Oh god - more stuff to tweak...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by julian2002, Dec 5, 2004.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

got fed up with my server pc grinding away in the corner yesterday and decided to give it a good work over. i've scoured it's hard drives of all unnecessary apps, spyware, adware and viruses, upgraded slimserver and..... nothing not a dicky's woth of difference, the hard drive still thashes like the proverbial.
    so i switch over the kvm to the server and re-boot. 64 mb of memory, now that's not right it should be 128 at least. a bit of power down poking about and a heart attack later when windows was saying it had been corrupted and i discover that one of the sticks of memory is severly shafted. nip down to pc world this morning for a shiny new 256mb of ram and a 50ft cat5e cable. i'm now running the squeezebox wired with 300mb+ of ram and the hard drive is hardly twitching.
    results?
    well bass is fuller and more detailed, pace is more lively and the soundstage my be a gnats wider but that's splittinmg hairs. now of course all this isn't double blinded and is in my opinion blah blah blah but it makes you think about what can and cannot effect your music. i remember when tony came over and sprayed my system with lobster junk that one of his power cables on the pc made quite a difference. i may be mad but i feel a power cable some supports and possibly some internal wire tidying and shielding is on the horizon and just when i was thinking i was happy too. what we do for HOBBY eh?
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 5, 2004
  2. julian2002

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

You're not meant to smoke the cat5 you know...

I-S, Dec 5, 2004
  3. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i know. still if some people think they can make speaker cable out of the stuff then..... ;)
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 5, 2004
  4. julian2002

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

You're not meant to smoke the cat5 you know...

Just eat it....far better effect

Regards

Chea Johndle, Dec 5, 2004
  5. julian2002

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

i know I have...

Chea Johndle, Dec 5, 2004
Ask a Question