Newer old sounding tube amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ClashCityRocker, Nov 1, 2005.

1. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker

I am lookin for a used integrated tube amp that have that old classic tube sound ie. warm, sugary sweet, lacking in dynamics, dark kinda sound. Any recommendation for something less than GBP400? Hoping to partner it with a pair of Vienna Acoustics Bach. Thanks!

ClashCityRocker, Nov 1, 2005
  2. ClashCityRocker

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Nov 1, 2005
  3. ClashCityRocker

alexs2

If you're from Singapore,you may have more luck looking to some of the newer offerings from China etc like the Consonance range,which should be pretty well priced,out your way...the 300B integrated from them is somewhat overbudget here,but should be closer over there.

alexs2, Nov 1, 2005
  4. ClashCityRocker

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Nov 1, 2005
  5. ClashCityRocker

Garmt

Either GOLDEN TUBE AUDIO SE40 or LEAK STEREO 20 from the link above would be great options!

Garmt, Nov 1, 2005
  6. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker

Thanx mates! Someone's sellin a 1 year old Opera Consonance M100plus for about GBP357 here. (New stated as GBP503). Reckon it would give me that kinda sound? I have still not gotten off my butt to pay seller a visit as he stay not too near from me (50 min away by train,thats far for someone in a small country :D ) According to reviews, not really. BTW dynamics are fine, just want that sweet warm old tube cosy sound

ClashCityRocker, Nov 1, 2005
  7. ClashCityRocker

badchamp Thermionic Member

How about one of the older Conrad Johson models ?? Generally a few of those around

Jeff

badchamp, Nov 1, 2005
  8. ClashCityRocker

Anex Thermionic

Aren't the opera things hybrids? In which case no I wouldn't think so.

Anex, Nov 1, 2005
  9. ClashCityRocker

jtc

One of the nice things about valve amps is that you can 'tune' the sound to suit. So, if you want warmth, find out which valves are reputedly 'warm and mushy' and roll! Though my own valve amps are more dynamic than the solid state amps they replaced (despite having a fraction of the power on paper) they can be influenced greatly by varying both the valves and by altering the output taps (for my 6ohm speakers, the 4 ohm connection gives more bass and the 8 ohm is leaner (cleaner? dunno). However, warm and cosy sounding it is not, at least in standard guise...

jtc, Nov 2, 2005
  10. ClashCityRocker

zanash

I bought two VR70 E's for that ........both of which actually sounded very good before I modded them. Now they sound fantastic, but not so old valve sounding. If any one is intrested in my contact pm me.

zanash, Nov 2, 2005
  11. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker

Mates, I have mated a Conrad Johnson PV10a with Plinius 100II. Not old tube sounding at all even with tube rollin (Mullards, Philips and what have you). Tried Jolida and Leo int, nope. Got a 30 year old Luxman ss int, nice easy sound but without the old tube sweetness. The search goes on.. Thanks :)

ClashCityRocker, Nov 2, 2005
  12. ClashCityRocker

Garmt

Then try Leak, Quad or Jadis.

Garmt, Nov 2, 2005
  13. ClashCityRocker

la toilette Downright stupid

My experience of a Leak ST20 was not warm and mushy by any means - very clear in all departments, almost 'modern' sounding :eek:

Quad II's definitely warm and mellow in my experience, a very lovely cuddly sound - but more of an 'old' old sounding tube amp than a 'newer' old sounding tube amp....if you know what I mean (i.e. it's old, not new), so probably not what the quest was for anyhow.

la toilette, Nov 2, 2005
Ask a Question