Next to a substation - cleaner mains?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by thrudge, Mar 12, 2007.

1. thrudge

thrudge

Looks like a new electrical substation is going to be built right nextdoor. Will this give me cleaner mains? Or noisier?

thrudge, Mar 12, 2007
  2. thrudge

jtc

Who knows. I'm six doors away from a substation, and I have DC on my mains... :(

jtc, Mar 12, 2007
  3. thrudge

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

If my late uncles research is anything go to by it will give you a lot more than cleaner/dirtier mains :(

amazingtrade, Mar 12, 2007
  4. thrudge

DavidF

:rolleyes:..... unlucky mate.

DavidF, Mar 12, 2007
  5. thrudge

Bob McC living the life of Riley

It my clean up your mains but you'll never sell your house.

Bob McC, Mar 12, 2007
  6. thrudge

penance Arrogant Cock

Chances are that it wont affect you.
    The new SS is probably to supply somewhere else, unlikely they would change unless there is an issue with the old.

penance, Mar 13, 2007
  7. thrudge

thrudge

Cheers for all the replies, chaps. The consensus seems to be that the substation is Not a Good Thing :( In which case, I hope Penance is right and it has no effect because it feeds somewhere else.

If I do detect a difference, I'll report back. Or move house :eek:

thrudge, Mar 13, 2007
  8. thrudge

zanash

They often create more problems ....electromagnetic radiation is only a step away from ionising radiation in my opinion...not to mention geopathic stress and black streams .....

perhaps you can make a mesh fence to shield yourself from the worst effects ?

zanash, Mar 14, 2007
  9. thrudge

thrudge

Zanash - cheers for the concern, but I should be OK. I generally wear a tinfoil headband (stops the CIA mind-control rays) and most of my clothes are made out of chickenwire, which forms a pretty effective Faraday cage. I'm also eating lots of beans - the empty tins make great shields for the valves.

For what it's worth, I've found Heinz are great are EL34s and the little Cross&Blackwell sausage and beans tins work well with the ECC83s and 84s. That's just my personal experience - 'your mileage may vary' as they say in the US. BTW, I'd definitely recommend removing the paper labels. A few fires taught me that trick.

thrudge, Mar 14, 2007
  10. thrudge

McLogan

Ionising radiation is electromagnetic radiation. Whether or not electromagnetic radiation causes significant ionisation (particularly of biologically-active molecules) depends on the frequency/wavelength/energy of the radiation.

Get a physicist to explain to you the difference between the energy of a 50 Hz electrical field vs say X-rays, and then ask yourself why you should worry about the former.

McLogan, Mar 14, 2007
  11. thrudge

Andy registered grazer

he he :notworthy

Andy, Mar 14, 2007
  12. thrudge

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Excellent. Now go and ask any building society if they are prepared to lend on a property so near a sub station. Their reply will end your brevity.

Bob McC, Mar 14, 2007
  13. thrudge

Andy registered grazer

He was only jesting Bob.
    I thought the idea of someone walking around in a chicken-wire suit and a tinfoil headband was hilarious.
    The way things are going though, it may be reality soon enough.

Andy, Mar 14, 2007
  14. thrudge

thrudge

Hi, Bob. If you were replying to my chickenwire post, I'm assuming you meant 'levity' not 'brevity'. Worry not, sir - I'm in rented accommodation, so no trips to the building society will be required. Thanks for the tip, though; I had no idea substations were so detrimental to house prices. I'm not being sarcastic - I really didn't know, so thank you.

thrudge, Mar 14, 2007
  15. thrudge

anon_bb Honey Badger

EM and ionising radiation are totally different.

anon_bb, Mar 14, 2007
  16. thrudge

Neil

Yep, they are!

Neil, Mar 14, 2007
  17. thrudge

zanash

Who said they were the same ?

take a look at the electromagnetic spectrum ....you will see gama rays and xrays being "only a step away " ..... hence my comment.

Everyone should be aware of the effects of all type of emissions, not just those associated with ionisation , on their health and well being.

zanash, Mar 15, 2007
  18. thrudge

McLogan

Another candidate for a GCE course in basic physics.

McLogan, Mar 15, 2007
  19. thrudge

anon_bb Honey Badger

Gamma and x rays act like particles and have high energy - the em fields (not photons) emitted by sub stations dont.

Visible light is just a step away too.

As I said EM fields are ionising radiation are not the same. Substations dont produce ionising radiation of any kind or any similiar effect. They produce an Em field...

anon_bb, Mar 15, 2007
  20. thrudge

zanash

Suggested reading ......Noddy does emf

http://www.wapa.gov/newsroom/pdf/EMFbook.pdf

As with all radiation ....Time Distance and Shielding are your watch words

from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionizing_radiation

Ionizing radiation is either particle radiation or electromagnetic radiation in which an individual particle/photon carries enough energy to ionize an atom or molecule by completely removing an electron from its orbit. If the individual particles do not carry this amount of energy, it is impossible for even a large flood of particles to cause ionization. These ionizations, if enough occur, can be very destructive to living tissue, and can cause DNA damage and mutations. Examples of particle radiation that are ionizing may be energetic electrons, neutrons, atomic ions or photons. Electromagnetic radiation can cause ionization if the energy per photon, or frequency, is high enough, and thus the wavelength is short enough. The amount of energy required varies between molecules being ionized. X-rays, and gamma rays will ionize almost any molecule or atom; Far ultraviolet, near ultraviolet and visible light are ionizing to some molecules; microwaves and radio waves are non-ionizing radiation.

However, visible light is so common that molecules that are ionized by it will often react nearly spontaneously unless protected by materials that block the visible spectrum. Examples include photographic film and some molecules involved in photosynthesis.

Ionizing radiation has many practical uses, but it is also dangerous to human health. Both aspects are discussed below.

I hope this has cleared things up ......

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007
    zanash, Mar 15, 2007
Ask a Question