newbie amp help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by captainchap, Jul 17, 2008.

1. captainchap

captainchap

hi guys,

i'm pretty much a noob when it comes to hifi but i've been encouraged to kit myself out with a decent system. i've got everything i need except an amp. now, i've been looking over ebay and have found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audio-Analogu...246222547QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290246222547

i was wondering if the experts among you could tell me if this was a good make of amp and how much i should bid to get a good deal for it.

thanks ppl

ps sorry if this thread is in the wrong place

captainchap, Jul 17, 2008
  2. captainchap

brca Rookie

I don't know about the price, but you can not go wrong with Audio Analogue.
    What speakers do you have?

brca, Jul 17, 2008
  3. captainchap

mr cat Member of the month

mr cat, Jul 17, 2008
  4. captainchap

captainchap

hi brca, my speakers are Harbeth and a friend of mine is getting me some gold-plated cables for them which he assures me is a good thing. lol

i really like the look of that amp, mr cat, but i have a feeling that that price is gonna rocket up into the 200/300s if its buy it now value is anything to go by.

right now i've kinda got a budget of about £100. i could always bid for the Cairn amp up to that price but i dont think it'd stay that low. if i were to offer the guy selling the audio analogue £100 to sell right now, would that be a money-saver for me?

thanks for the replies guys.

captainchap, Jul 18, 2008
  5. captainchap

Andy 831

To be honest I would hang on and let the Auctions run their course, there is not much selling at the moment and one or two bargains to be had, You never know either amp might come in under budget, and if you miss them there will probably be another one along soon.

Just my two penneth

Andy 831, Jul 18, 2008
  6. captainchap

DavidF

I would say save upa bit and run with Mr.Cs suggestion.

:)

DavidF, Jul 18, 2008
  7. captainchap

D Louth 77

Hi captainchap

It is very hard to help when we don't know what the other items are in your system or the size of room(how its made up) and what type of music you like.
    Audio Analogue make nice products but buying without hearing it with your other items? Is a dangerous thing to do as you may not like the sound and then have to go to the hassle and cost of getting rid of it and maybe loose some money(the item may also be faulty or not as described always a danger on e-bay).

Safest thing to do would be to find a good dealer and avail of their demo facilities and knowledge. Any good friendly dealer will not mind you bringing your kit with you to the demo(something you must do) and a selection of music you like and know well.
    Then and you say you know nothing(heck we were all like that once) don't be worried have a listen and make your mind up!!! It must be your choice don't allow yourself to be guided to firmly towards any item,you may not like it and it is your ears that will have to live with it and your money. If your not sure even if you can't describe why ,don't worry about it. A lot of people get to caught up in the jargon. Hi-fi does have a language but your gut feeling is more than likely going to be right. If things aren't right the dealer should be able to explain why and show you by letting you hear it when it is right.

A lot of people are put of doing this ,thinking that the risks of e-bay is a safer root,its not especially if you know very little(sometimes even when you know a lot).

Most Dealers are nice people who can help and if you don't like the dealer find another who you do like. Always ring first explain what your looking for ,rough budget,what you already have,your room,taste in music and then book a demo.A home demo/loan might be offered too ,if so avail of it. There is no real alternative to trying in your own home;any good dealer should allow this.

Only buy when your happy and buy from the dealer who helped you.

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Jul 18, 2008
  8. captainchap

dos

Hi, I'm selling a mint rotel ra-04 budget amp (it's in the classifieds).
    As a 1st amp it's fantastic vfm.

dos, Jul 18, 2008
  9. captainchap

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

You'll be doing extremely well if you get that Puccini SE for £100.

I would expect it to go for at least double that, perhaps triple.

Your Harbeths deserve a good amp though, so I think you're doing the right thing by looking at quality amplification.

If you're budget is sub £100 - perhaps a Cyrus like this - would be a good place to start http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CYRUS-TWO-AMP...hash=item320275306730&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

bottleneck, Jul 18, 2008
  10. captainchap

captainchap

thanks for all the replies guys. im gonna keep looking but i think as D Louth says itd probably be better to buy something that i can actually test out first and from a reputable dealer.

ebay's always handy for a browse though. lol

captainchap, Jul 19, 2008
  11. captainchap

mr cat Member of the month

true...but there are some bargains to be had on the 2nd hand market... :)

mr cat, Jul 19, 2008
  12. captainchap

scott_01

I owned a Puccini SE when they first came out and really enjoyed it. Without indulging in too much HiFi speak I found it very natural tonally, but as time wore on I did notice that timing and bass control were not it's strong point.

I used it with Rega Jura's (87db I think) and felt they would have benefited from an amp with more 'grip'.

For under £100 you will have something of a bargain. I don't know anything about the Harbeths other than by reputation. Why not give them a call or try the bloke at:

www.stereonow.co.uk

Oh I paid £350 new eight years ago.

scott_01, Jul 19, 2008
  13. captainchap

MO! MOnkey`ead!

MO!, Jul 19, 2008
  14. captainchap

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Jul 19, 2008
  15. captainchap

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Uncle Ants, Jul 19, 2008