NOS-DAC Query Please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by markabuckley, Apr 18, 2006.

1. markabuckley

markabuckley

markabuckley, Apr 18, 2006
  2. markabuckley

Mr_Sukebe

The ad in question doesn't look like it's by Derek and the price is higher than DS was previously selling the units for.

The units only have a single coaxial input on the back.

As for their value, well I have one and think it's pretty damn good. Not convinced it's as good as a £1000 Quad 99, but it's fairly close when partnered with a decent transport. Without the transport, probably on par with a £500+ CDP easily.

Note that I've heard some very good things about the Monica2 DAC, which I know tested out rather well by someone I know who has the version of the DS NOS that you have linked to.

Mr_Sukebe, Apr 18, 2006
  3. markabuckley

RobsterD

Hi
    I have the Monica2 and the original DS unit which has been rehoused,both are very good with the Monica2 just ousting the DS.
    Tho have now upgraded to an Apogee Mini DAC which is another step up.
    Tried SLA,reg PSU and SMPS power supplies all give different results with the DACs,prefer the SLA and SMPS to the regulated PSU.
    Both will probably be available soon if interested (both have only coax inputs)
    Regards
    Rob

RobsterD, Apr 18, 2006
  4. markabuckley

markabuckley

Thanks guys - gives me food for though :)

Mark.

markabuckley, Apr 20, 2006
  5. markabuckley

markabuckley

markabuckley, Apr 20, 2006
  6. markabuckley

Paul V

Mark

I've got a Derek Shek NOS DAC in the opaque perspex case.

I'm more than happy to lend it to you to see how you get on with it. I think I've used mine twice for about a day on each occasion. It sounds natural but hasn't got enough punch for me, and I go back to my DAC64.

If you like it I'm sure we can agree a fair price.

Feel free to mail me.

Paul

Paul V, Apr 21, 2006
  7. markabuckley

scrosland --

Yes, that's a genuine one. I bought a similar one off Derek a few months back (ebay item # 5855356409). Yes, import tax will be paid depending on the value that Derek declares on the paperwork (I cannot remember what it was for mine). Mine was £138 so he has reduced the price a little.

Cheers,
    Simon

scrosland, Apr 21, 2006
  8. markabuckley

bec143

Rob,

I'm considering a Monica 2, but heardthat the output voltage is very low (.1-.3 mV) and that it needs a gain stage. What was your experience? Is your Monica still for sale?

Bruce

bec143, Apr 21, 2006
  9. markabuckley

RobsterD

Bruce,
    The o/p voltage is very low and I ran mine into a Bottlehead Foreplay3 pre with great results.
    Re sale,just waiting on Mark,I might of scared him off re price:)
    Both my NOSDACs have been silver wired to Audio Note silver phonos and have sorbothane damping to the enclosures.Got a choice of an original DS regulated PSU or a Russ Andrews powerpak2.
    The enclosures are wood/metal and I can leave it natural for staining or supply black.
    Rob

RobsterD, Apr 21, 2006
  10. markabuckley

markabuckley

KASUMI - I think I'll have to pass at the moment as I'm tempted with one of the new design NOSDACs - thanks for the offers though.

Paul, will PM you - but I think I'll go for a new NOSDAC - but will have a chat via PM.

All the best, Mark.

markabuckley, Apr 21, 2006
  11. markabuckley

bec143

I have seen those Apogee's, they look a lot like a Benchmark!

Mark- what is a new design NOSDAC?

bec143, Apr 22, 2006
  12. markabuckley

bec143

So Rob,

What do you want for your Monica?

Bruce

bec143, Apr 24, 2006
  13. markabuckley

Mr_Sukebe

Just a few more thoughts on the NOS DAC. As mentioned, I have a v2 Shrek version (black one), with a dedicated PSU built by Zanash (which really does make a difference).

I'm presently looking at an upgrade to my front end, bringing the NOS under a lot of scrutiny. As such, it's been through the following direct comparisons:
    - AH DAC, Zanash's. Similar, though I think the NOS has the edge on subtlety and naturalness. I also felt that the AH had a slight metallic sheen to the sound which I found off putting
    - Quad 99 CDP. Zanash has done comparisons without the dedicated PSU and puts the 99 a good deal ahead. I've heard the NOS against the 99 with the NOS driven by my Meridian 500 transport. IMO the Quad has the edge, though the DAC isn't far behind. The Quad certainly has better nuances.
    - Meridian G07. Had a comparison this weekend. The G07 had better mid-range, vocals were great. However, slushy, sludgy bass with no drive. Maybe if you listened to only violin work it would do it for you. Personally I thought the NOS was a good deal better overall.
    - Naim CDX2. I'm an ex Naim owner, and expected to be impressed. Awesome how opinions change. Just sounded un-natural and I couldn't get on with it at all. Bearing in mind the cost, not a good result for the Naim
    - Consonance Droplet. This is the killer one so far. Does everything that the NOS does well, i.e. natural presentation, then adds in masses of low level extra detail and subtlety. Simply gorgeous.

I have another DAC lined up for this coming weekend. I'll keep you posted.

Mr_Sukebe, Apr 24, 2006
  14. markabuckley

zanash

I'm just fitting some hot [ad 854] opamps in the AH....I'm hopping this is going to take it a few steps further. Big gains followed the removal of the sil bridges and fitting of descrete diodes.

The AH sounded damn fine with E5 of jimbo's as a transport, actually better than the on board dac and output !

zanash, Apr 24, 2006
Ask a Question