Nottingham Calling ...........

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, Aug 18, 2006.

1. zanash

zanash

My views on the cd treatments .......

cd flux .....yes there were changes but with repeated a/b ing were not as obvious as I would have hoped. What I tended to hear [and this maybe because I've got used to the effect] was a wider image and often much greater depth perseption. Often it as if the volumes been turned up.

Auric illuminator...very disappointed could hear no difference what so ever with the control cdr.

I've no idea if any of the treatments are supposed to work on cdr's.

The Marantz changes would have been several orders of magnitude better than either cd treatment.

I was interested in the Arcam aaa5 I think it piped the cd 67 [only damped case, no electronic mods] but was not as good as the Quad. The Mission had something but on reflection its caps probabley needed changing as it had almost no top end. The Kenwood was not working [but now is] and that would have come above the unmodded cd5001. So as you would expect the cd for me would have been in decending order
    quad
    arcam
    cd67
    kenwood
    dad
    cd5001 [after the mods it would have been placed between cd67 and arcam]

zanash, Oct 2, 2006
  2. zanash

magpietim

Yes thanks Pete for a very interesting afternoon....my treated CD is still unplayed but over the next few nights i'll be able to try it and finally see for myself....big up to all the guys there for the interesting discussions.

Tim.

magpietim, Oct 2, 2006
  3. zanash

DavidF

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2006
    DavidF, Oct 2, 2006
  4. zanash

zanash

don't you'll make me blush !

You wait till it gets some decent caps in there too!

zanash, Oct 2, 2006
  5. zanash

DavidF

sorry.....(!)

DavidF, Oct 2, 2006
  6. zanash

DavidF

I thought Pete had performed miracles with my cd player breifly documented above.

He has just left my place having finished work on the Marantz, whilst I (at his encouragement/suggestion) did a quick room move around. This involved moving the speakers such that they are now further apart and in their own space.

The overall results? Jaw dropping is the term I would use.

The speakers now seem to have found their voice - so I am now listening to music as opposed to hifi.

I should be used to Petes abilities now.....I never seem to be....he always seems to pull something else out of the hat next time!

Thanks a million!

David

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2006
    DavidF, Oct 25, 2006
  7. zanash

nando nando

pete, if you are ever in london i will be glad to meet you, and perhaps go for a pint and chat , ..nando

nando, Oct 25, 2006
  8. zanash

zanash

Cheers......

Thanks DaveF ...had a good time myself

and as I said at the start " I hope to change the sound from ok to jaw dropping" I think we got fairly close. In fact I could happily live with your system ....you know how much I love naim amps !

equipment feet.......

one of the strange things that we did was to listen to various feet made from plastic [more of later on the diy section]. We built four types. It was evident that when the cdp was sat on these the sound changed, for me it became more open. Then we sat the naim pre and power combo on a set ....what to say ? well the sound jumped into focus ....everthing was already there but fuzzy .The naims even gave some illusion of depth to the sound rather than the normal sound wall common with this brand.

We used the chesky test disc and found that this naim amp was able to give the illusion of height on the lerdl track. Note there are people who still say stereo does not do height Naim doubly so ....all I say is get this disc and have a listen, and repent at leisure!

The final set of foam feet were used to decouple the speaker stands from the floor a la "mopad" . This definately reduced room interactions and tightened up the bass. A smaller set was then fitted between speaker and stand ....initially I thought the bass had vanished but the mid and treble sounded very open and sweet. Playing a track [9 of chesky audiophile disc] it was clear the bass was present in spades but only there when it was supposed to be.

As DaveF says the system has now found its voice ...a great result !

zanash, Oct 26, 2006
Ask a Question