old v new

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by prourke, May 3, 2008.

1. prourke

prourke

hi,
    how would a Linn lk1 with dirak stack up against a Cambridge 640P
    will the old stuff hold its own against the new budget pre amps?
    cheers peter

prourke, May 3, 2008
  2. prourke

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I never thought the LK1 was anything very special.

YNMOAN, May 3, 2008
  3. prourke

prourke

hi thanks for your reply
    but i was curious if the older lk1 -expensive at the time- was capable of holding its own against a present day budget preamp
    . expressing a dislike for the lk1 doesn't really tell me much apart from the obvious.
    is it better to by 'quality' vintage or will the newer budget stuff outperform ?
    cheers peter

prourke, May 5, 2008
  4. prourke

Mr.C

zerogain is dead

Mr.C, May 5, 2008
  5. prourke

DavidF

No, its not Mr.C.

...but, I'm not quite sure why there has been a limited response here.

DavidF, May 5, 2008
  6. prourke

zanash

I suspect that he meant you could find better ..both new or s/h

I will also concur that you can get better new or s/h ....As to what, thats very hard to say as its a matter of personal taste and any recommendation can only be coloured by personal preference.

imo you really need to listen to the new against the old to see if it offers better performance.

zanash, May 6, 2008
  7. prourke

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Sorry for my rather 'limited' response I was in a bit of a hurry. Zanash is correct, what I really meant is that the LK1 would be a long way down my second hand 'to purchase' list. If you would like second hand equipment of that age (and general type) I would strongly recommend Naim which sounded better and can still be serviced (Linn will nor repair an LK1 and they are known to go wrong). The rest of your question is a bit vague I'm afraid. I have listened in depth to the 640p and I prefer my 'vintage' Naim gear (some do not). There is a great deal of Naim versus 640p discussion on PFM at present (and in the past). The 640p isn't a 'modern' pre-amp though - in fact, it's not a pre-amp, just a phono stage, you need a pre-amp as well.

I would buy 'quality' vintage - however, not the Linn amps.

YNMOAN, May 6, 2008
  8. prourke

zanash

I'm not a total fan of naim ...but think that they should be better than those you mention .....

the 640 pre can be made to sing but in standard form is a good solid phono pre at a decent price ...stick in some decent rectifiers and good psu caps ...a good opamp and it punches well above its weight.

zanash, May 6, 2008
  9. prourke

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

LK1 v 640p

Having used the 640p into my new naim amps which replaced the LK1 LK280 gear I can without doubt say that in my opinion the LK1 phono boards are way better. The 640p for the money is good and as far as the difference in cost the 640p is a star but if your after better seek elsewhere beyond the 640p

DaveHiFi, May 9, 2008
  10. prourke

Corky 20th Century survivor

Buckinghamshire and soon moving to Yorkshire
    I can't answer your specific question about these components as I don't have the depth of knowledge and/or experience that many of the (very helpful and generous) posters here do but, as a consumer of hi fi gear, I feel quite strongly that so long as servicing can be done, old 'quality' beats new 'budget' almost all the time.

I have a 'but' though, and that is that I feel that pre amps and phono stages are among the areas where genuine (as opposed to claimed) progress has been made - the more so now that some smaller and niche designer/builders have had a chance to shine of late.

So as a principle - I'm totally with you; but in this specific case, I'm not sure.

Corky, May 9, 2008
Ask a Question