Noisier mains to come our way?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by penance, Jul 12, 2003.

1. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

linked from naim forum

mains

seems a bit of a bad idea to me

penance, Jul 12, 2003
  2. penance

johnhunt recidivist

Interesting - i thought that Fibre was the connection of choice for such things although i think the LEB Powergen et al use their copper network for comms.

just think juice and music downloading on the same cable. just what will Russ andrews make of it all.

johnhunt, Jul 12, 2003
  3. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

maybe Russ could produce a high voltage cable with a fibre core and ultramegamega clamps built into the braid:eek:

Be interesting to see some spec's on the issue, to see if it will affect mains noise adversly

penance, Jul 12, 2003
  4. penance

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Actually, there's a distinct possibility that it could make things better for hifi users, if the right approach is taken.

For a start, if such a system is to be made to work, the power companies wishing to supply such a service will have to quieten the mains significantly in order that the data not get swamped by spurious signals.

Which leaves the deliberately injected data transmission. However, since you're receiving this for data reasons also, you can extract the added noise. Thus you know what noise has been injected, and you can inject the inverse, cancelling the noise (similar to how a balanced connection works).

Of course, this relies on a device to do this. It's hard to say whether things will be better or worse without such a device, but since it would force the power company to provide a cleaner signal to begin with, it may not be as bad as many fear.

I-S, Jul 12, 2003
  5. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

thats a different take on the matter
    makes sense to me, lets hope your right:)

penance, Jul 12, 2003
  6. penance

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

hate to pee on anyones chips but they been experimenting with this sort of things for a number of years,i seem to rember the first place they tried internet via the mains was some were around manchester 3+years ago
    also one method of econemy 7 switching was adding a high frequency pulse to the mains signal

themadhippy, Jul 12, 2003
Ask a Question