of the Naim faith, NAP 140 anyone?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by the_young_once, Oct 26, 2009.

1. the_young_once

RobHolt Moderator

We can all recount such storys.
    Doesn't change the fact that a NAP140 is easily damaged because it cannot reject signals which it cannot safely amplify.
    If it does go tits-up I certainly wouldn't want to be wearing headphones attached to it at the time.

If you want to take the risk that's fine, but not pointing out the danger to others, or worse, pretending it doesn't exist is irresponsible.

RobHolt, Oct 28, 2009
  2. the_young_once

the_young_once budget-conscious

Made the leap, if at least just to try it out for awhile after a long listening session at the dealership on Friday, nevertheless thanks everyone for their views on this, always good to have differing opinions for discussion :) I have no intention yet to try something like this but the dealer did roughly say that replacing the Naim pre with another (even if) higher-end pre, may not yield the best results;

In that sense the Naim NAC and NAP combos are not (in my opinion) true pre+power separates, because they don't really allow for swapping and mix-and-match we would normally associate with such, rather, they are more like an integrated split into 2 chassis--of course for better isolation, a more dedicated design, and ultimately swapping different combinations of pre and power, if only within their own brand;

Doing much reading prior to this move, I found that, as RobHolt has said, the NAC pre's do ALL the signal preparation, specifically frequency bandwidth while the NAP runs free at the top-end, and this may cause problems if non-Naim pre's are used;

Thanks to all also, yes I did check out the Naim forum, hmm, Gestapo tactics you say? :D I feel some of them may come across as too fervent supporters of the brand, rather unbalanced with quite a few extolling the benefits of a FULL Naim setup, I take everything with a pack of salt, but nevertheless an informative source over there;

The Naim combo I now have gives a very up-front sound, coming from an Arcam background, I do prefer a relaxed, luscious midrange, laid back kind of presentation but could live with this as well, can't have my cake and eat it, I'm not about to start saying I'm a convert and that Naim cleans the floor but it is refreshing at least for a change; :cool:

Have to say thanks to all for pointing out potential things I might have overlooked, now the owner of a 42.5/90 combo, yea robM, got the 90 instead, not half bad, could do better but I'm ok; despite the low rating of 30wpc, maybe it's the power supply, it sounds beefier than that;

Enjoy the music,
    Kenny

the_young_once, Nov 1, 2009
Ask a Question