Obsidian or Constrained Layer Damping

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Purite Audio, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Purite Audio

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Hanging on to the coat tails as usual ,I have got me an SP10 mark II, I have the option of the Obsidian base, or I can make/ have made something else, I know SM has plumped for slate, MJ send me some beautiful interleaved layer plinths, what do you guys recommend?
    A friend has a 12" SME arm and then cartridge?

Purite Audio, Nov 22, 2007
  2. Purite Audio

covkxw

Hi Keith,

I fancy, but without any valid technical reasons other than past reference points: high-mass together with constrained damping. Probably starting with (isolation) suspended granite/marble base followed by (isolated) 2 or 3 layer upper plinth of marble/granite with damping constrained damping membrane(s) (eg. car body damping sheet, nitrile rubber sheet, cork etc).

Easily available materials and not a too difficult DIY project I would think.

BTW, which SME 12'' - the new 312 would be a good choice, but not the S2.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2007
    covkxw, Nov 22, 2007
  3. Purite Audio

Fen Dancer Two left feet

I've got a Gorbe on top of a slab of slate, and the best thing I did was to put some First impression music rollerblocks ($99 for four) under the slate. It wobbles about a bit when changing LPs but it's pretty stable in reality. You can give my rack a fairly hefty flick (hard enough to hurt) with an LP playing and not hear it - great isolation

Fen Dancer, Nov 22, 2007
  4. Purite Audio

keith

May I resurrect an item mentioned before - the damping feet from 'Quiet PC'. These are graded according to weight load, so as many as needed can be used. I use them underneath slate sheets - works for me...:)

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Nov 22, 2007
  5. Purite Audio

rollo

Is the SP10 a direct drive? With direct drive isolation is critical for optimum performance. An inexpensive solution are Mapleshade "Isoblocks" sitting on mass. I would recco 2 granite slabs with a sheet of damping inbetween spiked to the surface below. If your so inclined try what I did.
    For my TT I stacked 3 tiers of 75% solid concrete block with the voids of the block filled with sand. Each layer of block is separated with a layer of rubber floor mat. The top course has tennis balls sitting in the sand with a 2" thick maple plinth. On top of that is a Sound Organization TT stand.
    It works well with or without the stand. I owned it before I built the block base.

rollo

rollo, Nov 22, 2007
  6. Purite Audio

kmac

Wow!!

But have you allowed for the rotation of the earth or the tilt of its axis??? :D

kmac, Nov 22, 2007
  7. Purite Audio

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

just make sure the arm board is isolated from the rest of the plinth..

sq225917, Nov 23, 2007
  8. Purite Audio

SQ, the advice I have received so far runs contary to that, that the arm board should be joined to the motor ! Interesting business isn't it, somehow I have managed to acquire two SP10's so I shall experiment, thanks Keith.

Purite Audio, Nov 23, 2007
  9. Purite Audio

Markus S Trade

Keith, I'd stay away from the Obsidian plinth. Slate or a composite or layered material would be my choice.

Markus S, Nov 23, 2007
  10. Purite Audio

Markus Hi, that seems to be the consensus, thats the advice Jonathan Weiss ( Oswalds Mill ) gave me, mind you he would say that wouldn't he!

11. Purite Audio

murray johnson

LOL. Same happened to me. Bought 2 on the same day (one on ebay where I expected to be outbid but wasn't!) Look forward to hearing about the outcome of your experiments. Have either turned up yet?

Did Mr Weiss try to flog you any Cogent units?!!

murray johnson, Nov 23, 2007
  12. Purite Audio

MJ Typical isn't it, exactly the same scenario, nothing yet, had a chat to the local woodwork shop, it would take me hours them only minutes to cut the ply, just trying to find a metal shop, Jonatan di try and sell me a plinth! The Cogent boys seem interested in a collaboration with Ralph to make a speaker, I know Ralph heard the drivers at the last Denver show and I know he believes they have possibilities in the right set-up.
    There always seem to be rumours about TAD ceasing production, it might be a mutually beneficial relationship. Keith.

13. Purite Audio

murray johnson

How much is he selling the plinths for? I do realise freight to the UK would be quite expensive too.

If you are going to get any ply cut let me know because I may want in on it and have a set done for my 2nd one.

Cessaro's with Cogents fitted! blimey, they'd be cheap!

Are Cessaro ever going to look at using the 4003 or do they already?

14. Purite Audio

MJ I am sure i could get two lots cut, they have a proper jiggy type thing there, it always impresses me when I visit the workshop, Cessaro's with Cogent drivers ! I hope Ralph doesn't expect me to buy a pair!!
    I believe Ralph prefers the sound of the 4001, does the 4003 use neodymium ( is that how you spell it ) magnets, there ae a couple of smaller Cessaro's in the pipeline, mainly due to reuests from the Far East , Paul has found a really reasonable stone /dressing shop, i wil pass the details if you fancy slate,Keith.

15. Purite Audio

murray johnson

Yes, I believe the 4003 does use Neo magnets but is apparently tidier towards the top of its range. Mike has them. They sounded pretty good (based on my brief exposure) even before he rolled them off & added the tweeter.

I've only ever heard 4001's being used all the way up and on those occasions (unsurprisingly) they've sounded rough. Doubtless they need similar treatment which is what Cessaro seem to do.

I've been looking at the many slate places down here to see who'll do the hole cutting. I don't know though. The ply/ali layered laminate does still appeal.

16. Purite Audio

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

coops: the deck vibrates, the tonearm picks up vibration.

there can be no other reason more important than this for seperating them, physically. how you achieve this may of course have good or bad effects that may outweigh the benefits...

rigid, seperate, geometrically stable, nothing else counts.

sq225917, Nov 23, 2007
  17. Purite Audio

rollo

Actually I paid more attention to the gravitational pull of the moon. you should hear it when thers a full moon. Just can't get rid of that howling.

rollo

rollo, Nov 23, 2007
  18. Purite Audio

Baudrillard

I need to get a plinth cut for my one, too.

Baudrillard, Nov 23, 2007
  19. Purite Audio

i_should_coco Monkey

Don't be such jessies make your own - borrowed router + afternoon =

Attached Files:

i_should_coco, Nov 23, 2007
  20. Purite Audio

cooky1257

Where are all these s/h SP10's coming from?:cry:-I want one but never seem to spot them for sale(well at sensible money anyway)?

cooky1257, Nov 23, 2007
Ask a Question