Not impressed with Glasgow fans at all

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, May 15, 2008.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I got cought up in some of this not being able to get home. Basicaly there has been a lot of voilence in Manchester today. First off I went past a rough pub in my local area and saw loads of police outside and an incident involving a well known kitchen rogue.

Later I had to go to town to get some supplies and meet a friend, however I was swamped with what seemed like millions of people. A lot of them were all signing very anti Manchester and Manchester united lyrics trying to enrage locals but as far as I can tell everybody ignoed them.

By 2pm some 'blue' people got on my bus and started stamping on the upper deck's floor causing the driver to stop and threaten the police.

I got up back at 6pm disgraced by some of the things I have seen by grown men.

Now I have just read this and I am disgusted.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1049714_violence_marrs_uefa_showpiece

Why does Manchester city council never learn? Football and alchohl does not mix.

I realise the people out of the 200,000 Glasgow fans in the city the majority of them were probably well behaved but from what I saw with my own eyes I was left very dissapointed and disgusted.

Now I wonder who is going to clear up the 2 million cans of larger dumped on the streets, who is going to pay for the massive police and ambulance bills? It seems that all the bars and shops have benefited from this hugely but Manchester itself has suffered.

There is a sour taste with me, my family and my mates now as we all have to live and work in Manchester and although Greater Manchester is huge at 2.5 million Manchester itself only has a population of 400,000 so an extra 200,000 is just too much - something has gone wrong some where.

amazingtrade, May 15, 2008
  2. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

Ban football?:)

Tenson, May 15, 2008
  3. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Don't worry Manchester will get its own back on Moscow next week.

Bob McC, May 15, 2008
  4. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, nowt much can be done I guess...if your city wants to host big games then it has to suffer the crap that goes with it... it would be the same with any place really...

mr cat, May 15, 2008
  5. amazingtrade

auric FOSS

Big football matches create big money for some.Why not let those who make the money pay the full economic cost of staging the match?

auric, May 15, 2008
  6. amazingtrade

There where two things where Manchester went wrong

1) Manchester city council should not have encouraged the booze
    2) The screens should have been in the large parks which have capacity of well over 100,000 people.

To host it in a huge financial center on a working day is madness.

That said nothing excuses the behavior of some of the fans, the chants were quite simply disgusting, 8 year old kids with beer cans in their hands and the way some of them were blatantly looking for a fight.

7. amazingtrade

Indeed, apparently most the shops had to close early yesterday and a lot of offices let their workers go home early so they could get back.

So many people have lost money over this and bars and pubs should pay towards that, although they will argue they do via their high rates.

8. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

But the profit is estimated to be about 30 million for the city. That's why they do it. From what I heard nearly all the Glasgow fans were behaved amiably and pleasantly. When you get 100,000 people in one place there's always going to be some dickheads, especially when alcohol is involved.
    Mind I go to lots of football matches, and the worst trouble I've ever seen is when I've seen bands at the football stadiums, the Red Hot Chilli's and Oasis.
    Football always seems to get the blame for everything. It's not footballs fault, it's a few mindless idiots.

lordsummit, May 15, 2008
  9. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Firstly, how about changing the thread title to Rangers fans, not Glasgow!

Celtic took a reposrted 100'000 or so to Seville for the UEFA cup final with pretty much ZERO trouble.

As LS says, an estimated 200'000 turned up in Manchester generating up to £30 Million for the city!

By all accounts organisation from Manchester council was crap. 25'000 people watching on big screens that failed, and then little, or indeed no instruction given!

Hooligan behaviour is't excusable (and to be fair supporting Rangers should be banned outright anyhow ;) ), but it seems Manchester was happy to take the money but didn't prepare for it sufficiently!

MO!, May 15, 2008
  10. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

ASST Chief Constable of Manchester is on the news saying out of all them people, only 40something arrests.

MO!, May 15, 2008
  11. amazingtrade

auric FOSS

40somethings often cause a lot of trouble.

auric, May 15, 2008
  12. amazingtrade

Samantha

Apparently the screen failed 15 minutes before kick off - repair team arrived to fix it and they had bottles, cans and more thrown at them so they had to withdraw...... not bright.

Also instructions were given to direct to the next screen - many either were not interested as they had their excuse for kicking off, or were too drunk/dim to understand the instructions.

No excuse for smashing things up, fighting, intimidation, leaving such a mess. Banning footy not an answer, those that want to behave like that would just find something else to hang on to - it isn't the sport that is at fault, it is those that think this sort of behaviour is fun and acceptable.

Samantha, May 15, 2008
  13. amazingtrade

Indeed 11,000 fans did go to the emergency screens, it was the 10,000 other fans.

I would say I saw at least 10,000 yesterday causing trouble of some sort. If any of them behaved like that on any other day they would be arrested straight away.

It was the disgusting chants I was sicked by

"I **** your ***** mother ****** manchester united are ****** ***** you ****** ******"

Auric I have been to the a lot of punk gigs inc the Sex Pistols one in London, that was a complete shambles and it was mainly the 35-45 year olds miss behaving.

I do drink a lot but I just don't why alcohol makes some people turn into rioting lunatics.

The council did what they could to organise things with such short notice but they aways get it wrong. Its either all or nothing with the stupid council.

As my mate who was in town who is from Rossendale said to me "is it any wonder Glasgow is one of the poorest cities in the UK if that is how they behave". Sadly as its my only experience with people from Glasgow it is an impression which is not a good one.

14. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Not true.

My TV played up during a big game once. I shouted at it and threw things.... it worked :)

The footage being shown of "fans" knocking the policeman to the floor and piling on him isn't pleasent viewing.

But then most things involving rangers doesn't genereally make pleasent viewing.

MO!, May 15, 2008
  15. amazingtrade

This is a scene that I never thought I would say outside of Northern Ireland circa 1998.

[​IMG]

16. amazingtrade

la toilette Downright stupid

I think your mate must be very, very dim.

la toilette, May 15, 2008
  17. amazingtrade

AT - you wanna get a grip mate...this is what happens at footy matches...not good granted - but what did you expect..? the rangers fans to be handing out thistles to the locals?

what was the council to do..? - close all pubs and off licences? - you'd then be moaning that you couldn't get a drink...

the creen conked out - is that the fans fault? - the council should have sorted that - and you expect the p*ssed up rangers fans to quietly sit there and watch nothing on what was probably their most important game ever?

mr cat, May 15, 2008
  18. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

I'm sure you are right, but why does football seem to attract these kind of people more than any other sport?

Tenson, May 15, 2008
  19. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

Yes, they should. Either wait peacefully for it to be repaired or move on to another venue with a screen. It shouldn't be too much to expect, but it seems it is! Very sad, and the main reason I have no interest in the game of football.

Tenson, May 15, 2008
  20. amazingtrade

yes, well...back in the real world... :D

mr cat, May 15, 2008
Ask a Question