Northern Bakeoff - POSSIBLE PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Aug 8, 2004.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I went into the sitting room this morning to discover a biblical plague of wasps. I assume they must have a nest in the roof space and there's a hole through which they can get into the room. I will try and get it sorted out during this week, but if it can't be done then I think that it would have to be called off as I don't wish to risk people being stung.

I-S, Aug 8, 2004
  2. I-S

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Isaac,

I hope you get it sorted. Can be a pain having a wasp nest. I think local councils can deal with this or you can get someone out of the yellow pages. You can also can some stuff from the supermarket/garden centres/chemist that can kill wasp nests. Never tried any so I don't know how good or bad it works.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 8, 2004
  3. I-S

Will The Lucky One

Ouch, I remember when we found a wasps nest in the kitchen, that wasn't much fun I can tell you!

The worst thing was the pest control company we used, the bloke wanted to charge nearly £200 after being there for an hour and a bit and using one bug bomb thing on it, then using a rake to drag the nest out of the roof space. My dad thought the bill was a bit steep and the guy refused to provide an itemised bill, so my dad gave him £80 and sent him on his way :p

Hope you get things sorted :)

Will, Aug 8, 2004
  4. I-S

I have now found the source of the wasps...

[​IMG]

Can't get hold of anyone today, but will try to get it sorted tomorrow. I may try taping over the hole.

I-S, Aug 8, 2004
  5. I-S

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Will,

Glad your dad stood his ground. But it seems that even £80 was alot. I have had a look on a number of sites. Councils will charge around £35 to £45 to get rid of a wasp nest. Some councils may do it for free. I have seen a few private companies offering the service for similar money as well. Getting rid of a wasp nest is usually not that hard. A lot depends where the nest is. In some cases, all they do is put a bag over the nest, knocking it into the bag then sealing.

The major downside of doing it yourself is the big risk of getting stung.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 8, 2004
  6. I-S

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Just the other day on the news I heard about a guy trying to reMOve a nest on his own. He got stung and was dead with in half an hour! Not worth risking doing it yourself me thinks!

MO!, Aug 8, 2004
  7. I-S

muffinman

i stood on a wasp nest as a child . 52 stings. i have made it my raison d'etre to kill them since.

wasps are wankers

muffinman, Aug 8, 2004
  8. I-S

Will The Lucky One

Aye thinking about it was still expensive, but then again this is my dad, the bloke who'd rather just renew car insurance than shop around for a quote thats almost £300 cheaper :rolleyes: he is quite shrewd with money 99% of the time but then other times he thinks 'ah well its easier...').

(Car insurance is a sore point in this house, when I passed my test I wanted to go on my mums policy so I can drive my mums seicento, cue my dad getting a £900 insurance renewal, and telling me its not worth it, its too expensive and I would just have to not drive! I then found a quote for £600 for both of us, fully comp, limited mileage etc, the same as the other quote, but my dad just renewed with the other company for a cost of nearly £900, then insisted I paid half - I had agreed to pay half of the quote, but bugger me if I was going to pay £150 extra cos my dad can't be arsed the change companies because he doesn't know how good the other company is, despite it being a pretty big name for car insurance! In the end I paid £300 and that was that :D)

Will, Aug 8, 2004
  9. I-S

For now I have covered the hole with blutak (remotely... using a 6ft pole).

I-S, Aug 8, 2004
  10. I-S

Mart Smog Dodger

Isaac, if you want to stop them getting into the room, a tin of that expanding foam stuff works a treat as it flows through every gap in the wall.

I did one for a mate last week to keep the damn things out of the upstairs in his house.

My mate then rang the council and the bill was gonna be somewhere in the region of £180 so he rang a local guy out of the yellow pages, the guy charged him 58 quid and took the nest away too. Shop about, you might drop lucky.

Mart, Aug 8, 2004
  11. I-S

I will talk to the landlady tomorrow, as she should pay for it I think.

I-S, Aug 8, 2004
  12. I-S

Sid and Coke

My Old man did the quickest wasp nest destruction I ever saw when i was a kid. There was a small hole in the garden and the wasps where coming in & out of it. My dad squirted some petrol down the hole , let it soak in for a few seconds and then tossed his lit Zippo lighter at the vapours coming out, whoosh! there it was vapourised and gone ! A bright yellow flame about 4 feet long and full of pissed off wasps with burnt wings shot out. Highly irresponsible but bloody good fun.

Sid and Coke, Aug 8, 2004
  13. I-S

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'd say highly responsible! The killing of wasps (or any other creature with MOre than 4 legs should be commended! It's us or them!

MO!, Aug 8, 2004
  14. I-S

Doctor Jeep

I was out on my motorbike today and got a rather large bite/sting on my neck. Stopped for a cigarette and sat down where there seemed to be a few wasps - reckon it was one of those blighters!

Doctor Jeep, Aug 8, 2004
  15. I-S

julian2002 Muper Soderator

wasp nest? reminds me of the hfc forum :ffrc:
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 9, 2004
  16. I-S

PeteH Natural Blue

I think you need to spend more time over there, maybe work through some of your issues. You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with the place lately :eek:

PeteH, Aug 9, 2004
  17. I-S

julian2002 Muper Soderator

pete,
    feitctaj.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 9, 2004
  18. I-S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I don't think Julain has ever had any issues over there other than owning naim, Pete, your view is "I think that the ZG version reads a little like a bland audiophile group self-affirmation meeting, this one's been much more fun."
    Perhaps we need some self help?, a theropthy group headed by your goodself?

wadia-miester, Aug 9, 2004
  19. I-S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Perhaps some hydrocarbons and and ignition source may help in that instant as well Ju ?

wadia-miester, Aug 9, 2004
  20. I-S

PeteH Natural Blue

That's entirely true. The HFC forum version of that particular thread is currently well over 250 posts and chock-full of vitriol and spite - the ZG version barely broke 50 posts and is almost entirely good-natured.

PeteH, Aug 9, 2004
Ask a Question