New Turntable Mat......by Ikea!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by kgb144, Jan 2, 2006.

1. kgb144

kgb144

Sometimes a bit of post New Year shopping can bring unexpected benefits. Earlier today we were in our local Ikea to pick up a couple of things and while meandering through the "market hall" bit I noticed some new placemats on offer at 99p each. The placemats are fairly thin (2-3mm) and appear to be made from a closed cell foam. The mat is plain on one side and the other has a series of 3-4mm concentric rings with a 2mm groove; they are available in black, yellow, red, blue and I think purple. The mat is about 400mm in diameter, ideal for a turntable I thought.

Anyway, I decided 99p was cheap enough to take a punt on a bought one to try as a turntable mat. I got it home and took the platter off my LP12 and drew a circle as a guide. Using the next groove in I carefully cut around using some kitchen scissors, I then cut out the spindle hole using a sharp craft knife.

I put the platter back on the LP12 and using the standard felt mat I played a track from a fav LP. I then swapped the felt mat for my new Ikea mat and played the same track. I then called my wife, who has great ears and repeated the process. When I played the track using the new mat she immediately said, "It sounds very different, the sound is bigger and more solid like real instruments."

Bass is beter defined and the mid band is smoother. Overall I am very impressed and for 99p it is a tweak worth trying. My LP12 is now happily spinning with a new red turntable mat :D .

Try it and see what you think.

ft

kgb144, Jan 2, 2006
  2. kgb144

ditton happy old soul

be great for those Abba albums ;-)

ditton, Jan 2, 2006
  3. kgb144

Tenson Moderator

Are you sure your wife doesn't have conditioned responses to keep you happy? :D

Red would look cool though!

Tenson, Jan 2, 2006
  4. kgb144

mr cat Member of the month

I guess these'll be appearing on ebay anytime soon... ;)

mr cat, Jan 3, 2006
  5. kgb144

kgb144

Update on the new mat,

My son who is studying music and audio engineering has just listened to the same test and agrees that the new mat changes the sound for the better. Now he has much better ears than me so I bow to his greater musical and engineering knowledge. It may not be a tweak for everyone but at 99p it is a little bit of fun in the post New Year gloom.

ft

kgb144, Jan 3, 2006
  6. kgb144

ListeningEar

IKEA have just opened in Milton Keynes near to where I live so I had planned a visit there sometime soon ;)

99p sure does look more attractive that the prices of the Ringmat gear!!!

Not that I am making any presumptions that it anywhere near as good.

ListeningEar, Jan 3, 2006
  7. kgb144

Tenson Moderator

kgb114, what course is your son doing? I finished a few a while back they are good fun! (Actually the B-TEC wasn't all that fun, but I hardly went in anyway so I don't mind! The live work was good)

Tenson, Jan 3, 2006
Ask a Question