OB1 vs. SCM35

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andyoz, May 2, 2006.

1. andyoz

The Devil IHTFP

Life's easier that way. Avoids arguments, and all that. :)

The Devil, May 19, 2006
  2. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

Stop trolling bub. A small minority (almost all atc owners) think pmc are no good - but its all jealousy.

Andy - ignore the naysayers they speakers you have bought will thrash any atc - as i am sure you know as an ex-atc owner now ;)

anon_bb, May 19, 2006
  3. andyoz

andyoz

Oh Boy, I was wondering when this was going to happen.

The thread isn't really about whether PMC's are BETTER than ATC's. It's was actually for me to gather info as to whether the PMC sound would SUIT ME BETTER as I can't demo them.

I have them, they are busted but I can still play them and I can still tell they suit me better.

If you guys want to keep bashing away at it that's fine, but I note that I was actually getting some useful advice on the subject until someone showed up.

My advice is to avoid obsessive brand loyalty as "...lifes easier that way".

You may as well stop thread now moderator.

andyoz, May 19, 2006
  4. andyoz

anubisgrau

that's maybe true but...

changing ATC for PMC is a heresy, as we can now see.

learn the lesson, boys.

anubisgrau, May 19, 2006
  5. andyoz

andyoz

I'm sure I will tire of the PMC's in a couple of years and then move onto something else. That's part of the fun isn't it.

At this price point, manufacturers are still making many design compromises. It just looks like PMC have made decisions that are more pleasing to my ear. Still doesn't mean I won't fondly remember the SCM35's many good virtues. Horses for courses.

andyoz, May 19, 2006
  6. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

Indeed.

But if you get tired of them... trade up to the 3 way pmc studio monitors and that will cure it ;) The ob1s are the best speakers for the money but the ib1s and above are even better. If you get the opportunity to get 1 or 2 3b-sst then go for bi and triamping to really hear those babies sing!

anon_bb, May 19, 2006
  7. andyoz

andyoz

Watch this space, whilst packing one of the speakers for the UPS insurance assessers to take away, I noticed something banging inside cabinet. I unscrewed the crossover plate and the three large copper coils have been ripped from their glued/tied mounts!

These boxes have obviously been dropped from a great height. Can you imagine the force it takes to rip those coils out?

Glad I found it as I can really go in for the kill with the UPS insurers. I am sure that PMC will back me all the way now with this new evidence, don't you think.

(will post some pictures in a minute)

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2006
    andyoz, May 19, 2006
  8. andyoz

rodrat

What is really strange is that both boxes have received similar damage. You are either bloody unlucky or the goods were already damaged. Do you know for sure that the speakers were in good condition when sent?

Rod

rodrat, May 19, 2006
  9. andyoz

andyoz

The damage to the cross-over was only on one speaker.

The seller appears very trustworthy - he was on the phone to me straight away when I emailed him about the damage. He is really sad to see his speakers in this state

These have obviously been thrown off the back of the truck or something. They would have naturally done the same thing to both boxes.

I used to work at a removals company during my summer holidays. If the drivers see an "Fragile" sticker on a box, they often give an extra hard time. If they hear actual damage happening they laugh. I have seen it happen and the sad thing is I got used to that behaviour after about a week of working there.

andyoz, May 19, 2006
  10. andyoz

andyoz

Here's the photos.

You can see how the coils have torn off away from the glue but more amazing is the way it has broken away from the sturdy black plastic tie (I can't break these things between my hands so the impact force has been huge). Note, on the last photo, the coil has been moved 90 degrees from where it should be.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2006
    andyoz, May 19, 2006
  11. andyoz

KUB3 ciao

I had some metal stands delivered once and they arrived well and truly bent. The metal was 3" steel and I couldn't replicate the bend by any amount of force. I think you'd need a sledge hammer or a drop off a building's roof to possibly manage it. I think the pond life who dwell in the delivery industry must try and brighten up their pitifull existence by intentionally smashing up items. There is no other explination.

I refuse to post or accept anything like this through the post. A lesson learned.

KUB3, May 19, 2006
  12. andyoz

andyoz

But the dealers have to get the gear delivered from the distributor who has to get it delivered from the factory....

At some stage your gear is going to be in and out of white vans a few times during it's life.

How do the insurance payouts work in this case anyway? Do they give you the damaged gear back and the money to cover repairs. If that happens here, I could well get these speakers back into useful shape and not bother spending the payout. Shouldn't get ahead of myself though!

andyoz, May 19, 2006
  13. andyoz

KUB3 ciao

Recent hifi I have bought was personally delivered by the factory in the UK, as they dont trust the post anymoe

KUB3, May 19, 2006
  14. andyoz

The Devil IHTFP

I think you might be imagining an argument where there isn't one. I haven't mentioned ATC at all, and the only thing which I've pointed out is that a lot of experienced folk don't seem to like the PMC sound. But if you like them, then that's fair enough.

The Devil, May 19, 2006
  15. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

All of whom happen to be in a very small minority that all own ATC.

I dont beleive you have heard them bub.

anon_bb, May 19, 2006
  16. andyoz

andyoz

Who said anything about an argument?

All I was doing was (correctly) pointing out that I was actually getting some useful advice on the subject until someone came in and started saying that a highly regarded manufacturers products were "rubbish". Hardly a constructive post so I will leave others to judge your motives.

I have liked the PMC sound I have heard so far so I guess that makes me inexperienced.

Keep on poking away there Bub and you may score a point one day mate - the fact you haven't so far seems to annoy you for some reason.

andyoz, May 19, 2006
  17. andyoz

The Devil IHTFP

Yes, I'm really very annoyed. As I said before: if you like 'em, don't listen to anyone else's views. We can't make your mind up for you.

The Devil, May 19, 2006
  18. andyoz

andyoz

Oh, I think you are...come on admit it....just a little bit

andyoz, May 19, 2006
  19. andyoz

The Devil IHTFP

Why should I be annoyed? I honestly can't think of a single reason. I've never heard either of the speakers in the thread title, nor am I ever likely to. A lot of people who I trust have issues with the PMC sound, that's all.

The Devil, May 19, 2006
  20. andyoz

andyoz

Can you please explain to me as clearly as possible why are you posting in a thread where I have asked for opinions about the sound of two specific models that you have never heard.

Feel free to hit me with one of your "classic" one line responses if you like, but I am really, really curious now.

andyoz, May 19, 2006
Ask a Question