Matt.

Matt F, Jul 26, 2004
  15. Matt F

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

matt! I pointed those kef's out to you ages ago! :S ?! u must be losing it mate!!

:)
    Chris

bottleneck, Jul 26, 2004
  16. Matt F

Matt F

Yep - I remember you doing so - they look very nice and if they were Ref 2-2's I'd snap them up. I'm kind of regretting not going for the 1-2's on ebay yesterday as I could have probably secured them for £720.

There are a lovely pair of Spendor SP2/3e's on ebay at a good price just now but, unfortunately for me, they're in rosewood and I want cherry/yew.
    Actually, there are also a pair of Wilson Benesch Actors on there with a starting price of £800 - kind of think they'll go for a bit more than this.

Another pair that spring to mind are the AVI Biggatrons (always well reviewed) - sealed box and not mega bass so they might work well near the wall. I would prefer floorstanders ideally but you can pick up Biggatrons quite cheaply.

Matt.

Matt F, Jul 26, 2004
  17. Matt F

adam

A good choice,I use that power amp,and have been delighted with mine,very clean,powerful and stunning control of bass,very nice,using mine with some B&W P6 floorstanders,really cheap nowdays,wouldn't mind some B&W 802s3 matrix,as they should be cheap now,as the 802N is a bit too rich for me.

adam, Jul 26, 2004
  18. Matt F

bemcsa

For those that have heard the integrated and evo2 power amp, is there much difference in performance? I noticed the power output is the same.

Regarding running in bridged mode, is one evo4 the same as 2 evo2's. If it is, the evo4 is a lot cheaper.

Matt, I hope you enjoy your bargain from Frome.

bemcsa, Jul 26, 2004
Ask a Question