Olsen mains board

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Jan 31, 2004.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I've now got my olson board in place, and it's a bit of a difference. The board I have is one of the industrial ones, which is basically a sound fantastic without the black paint and with angled sockets.

Previously I was powering all my kit from the trichord power block, but felt it dynamically constrained the amp a bit (but it was a better trade off than the hashiness introduced by not having it on the trichord.

Now I have the olson plugging into the wall, with the amp powered directly off that, and the CD player and DAC powered from the trichord fed from the olson.

This seems to be the "ideal" setup. The amplifier no longer has the dynamic limitation, but it doesn't pick up the hashiness.

As a whole, the change to the system is a good one. There's a fraction more weight to the bass, with slightly better control there, and a slightly more natural presentation overall. I'm happy with it.

I-S, Jan 31, 2004
  2. I-S

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I take it these are cheaper than the Sounds Fantastic! ones? I've been wondering about one of those. Where can you get the industrial ones from?

Cheers,

Martin

MartinC, Feb 3, 2004
  3. I-S

cookiemonster

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2004
    cookiemonster, Feb 3, 2004
  4. I-S

Sgt Rock

What effect does the neon have on the sound ?

Sgt Rock, Feb 3, 2004
  5. I-S

Not sure, but it was only working intermittently, so I opened it up and took it out of circuit. It was wired directly into the first socket, and I have heard that neons do no favours for mains quality, so took it out. Can't say for sure whether it made any difference at all, but at least I don't have a randomly flashing red light now.

The internals are wired up with 2.5mm ^2 copper wire. It's all just screw terminals, except for spades onto the filter unit. I think some rewiring is in order...

I-S, Feb 3, 2004
  6. I-S

penance Arrogant Cock

About the only thing worth while i get at work
    A helping to Olsen blocks:D

penance, Feb 3, 2004
  7. I-S

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Glad to hear it's doing the job for you Isaac.

I've got an over crowded standard Argos effort and need to change it as much due to needing MOre sockets as anything.

How much would one of these set me back, probably needing at least 8 sockets.

Cheers

MO :D

MO!, Feb 3, 2004
  8. I-S

The Sound fantastic 8 way is a little under £100 inc VAT and delivery. The industrial versions are cheaper I believe.

On Ebay they seem to attract silly money. A 4 way sound fantastic went for £70 odd with £10 shipping. A whopping £4 saving on a new one.

I-S, Feb 3, 2004
Ask a Question