One for the 'believers'

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Jul 8, 2007.

?

How much does a really good cable cost?

1. £1-£49

40.0%
  2. £50-£99

20.0%
  3. £100-£199

22.0%
  4. £200-£499

8.0%
  5. Over £500

10.0%
  1. Tenson

Joe

£50 is the price of a decent bottle of claret. Serious money in my book.

Joe, Jul 9, 2007
  2. Tenson

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

deoxywatsit: absolutesybollox.

polish your pins, don't waste money on an a deoxidising agent that doesn't even has a chemically active ingredient warning.

its good for pots, and nowt else.

sq225917, Jul 10, 2007
  3. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

I suppose given the comments I should have asked where you cable 'believers' feel diminishing returns sets in with regards to price?

Thanks for your votes so far, it is interesting at least that the £100-200 bracket is starting to pull ahead a bit.

Tenson, Jul 10, 2007
  4. Tenson

dcathro

"cable 'believers'" - There's something a bit condescending about this term, like they're whackier than scienologists or people who believe in UFO's.

I am not a believer, although I have some that I like, and lot's that I don't.

dcathro, Jul 10, 2007
  5. Tenson

AlexTaylor

I think the poll question is a bit duff. There are cables I consider really good at all the above price points, and ones in particular that get better the more money you spend. Similarly I have heard some cacky ones for a grand.

AlexTaylor, Jul 10, 2007
  6. Tenson

DavidF

Thats very restrained, Ian.

DavidF, Jul 10, 2007
  7. Tenson

DavidF

I think non beleivers are those that beleive a piece of bell wire is as good as anything else and anything else is a waste of time?? (Ian/Simon/Tones?)

Therefore you woould be considered to be a beleiver?

DavidF, Jul 10, 2007
  8. Tenson

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

I think that's a bit disingenuous :) The sceptical view is that provided two cables measure as electrically equivalent and are adequetely shielded they will sound the same. Since fifty quid will easily get you a well shielded, well constructed conductor, this does seem like a reasonable bottom rung fo the poll. In fact even Zanash's Type 1 silver are only this kind of money, I seem to remember. I'm pretty sure I've never spent more than this

johnfromnorwich, Jul 10, 2007
  9. Tenson

sideshowbob Trisha

Correct. It's also very important to remember that it's almost certain that the wire in your £500 interconnect is pretty much the same as that in a £10 version from the high street, as almost no boutique cable company actually makes wire, they buy off the shelf stuff from RS Components and the like and put it in a nice sheath, maybe do some plaiting on it. They are not "cable manufacturers" in any real sense.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 10, 2007
  10. Tenson

ADPully

This data is useful to know - My conclusion 50% of us who think cables make a difference think there is some value in spending more than £50 on an IC. I would still be interested in know the relative proportion of people on this forum who think there is no value in spending more than £10 - my guess its around 10% ?

FYI most expensive IC cable purchase for me was £124 - many years ago for some new Audio synthesis silver blue. I find it detailed and explicit but ultimately a little tiring to listen to over a whole evening when compared with some mid price audionote stuff I have loaned from a mate. I am now most likely to buy my next cables second hand probably silver. If I found stuff similar in sound to the AN stuff but cheaper I would buy it

ADPully, Jul 10, 2007
  11. Tenson

Effem Cable manufacturer

So too would a lot of others :D I had until recently a set of the Audion Note Japan QSSC interconnects in my system so I know exactly what you mean.

Effem, Jul 10, 2007
  12. Tenson

murray johnson

I can think of two that do & both make extremely good, if expensive, cables. However I'd agree that most are made using off the shelf wire and are much of a muchness performance wise.

murray johnson, Jul 10, 2007
  13. Tenson

DavidF

Apologies..:rolleyes:

I'm sure you're right Ian.

I'm currently (no pun intended) using silver /gold cables (a la Pete)....the next ones I like are Petes platanum alloys (have I got it right this time, pete?).

I have to say I wouldn't buy off the high street as they seem over priced.

DavidF, Jul 10, 2007
  14. Tenson

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

surely the whole point of buying home made is that you make them yourself.

sq225917, Jul 10, 2007
  15. Tenson

DavidF

You can't do everything.

I wish you (I) could

DavidF, Jul 10, 2007
  16. Tenson

DavidF

I agree, thats an interesting one.

(I don't dare lsten to anything TOO good though; you know you going to have to give it back....:())

DavidF, Jul 10, 2007
  17. Tenson

hifi addict

It depends on your system. My cable set comes to £6K. But thats my personal choice. Saying that I heard some cables costing £15K which I thought sounded shut in and compressed. Then I heard some cheap bell wire sound fantastict!.

I'm confused now.

Try before you buy.

hifi addict, Jul 12, 2007
  18. Tenson

sastusbulbas

I find a balanced system to be quite revealing of cable choices, no different to a single ended system ?

I would also suggest that choosing cables and expecting differences would depend on ancillary choice also, A $200 amp and $200 CD player with $200 speakers may not show much difference between a $5o and $500 cable, take it up to $2k per box and things should change, at $10k per box yet another window may be opened to what capabilities a certain cable may possess.

sastusbulbas, Jul 13, 2007
Ask a Question