New TT around 300 £

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Thom PC, May 24, 2004.

1. Thom PC

Thom PC

I'm looking to buy a new turntable around the 300 £ mark. Obvious contenders are Rega P3 and Project RPM 4. Does any of you have any comments on these two candidates, or any other I should be looking at?

Thom

Thom PC, May 24, 2004
  2. Thom PC

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Both worthy at the price. You might also consider the Project 2 (not the Debut II which is a cheaper model), which is a very similar deck to the RPM 4, but a bit cheaper and more traditional looking - in fact not at all dissimilar from the Rega.

The Rega probably is the better buy due to the upgradability of the arm with products from Origin Live and Michell. I suspect it may keep its value better as well.

Uncle Ants, May 24, 2004
  3. Thom PC

Lt Cdr Data om

I love my rega p2, preferred it over a gyrodek:eek: true

Lt Cdr Data, May 24, 2004
  4. Thom PC

danza

I have a heavily mutilated Ariston RD80SL. I'd race an LP12 with it anyday...

danza, May 24, 2004
  5. Thom PC

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Really!? In what way!?!? HOW!?

Seriously; my NAD 533 (made by Rega - a P2 clone) is miles behind the Planar 3 I use, and that's miles behind a Gyro (although admittedly, the Gyro was using a QC PSU (back in 1998)...

I've raced my Planar 3 against an LP12 (when I dem'd it at the vendor's house). Guess which won? I just don't get this "LP12 is king" mantra most people use... It's not a horrific deck, but it's not that praiseworthy IMHO either...

"Don't... Don't... Don't believe the hype" :)

domfjbrown, May 25, 2004
  6. Thom PC

Lt Cdr Data om

Well I got the gyro VC, and boy was it boring. Mechanical Michell. Really muted dynamics, bit bright, no life in the thing at all. the nad was much more fun. I was quite horrified.
    Nothing wrong with the arm, cartridge or set up, made sure of that.
    it was the same effect with the musical fidelity a1001 against a pioneer a400, I flogged the a1001 as it was dead in comparison.

Lt Cdr Data, May 25, 2004
Ask a Question