Nuforce

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jackthebiscuit, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Jackthebiscuit

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

Anyone had any experience with the Nuforce reference amps over here? Apparently they appear to be creating quite a stir in the US.

JTB

Jackthebiscuit, Nov 12, 2005
  2. Jackthebiscuit

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Not very musical I'm afraid nice and cheap, light, quite pokey, not as good in the bass as your lead to believe.
    I had the 9's for oh 2 weeks before selling, good results from partnering with a valve pre.
    They do not live up to the internet and mag hype imo
    Angelsoud sell them her, though as they are smps (joy!!) they are multi voltage and can be had for $1200 for a pair in the US

wadia-miester, Nov 12, 2005
  3. Jackthebiscuit

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

Thanks Tony, what d'you recommend around the grand mark. Looking for something tp partner an AS Passion pre.

Jackthebiscuit, Nov 12, 2005
  4. Jackthebiscuit

They are not bad, don't get me wrong, for the cash they are good, they just don't hit hype level.
    Currently lots of bargins about, just check A/g you get a lot for a grand sir !!!! :)

5. Jackthebiscuit

boy_lah

Jack,
    Nuforce are nice amps but stay clear if you're thinking about running with passives. They need a good tube pre to give it some warmth/emotion. Check my other ZG thread.

I've tried the 8's and 9's for about 2 months. Depending what you like you could try the Channel Island amps (Angelsounds.co.uk too). Similar to NuForce but more musical but I suspect might still be a bit clean with a passive. But then I've only ever consider a passive *acceptable* with valve amps. SS and digitals are no-no's for me.

boy_lah, Nov 12, 2005
  6. Jackthebiscuit

boy_lah

For around £1K and if you like valves...try Ikon Audio (UK design but chinese made) or one of the chinese makes - I think there's a lot of value there. Cayin, Shanling etc...

boy_lah, Nov 12, 2005
  7. Jackthebiscuit

Clinto YOU'VE actually run the nu-forces at home? or was that a friends?, I thought you were a TE Linear man at heart (with the built in passive pre.)
    Hence your reluctance with them maybe?
    They are some stonkingly good passives pre's if you listen. The AS is one of them.
    I'd try a Belles 150 ref, superb amp easily dispatches the nu forces, but has a rightness & texture to the sound.
    Mind you I've yet to hear a valve amp sound complete across the entire audio spectrum and produce the goods with out coloured horns or high efficency trade off loudspeakers , one trick ponies are valves imo, some very good I'll grant you, but just can't span the devide.
    Now Clinton, can tell us why you think the Tom Evans Linear (inbuilt passive pre) doesn't do it for you.
    In a correctly set up system they make some beautiful sounds, so could speculate as to why you feel its not gelling at Chez Clinton?

8. Jackthebiscuit

Stereo Mic

Tony, you haven't heard the right tube amps, that's all. I've yet to hear a Class D amp that sounds complete.

Stereo Mic, Nov 12, 2005
  9. Jackthebiscuit

I'll bow to your superior knowledge sir :)

10. Jackthebiscuit

Stereo Mic

Who'd have thought it Tone? SMPS!!!

Stereo Mic, Nov 12, 2005
  11. Jackthebiscuit

yep JR clones too very said

12. Jackthebiscuit

boy_lah

:eek:
    Tony, your little tweety bird is not wrong but like all hear say inaccurate. I've had in my home the Nuforce, CIA, Linear A, Art Audio, Pass Lab, Krell + others. Pre-amp wise, I've had the N.E.W, Modwright, tranny passives (aka MusicFirst type) and of course the DaCT pot. Back home (oz) I'm also familiar with various passives (some DIY using vishay resistors), and some big names like Halcros, CAT, etc.. :MILD:

So...just my experience based on kits I've tried. But you're right, no long term AS experience. :SLEEP:

On the other hand, I can highly recommend a tranny passive. Or a much cheaper option, building a pot into the (valve) amp - the downside is more than acceptable.

I was looking for a SET 300B sound with more oommpph... (don't start this one tricky pony thing ... all been said before...tiring ...) and I expected the Linear A would be the ticket. But it wasn't. Firstly, it sounds NOTHING like a SET/300B. Secondly, even if I accept it's not a SET/300B, the sound (with the pot) does not emotionally touch me...it can come across lean and mechanical.

Several changes since has significantly improved it but still work in progress. ;)

boy_lah, Nov 12, 2005
  13. Jackthebiscuit

Yes you are quite right Clint 300b's all very one trick pony I agree with you.
    Prehaps a commission to construct a real 300 b monster with uppmmhh may not be bad way to go, though I suspect they'll be a few large transformers kicking about.
    Cat & Halcrow, exptionally over rated, have owned both.all very one trick hifi I'm sure you'll agree.
    Any way keep us posted on the linear Its all interesting for a few who many be considering one for sure

14. Jackthebiscuit

boy_lah

Did you hear the Linear A at our Cobham friend's home?

And that just nails in on the head - you thought it was nice...! That means a 300B/SET guy would not!!! lol... 8 )

boy_lah, Nov 12, 2005
  15. Jackthebiscuit

boy_lah

Like the CAT esp the pre. Never liked the Halcro but I'm guessing, again that's more your tea? even though it's overrated?

boy_lah, Nov 12, 2005
  16. Jackthebiscuit

Stereo Mic

Boy La

If this is as good as my PP version, and reports suggest it is, it will be a 300b SET that will kick serious butt.

The PP version I use has more grunt and control than a 250wpc switching amp I tried. The TEAD amps are known for being effeminate downstairs.

Stereo Mic, Nov 12, 2005
  17. Jackthebiscuit

Clinton,
    I have 2 other clients with the straight power amps, one with the serious impulse horns & TT
    The other with Allons & a Wheiss media set up.
    Neither of the pre-amps mentioned could ever be described as 'my cup of tea' :lol:

wadia-miester, Nov 13, 2005
Ask a Question