ON books... Anyone else read The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by domfjbrown, Jul 8, 2003.

1. domfjbrown

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Just curious - has anyone else read it? If so, what did you make of it?

Seems like a lot of common sense in there, but some other bits that seem strange but also seem to work... The life dramas bit - if you can master it - would be really useful. I'm getting there...

Not too sure about the idea of being able to become invisible though - unless that's metaphorically speaking of course...

domfjbrown, Jul 8, 2003
  2. domfjbrown

Mr_Sukebe

I think I have read it.

As you say, more of what it says is fairly obvious and common sense. Not wholly convinced by the idea of "aura" and "energy" which they seem to infer.

At the end of the day, you could sum both it and the bible with:
    "enjoy yourself and be nice to people".

If people went along with the above core belief, with all of their actions based on this, the world would be a much better place.

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 8, 2003
  3. domfjbrown

julian2002 Muper Soderator

party on dudes...:guitar: :techno:
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 8, 2003
  4. domfjbrown

...neither was I originally, but then I got thinking about it... There's a few people I've met in my time that I've instantly "got" - the only explanation is that even if I can't see it (I can't see most things anyway!) I've picked up on their aura somehow - after all we only use 10% of the mind right?

The energy thing DOES work though - think about the "poor me" life drama. You get someone sapping your energy indirectly (this life drama is the most passive) by making you feel guilty (and thus waste thoughts and time) over them because they are making you feel bad about having life better than them - for example. Trust me on this one - my sister uses the "poor me" all the time on my family - and it really DOES take your energy... So that's one of the four that works out. The other three do as well, but they don't seem as energy sapping as the "poor me" IME...

The invisibility thing though - not convinced. However, happy plants = happy people and vice versa - I'm a firm believer in that one :)

domfjbrown, Jul 9, 2003
  5. domfjbrown

HenryT

Never read the book myself, but the more I hear about its contents the more I conclude that it's 90% common sense too.

The dressing up of commonly known facts about body language, verbal/non-verbal communication and pshycology re-packaged as super natural thenomina (sp?), IMHO.

The energy thing... Read somewhere else about stress transference in a "improve yourself" :eek: book. Some people internalise their stress, whilst others transfer it by "communicating" it through sob stories, blame, etc. Stress bearers and stress carriers. Notice I said "communicating" whether through verbal or non-verbal means or physical actions. I know it's probably a different slant on the same thing at the end of the day, it's just that I'm a total sceptic when it comes to things supernatural or paranormal, so prefer the more rational interpretation of the same thing which I've just given. :)

HenryT, Jul 9, 2003
  6. domfjbrown

phenomena :)

domfjbrown, Jul 9, 2003
  7. domfjbrown

HenryT

Well, I was close! ;) Maybe I should start believing in telepathy and thought-transference then, it'd be a damn site easier than trying to master this damn English language thing! :p

HenryT, Jul 10, 2003
  8. domfjbrown

Thought transferrence does exist - although how much of it is autosuggestion/knowing someone well is debateable. I've had a couple of freaky incidents in my time - I just wish my brain could hear "better" 'cos I only got half a sentence out of someone else once!

domfjbrown, Jul 10, 2003
Ask a Question