one night with queen

Discussion in 'General Music' started by themadhippy, Apr 4, 2004.

1. themadhippy

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

over the years i've seen quite a few tribute acts, some good, some terrible, tonight i saw what in my opinion is the best tribute yet, gary mullen, one night with queen
    initally i thought the little guy with scotish accent was one of the crew, wrong this was the man himself, once on stage he changed into freddie mercurcy, the voice, the stage presence, the costumes even the facial expresion were all there.
    The rest of the musicians were just as good,ok they don't look like queen, well the guitarist has a perm, but they certainly sound like them,several times during the show it was hard to tell if it was realy a tribute band, or had i been transported back a few years to wembley or knebworth, (the lack of flight cases and artics gave the game away) even the lighting had the queen feel to it.
    if you get a chance to see this show,and you like the music of queen,go you wont be disapointed,from fat bottom girls to friends will be friends, nearly all the popular numbers are there,and 1 or 2 of the more obscure numbers,and yes they even walk off stage during the twiddly bit of bohemian rhapsody.

themadhippy, Apr 4, 2004
  2. themadhippy

lordsummit moderate mod

Have you got any dates?

lordsummit, Apr 4, 2004
  3. themadhippy

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2004
    themadhippy, Apr 4, 2004
  4. themadhippy

HenryT

Saw a Queen tribute band down in Plymouth once a few years back. Can't remember what they called themselves though. They were OK, the vocalist didn't quite have Freddie's absolute power and range to be 100% convincing but overall it was obvious they'd worked hard get most of nuances right. :)

There's a date very local to me on 26th June in Exmouth. I'm actually in Exmouth that evening for a wedding reception party in the evening, so sadly won't be able to make it. :( Not unless we can convince some of the party guests to sneak off to the gig on the quiet! ;)

HenryT, Apr 4, 2004
  5. themadhippy

sounds like it could have been MAGIC

themadhippy, Apr 4, 2004
  6. themadhippy

HenryT

It was around about 1992/3 IIRC. Can't for the life of me remeber the name of the group, but you might well be right Les. So, you're a bit of a self confessed Queen tribute band expert then? :)

HenryT, Apr 4, 2004
  7. themadhippy

damn it youve got me sussed :D
    actually more to do with working in theatre ,you get to see quite a few tribute bands

themadhippy, Apr 4, 2004
  8. themadhippy

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Henry - it was the "Magic - a kind of Queen" tour, dude :)

Other good tribute bands I've seen:
    The Australian Doors Show
    The L.A. Doors

Both were excellent; but the L.A. ones had more presence. "Jim" was a nutter, true to style!

domfjbrown, Apr 5, 2004
  9. themadhippy

johnhunt recidivist

i was thinking of putting a band together of people who were once in big bands but left before they made it

i have two suggestions - a client of mine's father was, i think, in the who on drums and a colleague was john deacon's predessesor in what was or was to become queen

that's the bass and drums any body got any other suggestions?

johnhunt, Apr 5, 2004
  10. themadhippy

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I have worked with Gary Mullen last Christmas. He was part of the end of term entertainment at the Student Union where I DJ. I have to say he put on a very good show. He 'rocked' the crowd big style. It was one of the best end of term shows we have had. He was singing to backing tapes & was without his band, but his singing was was top notch.

I did the build up & compering for his act & got the crowd going. He did a few encores that went down well.

After the show, his manager came over & thanked me for the build up. He said that he & Gary enjoyed their time in the union. He also said that Gary would like to come over & thank me himself. Sure enough, Gary later appeared & we chatted for a bit about his show. He was very pleased with my efforts & his treatment in the union. He stayed around for most of the night afterwards.

I agree with Les, out of costume he looks like a normal bloke off the street but on stage he was transformed.

We hope to have him back. It's good to work with nice people.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 5, 2004
Ask a Question