New toys

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sideshowbob, Feb 4, 2004.

1. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Trisha

A couple of secondhand bargains arrived this morning: a fully refurbed Leak Stereo 20 power amp (in very nice condition), and a Linn Classik.

Won't be able to try them out until I get them home this evening, but a quick inspection shows that the Classik uses Deltron speaker connectors. Anyone know if I can get a standard 4mm banana plug in there if I remove the inner plastic plug from the connector? Or do I need to reterminate my cables? Haven't had a chance to investigate in any detail yet.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Feb 4, 2004
  2. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Trisha

Well, obviously none of youse lot know...

Turns out I need BFA connectors. There's no way to get a banana in there.

Currently using it as a preamp into the Leak into Cura CA10s. Very nice, but not a patch on the usual setup, I'm relieved to say.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Feb 4, 2004
  3. sideshowbob

merlin

Ian,

The Classik is usually sold with the requisite cables. Maybe the guy has them somewhere? I like the Classik, with a decent pair of standmounts it is very satisfying to these ears, if a little tonally dry.

merlin, Feb 4, 2004
  4. sideshowbob

Sgt Rock

Ian,

I might have some BFA's in my Cyrus boxes, I'll have a look over the weekend.

Sgt Rock, Feb 4, 2004
  5. sideshowbob

Sgt Rock

Ian,

I've got 12, pm me if you want them.

Sgt Rock, Feb 4, 2004
  6. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Trisha

Apparently so, but it was secondhand and the cheapest Classik I've ever seen (£325), so the lack of speaker cables isn't a big deal. TBH, I don't really need one, but couldn't resist... It'll end up on kitchen duties, after I've given it a couple of weeks as the main system.

Sgt Rock - thanks for the offer, much appreciated, but I'll be picking some up on Friday.

Will be an interesting comparison with the ATC setup.

The Leak's a lovely thing, especially with acoustic music, as you'd expect. Very pleased with it, will be ideal for those pipe and slipper moments. Plan ATM is to use it with the ATC pre, I need to make up some XLR->phono cables at the weekend.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Feb 4, 2004
  7. sideshowbob

Robbo

Careful there, Ian! You are beginning to sound like an equipment junkie!

Robbo, Feb 4, 2004
  8. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Trisha

I am an equipment junkie, there's no "beginning" about it. Fortunately, it's at the cheaper end of the market...

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Feb 4, 2004
  9. sideshowbob

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

£325 for a Classik sounds like an excellent deal. Not familar with it, but have heard very good reports from a couple of owners of them at work. Again, never heard them, but Leak stuff is classic kit!

nsherin, Feb 4, 2004
  10. sideshowbob

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Hi Ian

Be interested as to what you think of the Leak, I've been told that if Leak were still about they'd be similar to Quad but better at it. The mid seventies stuff I had here I though was was a bit rough and bright (probably to balance their speakers of the time the 2020, 2030 etc.), but the earlier Leak 20 amp is very well regarded.

I used to drill out the backs of QED's Airlock range of BFA connectors so that standard 4mm plugs would push into the back. Saves b*ggering about reterminating. Give me a shout if it sounds useful, I might still have some I've converted knocking about.

Cheers

timpy, Feb 5, 2004
  11. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Trisha

Immediate reaction when swapped for the ATC setup was, hmmm, sounds very rolled off at the frequency extremes (of course), and a bit vague and soft-edged all round. After an hour or so, it just sounds very enjoyable indeed. Quite a punchy little bugger, but the Curas are a reasonably benign load. You would need pretty efficient speakers to play at earth-shaking volumes. Not the last word in detail, but not the treacly presentation some people associate with valves. I reckon it's quite a useable real-world power amp, not just a nostalgic deviation.

This one has been modded by Classique Sounds, with RCA inputs, and revalved with Mullards. They go for a reasonable price, around £400 fully refurbed in good condition, a lot less if they need working on. Given how much Quad IIs can go for nowadays, that seems like a reasonable deal.

Leak preamps are not much cop, by all accounts, so probably best used with a modern pre. Passive preamps seem to be the most favoured by Leak afficionados. The Classik works surprisingly well with it.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Feb 5, 2004
  12. sideshowbob

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I've got a Leak Stereo 20 power amp as well. The caps aren't in their original casing which is a shame. It would be worth more if they were.

I will probably sell it. If I was going to keep it I would have it modified to Chris Found's specifications (one of the London hi-fi mob).

Good amp though.

7_V, Feb 5, 2004
  13. sideshowbob

Paul Duerden

Cheers Ian

Looks like you've got some interesting new kit. The Croft pre amps seem to be very highly thought of.

You have just given me an idea. for the Mana Forum exhibition of erections, How about I sell my system and have a Linn Classik on phase 25?

Paul Duerden, Feb 5, 2004
  14. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Trisha

Managed to get some BFA connectors yesterday, so have had the Classik going as the main system for a while over the last couple of days.

Not bad at all. Loses a bit of detail and resolution compared to the ATC setup, and doesn't have as much life and speed, but that's as likely down to the speakers as anything, and after a few hours you forget what you're missing anyway. Good headphone amp built in, and the tuner's excellent, extremely sensitive, which is a basic requirement in a tuner IMO, and it locks onto a signal very well.

As to the CD player section, it's fine. If I was less of a gearhead I could live with one of these. Three external inputs, so I've got the phono stage running through it as well, nicely comprehensive and intelligent control software, very precise volume adjustment in well-judged small increments. Too good to just use it in the kitchen probably, I'm severely tempted to slot it into the main ATC setup and use it (via its tape out into the ATC pre) as my main CD player and tuner for a while.

I'm impressed.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Feb 6, 2004
  15. sideshowbob

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Thought I had better drop by:D

The cd/amp/tuner Classik isn't supposed to sound as good as the earlier cd/amp only ones, being brighter and not as interesting to listen to. However for kitchen duties (and computer duties in my case) I think they're great.

Timpy, what is it that Leak would do better than Quad? I'd love to know ;)

IMHO the Quad II's are better than the Leak ST20. There are always debates about it and having heard both on many occassions I know which I prefer. Mind you Ian we could have a comparison session some time.

I agree with V_7 re the Chris Found/Andy Evans ST20. Not heard his one but another guys (John Frake) and it is a definate step up. Still not the detail some require, but the frequency extremes are much better and it feels like it has more power than the 12 watts would suggest.

LiloLee, Feb 6, 2004
  16. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Trisha

I'm back on the Leak ATM, with the Classik as a pre again, and it's rockin' good.

Will leave it like that over the weekend, bored with swapping things around now.

Lee, pop over whenever you like.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Feb 6, 2004
Ask a Question