Older or Newer CD player ? (for that is the question)....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DancingPloughBoy58, Apr 16, 2019.

1. DancingPloughBoy58

DancingPloughBoy58

Hello All, This is my first posting and I am looking for some helpful views. I currently use an Audiolab 8200CD with the Audiolab 8200A amplifier, it is these two items which I MAY replace. The speakers are Tannoy Revolution 6F floorstanders (and I won't be replacing these). The question I have been asking myself is should I consider going up the price scale to something which 9 years ago cost around £1,700 (and has held it's price and regard very well to the present day) - Roksan Caspian M2 CD player, or should I consider something more recent (and considerably less expensive), with all the improvements and hugely positive reviews which that entails - Marantz CD6006 UK model ?
    So, considering the developments & improvements which have taken place during the past 9 years, which would you suggest woulb be the best improvement (I will consider the amplifier separately on another occasion depending on my decision on which CD player (if any) I choose as a replacement.
    My listening is wide ranging - 70's rock, folk, classical, baroque, 70's roots reggae and electronica from the 90's to the present.
    I hope this will stimulate your thoughts and I look forward to reading your views. Thank you in advance.

DancingPloughBoy58, Apr 16, 2019
  2. DancingPloughBoy58

groberton

Hi.
    Welcome. I don't post much on here but I saw your question and I thought I would share with you what I did when faced with the same type of decision. Hopefully it may be of some use to you.
    I knew I wanted to upgrade my amp and CD player after using the Sony CDP X3000ES (the gold shoebox player). The Sony CD is really highly regarded so I wasn't sure what to do to get an upgrade. The advice I received was to look at the DAC and/or amp. People said that the CD player going into a different DAC would probably give me the upgrade I needed and I could continue to use the CD player purely as a transport.
    So, after much looking around I chose a Cyrus integrated amp with a QX DAC - this offered me multiple inputs so I could upgrade the sound quality of more than one device, not just the CD player.

The result was incredible! I got an immediate and noticeable improvement in sound quality across not only CDs, but also my other sources.

The Sony ran as a lovely transport and I have only recently upgraded this to a Cyrus CD transport but to be honest I can't tell the difference...

Hope this was of use and gives you a slightly different angle to approach things.

groberton, May 1, 2019
  3. DancingPloughBoy58

DancingPloughBoy58

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am still pondering over what to do but your suggestions are most welcome and I appreciate the other angle you have given.

Regards.

DancingPloughBoy58, May 8, 2019
Ask a Question