Not my Townshend for sale - but had to share!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SMEagol, May 24, 2007.

1. SMEagol

Tootlepip

Well thanks for all that :) . Yes of course buying second hand should always be the cheaper option but seeing as
    the Linn costs a fairly modest sum to make and yet commands such high prices new, the second hand prices will also go up. The Sonata was always the more expensive to make because of the materials used( including the heaviest subchassis) plus the fact it had two motors to the Linns one but it was never really given a decent break by the media. I dont think even the Gyrodec was. From memory the Linn was always first , then Roxsan and then PT. If the media had been more even handed then we might have seen a very different scenario. Another thing I noticed was that Linn would only allow their products to be sold with only certain other rival products for eg Rega ,Naim ,Manticore Systemdec maybe Cyrus nad a few others.Not what i would call true competition.A cynic inside me tells me Ivor had the media round his little finger - advertising revenue perhaps

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2007
    Tootlepip, Jun 3, 2007
  2. SMEagol

SCIDB Moderator

SCIDB, Jun 23, 2007
  3. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

hmmmm.... I bought one too! :) with some tasty mods. including a new dynavector D17 mk2 cartridge (Alone worth £600) and a merlin power supply, really nice tonearm and the lid with teak surround for a measly £800. How does it sound... well lets just say the CD players been ignored for quite a long time! The one on ebay wasn't in my budget but I think I've actually done better. Its a minty mark 2, with a metal trough.The guy even serviced it before I bought it.

The Dynavectors a bit of an imp for fluff though as the stylus is quite short you have to be fastidious with your records. Charity shop stuffs not worth the effort generally!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
    SMEagol, Jun 24, 2007
  4. SMEagol

Tootlepip

Excellent ,good on you. I finally got my Sonata repaired very cheaply nad stuck a new cartridge so i am pleased too

Tootlepip, Jul 19, 2007
  5. SMEagol

complin

So which are the best models of Rock to have?

complin, May 24, 2008
  6. SMEagol

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Complin,

As for which is the best, I would be tempted to say that either the new Rock V or the Rock Reference MkII would be up there. These are not cheap and the Rock Reference is not easy to get hold of. (Not many were made.)

As for the others the Elite Rock II is the most common and can put in a good performance. The Rock Reference Mk I is one to look at but are not common. They do crop up every now and then.

The later versions of the Rock are also less common and cost more new. Not seen many of these up for grabs.

I would look at the Rock Reference as one of the better performers. The Elite Rock II is the one you have most chance of getting hold of.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 25, 2008
  7. SMEagol

Mark P

The Rock III is better than the II but, as above, you hardly ever see them for sale.

Mark P, May 25, 2008
  8. SMEagol

Pure_Carbon Diamond Tipped.

I sold my Rock III last year , but it was damaged in a house move, and was sold as such.
    I sold it bundled with the Excalibur and Merlin.
    I miss it, it was a great TT.
    However, I replaced it via ebay with my current Avid Acutus , got a bargain, made sure it worked before paying cash, and sent it straight to Avid for a full service, saving many £000's on the new price.
    I know Max well, bought his original Moving coil cart and his IE 600 Pre/monoblock combo and a prototype 4 shelf seismic sink stand off him.
    Trying to persuade him that maybe Mrs T would appreciate him swapping a nice diamond for a Rock V ( I'm a Jeweller) :)

Pure_Carbon, May 27, 2008
  9. SMEagol

Mark P

Why not, most of the world's business is conducted by bartering...

:)

Mark P, May 27, 2008
  10. SMEagol

DigDatRidim

Yeah, you give me a wad of that money stuff & I'll give you my record playing devise.

DigDatRidim, Nov 2, 2008
  11. SMEagol

chrissyman

SCIDB did you have a Voyd .5 ref ' you see i had one a few years back but alas was forced to sell to raise funds, how would you rate it against the Rock reference, i had a linn before and kicked that down the street oh there's me linn bashing again.

chrissyman, Nov 3, 2008
  12. SMEagol

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Chrissyman

I still have it some where. I still have the Rock reference as well. both are excellent. When I last compared their was a slighty diferent balance between but it was hard to pick a winner overall.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 3, 2008
  13. SMEagol

chrissyman

Hi i like that 'i still have it somewhere' i do miss mine '
    i remember when i chnged from the lp12/ ekos/ lingo/troika :SLEEP:
    how different (better) the voyd sounded .

I must say if i ever had the money i would have set up like yours,
    i had a dem at Kevin Scot's place NAS with border patrol and OBX and an art audio pre i think' superb until something went tits up with BP
    but it sounded marvelous.

I heard the avid once very nice indeed and it looks gorgeous PSU by guy adams i think.

chrissyman, Nov 4, 2008
  14. SMEagol

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Chrissyman,

Why did you change to an LP12 from a Voyd?

I have had good useage out the Border Patrol. I did have an earlier version which did go wrong but the current ones have been very reliable.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 5, 2008
  15. SMEagol

chrissyman

HI SCIDB

oh sorry i didn't explain that right i went from a linn to a voyd.

chrissyman, Nov 5, 2008
  16. SMEagol

chrissyman

Did you say you still have the rock reference and is that just kicking around the house somewhere, i remember seeing and hearing it for the 1st time with Max cranking up the volume :eek: OMG it was jaw dropping.

chrissyman, Nov 5, 2008
Ask a Question