Noel lee's switching box

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Saab, May 31, 2004.

1. Saab

Saab

In an interview with HIFI World,he claims he designed a switching box to demonstrate his cables.One flick of a switch and the music switched between the free cable and his own.He went on to say the buyer public were easy to convince becuase they believed their own ears,he even claims that changing cables could have as big effect as changing amps.

So why don't dealers nowadays use a similar device so their customers can hear differences between 2 cables? is it because many years ago,the difference between the cable that was built in the speakers were so bad it was easy to make something better.............but acccepting that arguement means you accept that cables do make a difference,its just harder to hear now because you don't compare bell wire with £500 high end stuff

anyway,just thinking out loud,anyone want to build a switching box?

Saab, May 31, 2004
  2. Saab

Mart Smog Dodger

I think it would be kinda awkward, you can buy switch boxes but you have to have a cable running to it as well as the ones to test running from it.

Any ideas anyone??

Mart, May 31, 2004
  3. Saab

technobear Ursine Audiophile

It's not really necessary. If there is a difference in the sound, it will be obvious. If it isn't then your credit card should remain in your pocket.

Now yesterday, I couldn't hear a difference between my interconnect and one costing several times more. As it happens my CD player has twin outputs and my amp can select sources from the remote so we tried flicking back and forth to discern the differences, however slight they may be. I still couldn't hear a difference.

The mains cables on the other hand made it sound like the whole system had been replaced with a much more expensive one. The difference was immediate and very obvious.

I can see that switch boxes might be useful in a shop situation to save time, but that's all really. For the home hobbyist it shouldn't be necessary. If the difference isn't obvious, save your cash.

What stunned me most yesterday was that I already had a Trichord Powerblock, an Olson Sounds Fantastic and the Eupen cables and all these things had made very obvious improvements to my system, and yet replacing just one Eupen with a better cable gave such obvious and dramatic improvements, it took the whole system to another level :rolleyes:

technobear, Jun 1, 2004
Ask a Question