new to hifi upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sanchezxxx, Apr 12, 2007.

1. sanchezxxx

sanchezxxx

Hi,

Unfortuanately I bought all my new hifi components before I found this excellent forum and now feel it is time to upgrade already. My current system is:
    Musical Fidelity X-A1 amp
    Marantz cd6000 KI signature cd player
    Blueroom minipod speakers

While it doesn't sound bad I'm sure I could achieve much better but don't know what the most cost effective upgrade would be. On GSRAIs advice I have swapped the QED silver anniversary xt(damn those what hi fi guys) sp cable for vanne damme which took away a lot of brightness.

I was thinking of poss using a musical fidelity x10d valve buffer or beresford dac to improve the quality of signal going to the amp but am not sure. I also thought a speaker upgrade may be better, I bought the bluerooms because of looks and T3 review but think they may lack a little bass. Basically I am new to proper hifi and any advice regarding the most effective upgrade from the pros would be much appreciated.

sanchezxxx, Apr 12, 2007
  2. sanchezxxx

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Mate

I think a lot will depend on how much money you can afford to throw at it.

Of the components listed, I'd probably keep the CD player longest in an upgrade.

How big is your room too?

Can't really say more without those 2 bits of info, it will help others too..

All the best, and welcome to ZG

bottleneck, Apr 12, 2007
  3. sanchezxxx

zanash

With no idea of budget ...its difficult to say ....certainly the cdp and amp are the stronger components ....

where are you and what size room do you have ?

zanash, Apr 12, 2007
  4. sanchezxxx

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, first upgrade would be the speakers imo...

mr cat, Apr 12, 2007
  5. sanchezxxx

SMEagol Because we wants it...

I had an X10D valve buffer, and it certainly helped my Alchemist CD player lose its constipated sound, however looking at a metre of RCA in and a Metre of RCA out there was always a nagging doubt that maybe the sound was still probably compromised.

If its a mark 1 (the cylindrical shape) Junk the valves and buy some new ones as the stock ones aren't that great. If you can get away with short interconnects say 0.5m it might be okay, but I'm fanatical about short signal paths, and couldn't look at it after a bit! however the V3 incarnation has had some really great reviews and looks cool too!

If you are prepared to take a potential caning on import duty and VAT this still looks like a really great buy : http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AMUFIX10V3.

This uses MUVista valves which are meant to be stunning.

On my hitlist would probably be the speakers. I had a marantz from the same family as yours and that sounded a bit bright to begin with so coupled with minipods I see what you mean about brightness. Speakers! IMHO.

SMEagol, Apr 12, 2007
  6. sanchezxxx

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Why not check out the private ads section on here, theres some great items. Listen to the sages on here first before being too rash though!

SMEagol, Apr 12, 2007
Ask a Question