Oh 'Ell Michell is Incognito

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by penance, Aug 18, 2003.

1. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

My TT project is now underway:)
    Ill be fitting an RB300 to wich i want to do some mods

The incognito rewire looks to be the best due to its complete single cable run, as opposed to the OL wich uses a plug in the arm base.
    Im not sure what structure mod to use, the OL mod seems well respected but now Michell are marketing the Techno Weight and im interested in both.
    Anyone have any commenst or ideas on these mods?

penance, Aug 18, 2003
  2. penance

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hiya

You can also get the complete techno-arm, which has a re-wire in it.

As I understand it, the Michell weight hangs below the arm tube, therefore lowering the centre of gravity to the height of the cartridge (a good thing Im told).

The OL weight doesnt do that, there is another that does ''heavy weight'' or something.. although its dearer.

Why not just go for the techno-arm?

Alternatively, Emporium sell ex-dem (ahem) origin live silvers for £500, and take your existing arm in trade... so £400??...

just some thoughts.

Chris

bottleneck, Aug 18, 2003
  3. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Financial reasons at the moment :(
    i already have the RB300 so it will suffice at the mo, by doing the mods i can go 1 at a time as money permits.

Im not 100% sure but i believe the OL weight is of center to put the center of gravity inline with the cart?

penance, Aug 18, 2003
  4. penance

bottleneck, Aug 18, 2003
  5. penance

SimonConnell

Well

Having owned the Incognito version and listened to (and fiddled with) an OL version, you'd be mad not to get the Incognito. It's a really quality, well sorted product, essentially a custom made cabling loom (By, I believe, Cardas) - its really well made and sounds great. In comparison, the OL is a little bit 'made in a shed', and doesn't sound as good, especially in the treble - possibly as a result of that join in the cable.
    I had an arm OL structurally modded (the older chrome one, not the newer gold one), and again wasn't really that impressed. The stub was good, a well thought out product. However, the weight was a little on the naff side, as the fixing bolt was a tad agricultural. Having fiddled with a Tecno counterweight at the Bristol show, it felt a really professional product, and incredibly well designed - no-one can disagree with the logicality of slinging the counterweight that low, and its been done in a very clever way.
    In conclusion, OL may have got there first with the mods, but they've been beaten at their own game. There's no contest with regards to the wiring - Incognito all the time, and the Michell counterweight seems to be the way to go. If you've only got the money to do one of the two right now, go for the wiring first, it's the achillies heel of the Rega arms. For a bit more at a later date, the counterweight will build on the performance.
    Simon

SimonConnell, Aug 18, 2003
  6. penance

sideshowbob Trisha

Or just splash out and buy a full Technoarm, which has the nice underslung weight *and* Cardas wiring.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 18, 2003
  7. penance

soundzandpower BBQ?

Yes I'd also recomend the Incognito re-wire it makes a big difference and to my ear removed the slightly splashy corse top end of the stock Rega arm. However, unless your really handy with the solder iron I would advise that for the £15 that is charged for fitting is money well spent. Soldering the cartridge tags on is a bitch! I bought mine from British Audio products Online.

My other Rega mod is the Expressimo HeavyWeight replacment counterweight. Which is a low slung jobby. Replacing the stock rega weight with this was a phenominal upgrade improving timing, detail and soundstaging. It was bit pricey (£80) but i understand that Nutwood Music Company do a copy for I believe somewhere in the £35 mark (Don't qoute me on that one).

Anyway, best of luck in whatever you go for I'm sure that the Incognito and whatever replacment counterweight will make a big improvment.

soundzandpower, Aug 18, 2003
  8. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Thanks for the advice all
    i think its the incognito rewire for sure

soundzandpower would you know where i can get the expressimo kit?

penance, Aug 18, 2003
  9. penance

SimonConnell

Expressimo

Express Machining / Expressimo Audio counterweights are (I believe) available from HiFiForSale.com. Mind you, they're not exactly high-tech compared to the Michell solution, and outclassed at £90 these days - they were one of the first to market aftermarket counterweights and could charge what they want, but againw ere beaten at their own game (as shown by Nutwoods £35 copy).
    Simon

SimonConnell, Aug 18, 2003
  10. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

so is the techno weight winning?
    im confudled:confused:

penance, Aug 18, 2003
  11. penance

Another point with the Michell counterweight is you actually get TWO of them..

The heavier one , obviously for heavier cartridges, means you can have the weight further away from the end, which is obviously a good thing.

Yeah, personally Id go with the Michell counterweight, as its not that much money either.

Chris

bottleneck, Aug 18, 2003
  12. penance

SimonConnell

Yes

If you've only got the money for the Incognito then get that first, but the Tecno is the counterweight to have.
    Simon

SimonConnell, Aug 19, 2003
Ask a Question