Newbie - Hi-Fi Mags

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lynn SkeptiK, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Lynn SkeptiK

zanash

wow ....

its almost as if hes never listen to any gear.....he's certainly in the wrong hobby ....

this chap gives "naysayer's" a bad name....

zanash, Jun 12, 2007
  2. Lynn SkeptiK

Dev Moderator

Is there a good naysayer in your book Pete? :D.

Dev, Jun 12, 2007
  3. Lynn SkeptiK

zanash

ooooh

now you've got me !

actually yes .....the ones that will try something and then still say it wont work ..unfortunately most just say can't work so I won't try it ..

zanash, Jun 12, 2007
  4. Lynn SkeptiK

Dev Moderator

To be pedantic, they cannot be called naysayers since they've actually tried it.

Dev, Jun 12, 2007
  5. Lynn SkeptiK

Joe

Quote from memory: 'They make the Valhalla cables look like a bargain' which translates: 'they are even more laughably over-priced than the Valhalla cables'.

Joe, Jun 12, 2007
  6. Lynn SkeptiK

Lynn SkeptiK

So does that Audio Critic guy only review loudspeakers or what?

Seems like all his amplifier reviews should just say:

"It works."

LS

Lynn SkeptiK, Jun 12, 2007
  7. Lynn SkeptiK

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Sort of ... I just skim read his survey of various preamps ... does it work? How does it work? does it have low distortion? is the RIAA accurate (if there is a phono stage)? what's the build quality? are pretty much the criteria from what I can see (I skim read it because the survey was over 30 pages long and contained a lot of sums). Basically its objectivist heaven from what I can see. Its the Anti Plush. They would complement one another ... well they would if I believed a word I read in Plush.

Uncle Ants, Jun 12, 2007
  8. Lynn SkeptiK

Lynn SkeptiK

Thanks for your replies everyone...very interesting.

LS

Lynn SkeptiK, Jun 20, 2007
  9. Lynn SkeptiK

johnhunt recidivist

i buy them peroidically,appropriatly i guess. They're mostly not very good and the writing is poor, but what's that got to do with anything?

johnhunt, Jun 20, 2007
  10. Lynn SkeptiK

Toride

Spot on Sideshowbob.

Largely given up on Hifi Choice and Hifi News - it has to be a very long train journey!
    Still enjoy Hifi World, despite the occasionally 'iffy' English. Would like more DIY/kit stuff from a range of manufacturers, but unlikely given the links to WAD.
    Favourite is probably Stereophile. Art Dudley is excellent. Letters section can be amusing - angry subscribers!

Toride, Jun 20, 2007
  11. Lynn SkeptiK

johnhunt recidivist

ian

i must try and read that silly money cable piece

John

johnhunt, Jun 20, 2007
  12. Lynn SkeptiK

aquapiranha

Please refrain from using the words "silly", "money" and "cable" as there are those here who would call you a naysayer, for not buying it to try first.

I do not trust hifi mags, especially since they rely on the advertising money from the manufacturers who's products they review to pay their wages.

aquapiranha, Jun 20, 2007
  13. Lynn SkeptiK

Lynn SkeptiK

Actually, looking back on what I used to read in the mags in the 80s and early 90s, I think that they did more to undermine hi-fi than anything else. I remember when as a newbie to the scene, not an issue passed without ‘the greatest CD player ever’ or ‘the ultimate budget super-amp’ was announced. Invariably, they turned out to be virtually indistinguishable from the model that they superseded. People with a lot of experience would have realised this, but I’m sure that many a newbie, myself included, was taken in and wasted money on upgrades that made no appreciable difference to the quality of their system. Eventually, I think this overselling led to a lot of disenchantment with the hobby. Remember, this was pre-WWW, when a friendly poster with a bit more grass flattened couldn’t deconstruct the hype for you and direct you towards a more worthwhile upgrade. If in this age of i-pod and multi-channel audio, the mags are struggling to entice the young back into quality reproduction, then they must take a lot of the blame themselves IMHO.

LS

Lynn SkeptiK, Jun 20, 2007
  14. Lynn SkeptiK

sideshowbob Trisha

You'll love it. £8.5K for a 1 metre pair of ICs, £17.5K for 3 metres of speaker cable. So Roy Gregory loves it, obviously, and prattles on at great length about its "harmonic weight and complexity", all very amusing and meaningless, and about how it makes Nordost's slightly less hilariously priced bits of wire seem like a bargain. I was reading it on a train and had to stop, I was laughing out loud and getting funny looks from the other passengers.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 20, 2007
  15. Lynn SkeptiK

SMEagol Because we wants it...

So.... based on the standard 10% budget rule for cabling, that would make your hifi £260,000 - haw haw!!!! :D:D:D

SMEagol, Jun 20, 2007
  16. Lynn SkeptiK

wolfgang

Interesting observation. Read what this mag said.

It does makes you wonder who has been smoking funny stuffs isn't.

wolfgang, Jun 23, 2007
  17. Lynn SkeptiK

Lynn SkeptiK

Hi Wolfgang

I didn’t mean to imply that upgrading from a Sundung Kaboomo CD Mk 582 SE to a Wadia wouldn’t bring improvements, just that reviewers who exaggerated the differences between this year’s model and last year’s were misleading buyers into making unnecessary purchases.

I think this led to many people being sceptical about hi-fi. Remember the Smith and Jones sketch anyone?

LS

Lynn SkeptiK, Jun 23, 2007
  18. Lynn SkeptiK

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

An important point, and very well made in my opinion.

I bought products at first based on magazine reviews. It didn't even cross my mind that 'what hifi' or 'hifi choice' (which were the magazines catering for my price range) would say something that couldn't be taken at face value.

After all, I'd read ''which'' reports on things like dishwashers, t.v.'s etc and thought they made fair and reasonable comment. Why should a hifi magazine be any different?

The only really true ''free press'' is the internet.

bottleneck, Jun 23, 2007
  19. Lynn SkeptiK

wolfgang

Question is does it really? I am not talking about using this or that measuring tools but if people really listen using their ears only, without looking the labels in front of the boxes? I think I have over stayed my wellcome again ....... until my next visit.

wolfgang, Jun 23, 2007
  20. Lynn SkeptiK

Dev Moderator

I think it's a good question. IMO, recommendation from Internet forums is no worse than from certain magazines. The most important thing is to listen to kit in your environment and then decide. Having said that, I often buy kit without listening to it:(.

Dev, Jun 23, 2007
Ask a Question