Nordost Cable Length

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tucker, Jul 15, 2005.

1. tucker

tucker

I am looking at buying SPM Reference interconnects, these are available in various lengths 0.6m, 1.0m and 1.5m etc, in my system I can use any of the mentioned lengths. But I have have been told I should use the 1.5m cables because of the impedance of the cable and a longer length is highly recommended. Is this correct any comments welcome.

tucker, Jul 15, 2005
  2. tucker

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi

I used to have some Nordpst speaker cable. If you're going to splash a lot of cash on cables, I'd PM Wadia Meister on this forum. No-one I know has heard more interconnects in more situations. His own company manufactures interconnects, which I personally would prefer in my system to Nordost. They are definately worth a home dem.

This is his website http://www.coherent-systems.co.uk/coherent/

bottleneck, Jul 15, 2005
  3. tucker

Joe

Hint: a longer length is also more expensive and will generate more revenue for the retailer. AFAIK a difference of less than 1m is unlikely to make much difference in terms of impedance.

Joe, Jul 15, 2005
  4. tucker

tucker

Thats what I was thinking

tucker, Jul 15, 2005
  5. tucker

jtc

Personally, having been down the Nordost route in the past (SPM Ref on both i/cs and speaker cable) I'd advise against it. Sure, it's great cable, but if you haven't already optimised your mains (for instance) you will gain much more for much, much less. I ended up selling my SPM at a loss (even though I bought it s/h) and I'd suggest that if you do end up down the Nordost route, longer lengths are always easier to sell on, ESPECIALLY where speaker cable is concerned.

John

jtc, Jul 15, 2005
  6. tucker

tucker

I have the mains sorted.
    What cables do you use now?

tucker, Jul 15, 2005
  7. tucker

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

Hi Tucker,

Ignore all the rubbish cable companies will attempt to convince you with over optimal i/c length. I use a 0.4m length of one of Nordosts cables and having used a 0.6m, 1m, 2m and 5m version of the same cable, there wasn't any audible difference.

Rgds
    JTB

Jackthebiscuit, Jul 15, 2005
  8. tucker

jtc

Tucker,

My system is in flux but until it's sorted out I'm sticking with some spare NAC-A5, which although chunky and not as detailed as Nordost cables, is infinitely better value and more 'tuneful' than the cheaper Nordost wires.

Personally, I regret my forays into the wickedly snake-oil world of Nordost, even though I still maintain they are good wires. Just not worth anywhere near the money. I was blind, but now I see... etc.

John

jtc, Jul 18, 2005
Ask a Question