Noooo!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nsherin, May 16, 2004.

1. nsherin

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Most regulars will know how fond I am of the NAD C521BEE CDP.

After a trip up to London today, I decided to spin few CDs I picked up, whilst enjoying a few beers. Damn CDP plays part of a disc/track and then stops. Looks like it's off to the shop to send off for repair on Monday :mad: Luckily, the store I bought it from is about 5 - 10 mins walk from my office.

Just to make sure it wasn't the new discs I bought, I tried a disc I know worked on Friday evening and it has real trouble detecting it. A real shame - less than 8 months old and I'm getting grief already. :mad:

Lucikly, I've got my Pioneer DV-350S to use. It's currently hooked up to my Yamaha reciever through a digital connection and sounds surprisingly good with CDs, so I'm not without tunes altogether. ;) It just lacks that finesse that the NAD has.

nsherin, May 16, 2004
  2. nsherin

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

You're not the first person on these HIFI forums to have problems with them Sanyo transports. I think its just a matter of luck and you've been unlucky.

I must say though that the unreliability reports is what put me off buying one which is a shame as they are great players.

amazingtrade, May 16, 2004
  3. nsherin

ditton happy old soul

excuse the intrusion on this thread, but ..

amazingtrade, I've been trying to contact you by PM. did you get my letter/cheque? please empty your PM box.

ditton, May 16, 2004
  4. nsherin

Bloody thing is still playing up - I tried Anastacia's latest single this morning and it played through fine. Then decided to turn off the amp and just leave a disc in there playing. Went downstairs to have a coffee, came back and it was doing the same as it was last night.

The older players had transport problems as well - my dad's C540's tray closes instantly after pressing the 'Open' button. If you leave a disc in it, it seems to open/close fine. Apparantly, the only fix is to strip the entire transport mechanism down, relube it and put it back together.

Like amazingtrade says - pity about the reliability problems, as the NAD players are brilliant for the money. So it's off to the shop with it at lunchtime tomorrow. Still, the Pioneer DV-350 is quite an enjoyable listen. Running it via digital co-ax connection into my Yamaha amp and it sounds good.

ditton - no probs about the intrusion - it's a handy way to get in contact with someone ;)

nsherin, May 16, 2004
  5. nsherin

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Hiya no I've not got any thing from the mail or my mail box. Its not full either as I've been getting other peoples PMs.

When did you send the cheque?

amazingtrade, May 16, 2004
  6. nsherin

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Problems like this are just to do with the laser not being able to read the data. This almost invariably arises for one of two reasons; either the laser lens is dirty, or the rail/swing arm is not moving smoothly.

With the player as young as it is, neither problem should have arisen, and it's probably best to take it back and get it fixed or exchanged.

I-S, May 16, 2004
  7. nsherin

Isaac - your diagnosis sounds perfectly sensible to me. Thanks! It's disconnected and sitting in a corner waiting for a trip to the dealer.

nsherin, May 16, 2004
  8. nsherin

An update - I took it in to the dealer today. Hopefully should be back in a couple of weeks. Can't wait! ;)

nsherin, May 17, 2004
  9. nsherin

Further update - picked the CDP up this lunchtime. Just reconnected it and it's sounding good. Lenbrook didn't say what was up with it, just that it was repaired under warranty.

nsherin, Jun 2, 2004
  10. nsherin

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Glad you got it sorted mate. Hope this one lasts a bit longer!!

PBirkett, Jun 2, 2004
  11. nsherin

Thanks - so do I. I suspect they've replaced the transport in it, as it seems to sound very similar to when I first bought it. Have left it on repeat to allow it to run in. Did you have any luck with the car, mate?

nsherin, Jun 3, 2004
  12. nsherin

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Nah the car is at the garage (hopefully) being repaired. I am hopeful that I will get it back for the weekend, but I aint holding my breath, quite frankly. Its amazing how much you miss having a car - its the first time I've been without for over 6 years.

PBirkett, Jun 3, 2004
  13. nsherin

Hope it's back soon, mate ;) Did you manage to get it fixed under warranty?

nsherin, Jun 3, 2004
  14. nsherin

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Nah its an insurance job ;)

PBirkett, Jun 4, 2004
Ask a Question