Nuforce amps

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nbaptista, Jul 10, 2006.

1. nbaptista

ShinOBIWAN

His speakers, his amps...

Pick one.

ShinOBIWAN, Jul 11, 2006
  2. nbaptista

RobHolt Moderator

I take it you've heard them in order to form that opinion?

RobHolt, Jul 11, 2006
  3. nbaptista

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Peter is incorigible.... I like it.

In the process of working up the design for my current commercial Amplifier (BTW, playing here now with some other interresting stuff, if you like Rob, drop by on Sat, Simon, Nick and Dev, you are welcome too if you like, then we could also settle if a DL-103R does distort high frequencies in the inner groves or not....) we tested the readily available switching solutions (and quite a few others).

I would not quite go as far as Peter, there is some merit to these things, but not enough for us to use them. Others like them and a friend of mine has done very extensive work with both Tripath and UDC based stuff (the final product is sold rather expensively by a british High End Company) and what I find I dislike with these switched mode amplifiers in general is the same kind of sound that on occasion troubles me with delta sigma DAC's. I cannot explain it too well, but there is a certain lack of smoothness, of realism, for want of a better word.

Of course, in a system where the signal has been heavily manipulated in the digital domain, then converted to analogue viw delta sigma converters the issues may never raise their heads, on the contrary, the high ultrasonic noise output from the Delta Sigma DAC could quite conceivably upset the average "gainclone" and cause IM products to fold back into the audio band....

All depends on usage and implementation and system context.

At any extent, four years ago SE Amp's where "in", two years ago Gainclones where "it", right now everyone hypes "Class D", we'll see how long this fad lasts.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 11, 2006
  4. nbaptista

ShinOBIWAN

Of course not, that would mean the past dozen post would actually have a point.

Simon mentioned it in passing and now I'm poking fun at T(HD) with that information with the main point being his lofty attitude towards distortion and the irony in how that relates to his own system. Simon's owned some well respected kit so I expect he knows what he's listening to.

ShinOBIWAN, Jul 11, 2006
  5. nbaptista

Tenson Moderator

To be honest most good amps sound the same to me lol! I have heard perfectly good digital amps and perfectly good solid state. …not very many good tubes :p Some of the solid state where probably chip amps. It is ALL in the implementation and system context.

Class D amps do have some very nice points so it depends what you need from the amp.

I don't think Class D is a passing fad one little bit. It is here to stay and will continue to grow. It has HUGE possibilities in TV, mobiles, radios computers etc...

Changing the subject a bit -

Not that I want to beat up on Thorsten but do you remember that when I last came round to your place T, we listened to some records and I said I liked your new CD player more because the treble sounded distorted on the records. I think this is very interesting because I had no idea that you and Rob had been talking about the D-103 or that this was a common point with it, it’s just what I heard. So I know what my view on this is already ;) On the other hand you thought it sounded more real than the treble from the CD player so you should certainly continue to use it!

That brings us to the main point. I think the thing is, Thorsten doesn’t really make many claims that HIS system is accurate or low distortion or anything, just that he likes it. He claims that some of the design methods he uses have the ability to be lower distortion than other more common ones. Di-pole for example.

Tenson, Jul 12, 2006
  6. nbaptista

ShinOBIWAN

Hi T(HD)

Again, get that THD pumped up'd it'll sound smoooth.

Or not.

I2S on multibit parallel's anyhow.

I haven't seen anyone hyping Class D in this thread, I've seen some bashing and I tried to offer a more balanced view but I guess mentioning Class D around these parts is like farting at the ambassadors receiption. There's seems to be a hive mind attitude around some forums, did everyone get assimilated or something? I didn't think the Borg were in town.

People whine about class D being hyped? Well I see a polar opposite camp has been formed and its equally out of proportion. Is audio discussion mimicking fairytale? Cos it certainly looks like that with all the larger than life content. Thank god I've got my own mind and more importantly, ears.

I once knew a man that talked about learning to swim, he read books, watched videos and chatted with others about it. In the end he knew so much about swimming that he didn't feel the need to get wet.

ShinOBIWAN, Jul 12, 2006
  7. nbaptista

Hi,

If I remember correctly, it sounded distorted on SOME records... :D Many of my LP's are old and have been played much. I can dig out some pristine ones, but I like music less.

If you like drop in any time you like....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 12, 2006
  8. nbaptista

Tenson Moderator

I dunno about that, all I remember is that I had the overall impression I liked the CD more mainly because of the treble. I think it was a lot better on some records but it was still not quite as clean and ‘real’ to me as the CD. Might just be what I’m used to. But that’s good from your point of view really! ;)

Indeed I would love to drop by more often, but sadly it is a real pain in the bottom to get to your place from here.

Tenson, Jul 12, 2006
  9. nbaptista

Hi,

You know we have a spare room, though this WE it's already taken, but we also have a sofa. So you can always stay over if you like.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 12, 2006
  10. nbaptista

ShinOBIWAN

Couldn't agree more Simon, its nowhere near like the cables argument but I find the differences between good amps less than one would expect after reading a few reviews or opinions. I'm sure T(HD) would be disgusted in the Chord SPM1200E I had but that to me was a great sounding amp, probably the best I've owned. I've also had plenty of others and have come to the conclusion that there's certainly more similarities than differences. I've heard plenty of tubes too and most made me think 'Myeh', I also heard a pretty amazing tube setup on the end of some JBL horns at the Manchester Radisson Hotel hifi show, one of the best at the show, can't remember what model or brand though.

Yep it'll continue to develop, the technology is only a couple of decades old and has only really become mainstream in the last few. Now that there's investment and interest, you'll see better stuff arriving annually.

Its still far from perfect, actually that goes for any amplifier, but they do show great promise and do offer some appealing features outside the sound such as reliability, low dissapation and energy usage.

I agree, probably because he dare not do so.

What makes me chuckle is the fact he lambast various stuff for not living up to his accuracy ideals, which encompasses THD and yet there's opinion saying that T(HD)'s system is counter to his opinion, afterall if the distortion is audible then god only knows what it measures like. I wouldn't be laughing quite so hard if this wasn't comming from a man who speaks as though certainty isn't a luxury but a given.

The validity of his opinions on accuracy regarding loudspeakers have and could be debated until we all grow old. He's found a niche and he's selling it, that's your motivation.

ShinOBIWAN, Jul 12, 2006
Ask a Question