Oh Dear, A Cable Finding

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by icehockeyboy, May 30, 2008.

1. icehockeyboy

icehockeyboy

I'll apologise in advance, especially as I dont want to start any cable wars, but, ive recently bought some ic's that are at the lowest end of the price scale, and yet they equal others Ive had that cost £600 a metre, and £330. (BR Oratorio, and Chord Anthem)
    The low priced NVA Sound Cords came into my posession via a swop when I sold on my Opera Consonance xlr cdp, and took them in against some xlr's.
    To say I was astounded was a bit of an understatement, the bottom end especially!
    Now, like most audiofools, I though, well, if these are so good, the Sound Pipes, must be better, and having contacted Richard Dunn, who posts here regularly, to ask what the major differences would be when going "up the ladder", I bought some SP's.
    Problem was, when they arrived, they were actually too short, and, being of a solid type construction, it meant I had to shift all my kit around in the rack to ge them to reach the two items I needed to join.
    The following morning swmbo arrived back from her flight, and was not impressed at how the place looked, and suggested to me(ordered me), to put it back as it was.
    I did as ordered (suggested) with the intention of buying longer SP's, except, when I had re connected the Sound Cords, the sound I witnessed was stunning, better to my ears than the dearer Sound Pipes, ( if the buyer of my Pipes is reading this...........sorry!) but, for some reason, synergy maybe, the cheap humble Sound Cord was just so....................right!
    They are currently the silly price on e bay of £9.99 for 0.7 m, which I recall means they have a 70% discount, and, as the firm have a money back deal going, I would suggest you give a pair a try, its hardly going to break the bank!

icehockeyboy, May 30, 2008
  2. icehockeyboy

DavidF

If you've got the dosh....and you're getting the results ....thats cool to me!

:cool:

DavidF, May 30, 2008
  3. icehockeyboy

zanash

yes I've had them demoed [though I think they were the sound pipe] ...not bad for the money ...sound was a little thick dull and un involving compared with the set he finally swapped to.

the owners system was cyrus based if that make a difference ....

zanash, May 30, 2008
  4. icehockeyboy

mr cat Member of the month

yuou got a link to these cheap cables..?

cheers

mr cat, May 30, 2008
  5. icehockeyboy

dos

dos, May 30, 2008
  6. icehockeyboy

icehockeyboy

Even if you dont like them, you can send em back!
    As I say though, maybe synergy has much to do with it, I had a pair of TCI Cobras a while back, and to me they were just too "dry" in my system, and weresold on.
    As at this moment in time, I will certainly be keeping the Cords, in fact Ive added a 2nd pair to link the tuner.

icehockeyboy, May 30, 2008
  7. icehockeyboy

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

be careful around the RCA plugs.

The cable is as stiff as a coat hanger (at least mine was) and broke around the RCA plugs.

Just be careful where you bend it..

bottleneck, May 30, 2008
  8. icehockeyboy

cooky1257

NVA all great cables IMHO.
    Loved the analogue soundpipes for their solid foundation they give to the performance -loved em.
    Their soundpipe digital is by far the best digi cable I've heard/use too.
    You can also upgrade at 100% trade in afaik.

cooky1257, May 30, 2008
  9. icehockeyboy

dos

My cheap sound cords have just turned up. Seem good and very uncoloured. Don't think that they are quite as good as the £100 cables I normally use (local hifi shop made) which seem to give a little better 'air and space' but a great buy for £10 and not a lot in it at all.

dos, Jun 2, 2008
  10. icehockeyboy

rockabillybass

First post from me on here..

I bough a pair of these after reading this thread. They turned up today. I don't think I can tell them apart from my Van den Hul "The Name". The NVA may have better bass - a bit more dynamic and punchy and perhaps slightly better top end. I suppose it could be the old placebo effect etc..

Anyway, it's really close and the VDH's were five times the price..
    :confused:

rockabillybass, Jun 2, 2008
  11. icehockeyboy

icehockeyboy

We are talking about the Sound Cords here, not the stiff Sound Pipes, which obviously you had/have.

icehockeyboy, Jun 2, 2008
  12. icehockeyboy

speedy.steve

I gave these a go as at the price the plugs are nearly worth that.
    I have a Myriad interconnect that I don't use and various homebrews that I do use.
    The sound cords came today and I must say I like them - need more listening time but for the current price you could do a lot worse.

IHB, how would you describe them as better than the Sound Pipes?
    Zanash described the Sound pipe as "sound was a little thick dull and un involving", was this what you experienced.

I would say the cords are quite lively in the top end but nicely balanced. Not more bass than my other IC's but not lacking either.

speedy.steve, Jun 4, 2008
  13. icehockeyboy

icehockeyboy

Hi Steve, the first thing I noticed with the Cords was actually better bass than with any of my other ic's, and unfortunately the Pipes had nowhere near as much, although I reckon they may have had a tad more detail, but, having been a "detail freak" for as long as I can recall, I can honestly say that I have never spent so much time just listening to music. They really have made it a pleasure to do just that, too much so infact!

icehockeyboy, Jun 4, 2008
  14. icehockeyboy

mickm

nva bargain cable

hi just had a listen to the nva , they arrived very promptly after placing my order last thursday , let them burn for 48 hours !

same thoughts as most at a tenner what the heck !

give them a listen and can only agree they are indeed a bargain ! currently have , chord chorus , vdh ultimates , ensemble dynaflux
    cables ranging from 200 -400 all good to my ear but not cheap

nva,s have great bass , plenty of transparency ,overall a musical and balanced cable very similar in ways to the vdh

mickm, Jun 13, 2008
  15. icehockeyboy

jayceem

nva sound cords

After 48hrs: best balanced i/c i've come across(tuner-pre).

jayceem, Jun 15, 2008
  16. icehockeyboy

icehockeyboy

They dont do a balanced cable, I asked Richard if they made one, and his response was as I wrote at the start of this post...........?

icehockeyboy, Jun 22, 2008
Ask a Question