Noisy transport

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cookiemonster, Nov 11, 2003.

1. cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Is there anything i can do to silence it?

Its driving me nuts. I can hear it whirling and whizzing above the music, as my brain seems to think it is fun to tune in perfectly to the undesired frequencies of this nuisance.

I placed a thick book directly in front of the tray and it was better, but it looks a bit clumsy. Something a bit more classy and permanent is required.

Do all 'cheap' cdp's make an annoying whizzy noise - or is it an affliction of various models independent of price.

thankee

cookiemonster, Nov 11, 2003
  2. cookiemonster

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

What kind CDP is it? I've had many budget CDP's with many problems but never the whiney transport. My Sony 530 is sounding a bit noiser but it is 4 years old.

amazingtrade, Nov 11, 2003
  3. cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Marantz cd5400

Just to clarify. Its not like a lawn mower or anything, i'm sure its healthy, its brand new as well, just that once you know something is there, it just damned won't go away.

maybe its in my head? i only sit 8ft away too, in the 'line of fire'.

cookiemonster, Nov 11, 2003
  4. cookiemonster

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

It dosn't surprise me to be honest, I've read on the HIFI forums before that Philips cd transports can be noisty, though Marantz is no longer owned by Philips it may have a different trasnport. As longs as it works I wouldn't worry about it.

amazingtrade, Nov 11, 2003
  5. cookiemonster

HenryT

I guess that must be specific Philips transports rather than generally? The Marantz CD16, circa 1995/6 vintage, I use to own (now heading its way to Isaac's) which uses a CDM4 Pro mech was so quiet that with most discs even if I pressed my ear against the draw I couldn't hear anything. :MILD:

Is the CDP noisier with certain discs than others Cookie?

HenryT, Nov 11, 2003
  6. cookiemonster

Dev Moderator

I don't think this problem is confined just to Philips' transports. My Pioneer DVD player suffers from the same problem. It's only really distracting when there is no other noise in the room. Normally the movie sounds cover it up well :D

Dev, Nov 11, 2003
  7. cookiemonster

HenryT

Pioneer DVDs of a certain vintage also seemed to suffer from extremely noisey transports. 2 friends I know I own a 515 and 717 respectively, and I own a 919. They all ound like you've got a cinie projector in the background whilst waching your fave film - adds to the authenticity of the home cinema experience I suppose! :D

HenryT, Nov 11, 2003
  8. cookiemonster

julian2002 Muper Soderator

cookie,
    if it's brand new and making noises then take it back. my cdp has a phillips mech and is whisper quiet. don;t put up with shoddyness.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 11, 2003
  9. cookiemonster

adam

I have a Micromega Drive transport,wich uses a phillips transport and it is dead silent,I also had a bubget Marantz cd 48 which was quite also. I also have the very early Loewe DVD player and that is really noisy as has been described before,i now also have the latest loewe DVD player as well and that is much quiter,do get it checked out though, as its probably a cheap transport it may be normal.

adam, Nov 11, 2003
  10. cookiemonster

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

My old marantz CD63 using the CDM12.1 mech made some noise, which could be heard late at night. The Sony CDM14 mech in my RCD-991 is pretty much silent, although it used to set up a resonance in the casework after I got the isolation done, before the case damping was.

I look forward to the CDM4...

I-S, Nov 11, 2003
  11. cookiemonster

Dev Moderator

LOL. Suddenly it's become more tolerable, or should I say acceptable (desirable?) even:D

Dev, Nov 11, 2003
  12. cookiemonster

NOS-4-A2 Creature of the night

FWIW my Pioneer DV515 is quite loud but my Marantz CD10 and CD63 are dead quiet as is the Arcam 7SE - transport not output wise ;)

NOS-4-A2, Nov 11, 2003
  13. cookiemonster

Rory satisfied

my TEAC cdp3450 made a fair old racket when it was playing discs, but only scratched ones, which is when the error corrections comes into action

i'll check the 5400s at work at the w/end tho and see if they're all afflictef

Rory, Nov 11, 2003
  14. cookiemonster

michaelab desafinado

My ancient Marantz CD50SE made a hell of a racket until, when I did the clock mod on it, I cleaned the ball bearing on the disc clamp. Pretty silent after that.

My Teac T1 is so quite you can't hear it running even if you put your ear against it.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 11, 2003
  15. cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Interesting replies. Thanks. FWIIW Lilolee stuck his ear in the room last night, and didn't seem to be too concerned about it. It was driving me nuts though. I know it is there and i can't filter it out, unless the music is playing at a decent level. I could open it up and try damping the case with some bits of dynamat i have knocking about to start with, see if that improves it.

Its the same with all discs so it seems.

hmm, yeah, i dunno - thing is, i think the 'noises' are normal. The missus doesn't seem to hear too much either. I think it is me that is shoddy more than the cdp. I've never had a transport that distracted me like that before though. I'm not keen to take it back, 'cos its alright otherwise. Might see first if.....

...first. cheers Rory.

Talking of Philips mechs, i've actually got a philips cdp and dvd in the house, and the cdp which has a nice clamping mechnism is dead silent, even with my ear up against it. And they are only cheapish products. Strange. I'll investigate the problem further tonight.

Thanks.

cookiemonster, Nov 12, 2003
  16. cookiemonster

Cookie- have you got the cd player on your seismic sink?

If so, what is likely is that just like my system, a resonance is being set up within the player, which is able to float and thus induce a standing wave within itself. Try putting a heavyish book on top of the cd player and see if that quiets things down.

I-S, Nov 12, 2003
  17. cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Sold the sink Isaac. I'll try some other methods. Thanx

cookiemonster, Nov 12, 2003
  18. cookiemonster

BlueMax

I use an 'ancient' Marantz CD-67SE. It started making noises two years ago.

Removed the cover, removed the cables from transport and the screws to chassis. Gave it a gentle wipe, and carefully lubricated the tracks and the pulley spindles.
    They are supposed to be self lubricating but nylons dehydrate over time.

Everything became so silky smooth that I kept on opening and closing the tray just for the fun of it :)

Best lubricant to use for the pulley is Servisol Slicon Grease 70 form Maplins. Use it sparingly with the extention nozzle to make sure that lubricant does not get to the belts.

Before putting everything back, consider sticking some damping pads on the chassis and BlueTac on the transport.

BlueMax, Nov 12, 2003
  19. cookiemonster

BlueMax

I agree.
    Production fault or tolerances could be the problem here.
    Since it is new, take it back and get another from; hopefully from another batch.

BlueMax, Nov 12, 2003
  20. cookiemonster

HenryT is right... The CDM4 transport mech is extremely quiet and smooth. It's also amazingly fast. I got used to waiting 5 seconds or so for the RCD-991 to read the CD TOC. The CD16 comes up with the number of tracks and time almost as soon as the drawer is closed.

I-S, Nov 12, 2003
Ask a Question