old nice speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JackOTrades, Jan 20, 2005.

1. JackOTrades

Flying Red

The Sansui AU-217 was the de rigeur budget amp in the 70''s, only beaten by the JVC JAS-11 (I think that was the model name, it was about 30W/ch rms with a brushed aluminium front panel). If you want to race ahead to the eighties look out for a Pioneer A400 - a serious performer that I happily substituted for my Naim chrome bumper gear when it was away for servicing.

FR

Flying Red, Jan 25, 2005
  2. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

That's great stuff, Andrew. I never knew about this amp. Do you know how much is fair to pay for something like that these days? I know how ebay can turn into an expensive exercise... It really is the first time I hear about this model.

FR thanks for the info on the Sansui. Very interesting. Would the QED mentioned by Andrew be a better amp, do you think?

Cheers!
    Jack

JackOTrades, Jan 26, 2005
  3. JackOTrades

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

My first proper amp (after the early 70s 12W/ch Rotel receiver I started out with) was a Sansui AU-317 handed down to me by my Dad when he moved to an Arcam Delta 60. An absolutely cracking amp and just one up the chain from the 217. Brick outhouse build, lovely controls and oomph a plenty. I gave it to a friend and seriously wish I hadn't now. Used it with Monitor Audio MA5s - unfortunately long gone to HiFi heaven.

Uncle Ants, Jan 26, 2005
  4. JackOTrades

joel Shaman of Signals

I could have written that.

joel, Jan 26, 2005
  5. JackOTrades

Dev Moderator

I agree with the bigger bit, as for older? not necessarily so.

Dev, Jan 26, 2005
  6. JackOTrades

joel Shaman of Signals

Quite so, but I suspect that Tannoy went downhill* after they moved away from London (AFAIK after the death of Guy Fountain).
    Just a suspicion, mind.

*Tannoy still make some fine speakers, but perhaps not quite as fine as they once did.

joel, Jan 26, 2005
  7. JackOTrades

Dev Moderator

Some believe Tannoy went downhill with the HPD driver, which as you know was introduced to cope with greater power than the earlier units which were lighter and therefore more responsive. The foam surround was stiffer with HPD IIRC which coped with greater power but made the drivers slightly slower. This probably was near the time of their move to Scotland, but I don't think it was the move that that affected Tannoy quality more like driver updates. I'm sure the Scots can build speakers just as well :).

I'm biased as you know and I think they still make very nice speakers, if only I had the money and space for a 15 incher in the Prestige range.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2005
    Dev, Jan 26, 2005
  8. JackOTrades

Andrewxyz

Jack, the QED is very good for voice and instrumentals, OK with rock & big orchestral pieces. I'd say my Audiolab 8000S was better for that sort of thing. The big ATC is well ahead of either.

When it was launched in 85/86 as part of QED's separates range (amp, tuner & rebadged Rega turntable) it was priced ahead of quality "entry level" stuff such as the NAD 3020. It got a very good review which was why I bought it (after a demo of course)

Only other mention of it that I can recall is someone on PinkFish comparing it to a NAIT 1. Never heard one of those so can't comment.

My first proper job, my first proper system! Phillips CD104, QED A240CD & Mordaunt Short MS10's. The Phillips eventually died but I've still got the amp & speakers as "spares".

Sadly the shop I bought them from "Beaver Radio" in Liverpool is now closing after 40 years in the business.......

Andrewxyz, Jan 26, 2005
  9. JackOTrades

Terry

KEF oldies

You might do wose that look out some old KEF speakers. The late 60s through to mid 80s was a period when KEF drive units were used widely by other speaker makers and diy enthusiasts. These drive units are still in use today in the million or more LS3/5as never mind the wide range of other systems which use the KEF units first designed in that period. See this link for more information.
    Terry

Terry, Jan 27, 2005
  10. JackOTrades

joel Shaman of Signals

The big Westminster (with the 18" driver) is a stunning speaker. Bigger is alwys better with Tannoy. That said, here in Nippon, where the real value of Tannoy has always been appreciated, Monitor Red or Monitor Gold drivers in GWF cabs are what the afficionados go for.

joel, Jan 27, 2005
  11. JackOTrades

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

What's going to be there in Beaver's place? I go up to Liverpool about 4 times a year and I always liked the look of the exterior of that shop...

...unfortunately I'm usually being dragged round by my 43 y/o (looking like 63 y/o, haggard wicked witch of the North) sister, so no time to check it out...

domfjbrown, Jan 27, 2005
  12. JackOTrades

Dev Moderator

I hate to correct you Joel, but Tannoy do not make 18"DC. Westminsters are ¨only¨ 15¨. The 18¨ drivers are bass only for Kingdoms.

You are absolutely correct about the Monitor Red and Gold drivers, they came before the HPD range and are the most highly regarded. But I'm not fussy, I could make do with modern 15inchers:D.

Dev, Jan 27, 2005
  13. JackOTrades

joel Shaman of Signals

No prob, thanks for that, Kingdoms, those are the ones. I think the general rule is that bigger is better. A 15" DC in a suitably large cab will also sound superb. I' found out yesterday that there is a s/h record shop not too far from home that uses GRF Autographs as the shop speakers :)

joel, Jan 27, 2005
  14. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

Andrew,

The QED was a great idea and I am pursuing that. Do you have any thoughts on how that would compare with say a Creek 4040?

I couldn't bid on those two links you sent me because I was in the US last week towards the end of the week... but I hope some more come up.

Cheers!
    Jack

JackOTrades, Jan 31, 2005
Ask a Question