Opinions Invited

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Soloist, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Soloist

Soloist In my lonely furrow

Ok Forum,

Been on for about a month now and starting to settle in. I started here (see earlier post) thinking I was looking to change my speakers but now I am convinced its the amp that needs changing.

Two possible routes: integrated, pre and power. So whats best? (settle down Mr Hill). Budget here is about £1k. Outgoing amp is Arcam Delta 90.2, which I consider still performs but I am really exited about the potential sonic improvements a proper upgrade will bring.

I missed out on SMEagol's Bel Canto and it looks like the Cairn may go before I get sorted out. I know everyone will have a different opinion on manufacturer. The basic question here is with the budget available, is seeking out a recent second-hand bargain as an upmarket integrated the best option or should I see this as an opportunity to aim as high as I can in upgrades, even if that means buying older pre and power classics?

ALL thoughts appreciated.

Regards,

Soloist, Apr 17, 2009
  2. Soloist

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Have a look at Big Ears Audio, he knows his amps and will let you demo them and has some lovely valve stuff and knows plenty of people that keep it going. He's a helpful chap, if you are sending him a trade in though make sure its totally bomb proof as his couriers are absolute monkeys*. I'm still out by £250 courtesy of "Interlunk" (pun intended - named and shamed :grrr:). Another severely great chap is Paul at Classique Sounds, salt of the earth this chap, and loves his amps too I bought a set of Quad Stats off him and drank tea in his front room!.

Just tell them what you like to hear, I'd treat it as a voyage of discovery.

*sorry monkeys - you're actually quite intelligent and have good motor functions.

SMEagol, Apr 17, 2009
  3. Soloist

hifinutt

bel canto are lovely amps and good value s/h. very easy to sell on and reliable

hifinutt, Apr 18, 2009
  4. Soloist

JohnT

For a used integrated under £1k you should certainly consider an AVI Laboratory Series if you can find one, as they don't often come up for sale. They usually go from £700 upwards, depending age & condition. It has excellent bass 'grip' and a very clean and non-fatiguing sound, and enough power to cope with any speaker. I write only as a very satisfied owner.

HTH - keep us updated on your quest,
    John

JohnT, Apr 19, 2009
  5. Soloist

DarrenW

I heard a nice marantz integrated at the scalford hall show - cant recall the name but might have been pm4???

anyway it was nice - looked cool and had a decent phono stage for free as well - run in class a apparently for 15 watts and 60 if you flick the switch so handy for when you move to more sensitive speakers (everyone does eventually)

really need to know what speakers you are using for proper recommendations though

rgds
    darren

DarrenW, Apr 20, 2009
  6. Soloist

Soloist In my lonely furrow

Thanks for posts so far.

Just to inform, current system is:

Marantz 63SE
    Technics SL3 linear turntable
    Arcam Delta 90.2
    Cable Talk 3.1
    Musical Fidelity Reference 4 on Atacama stands (bi-wired)

I also have a Rotel tuner and a Sony 3 head cassette but I don't have them connected.

Regards,

Andrew

Soloist, Apr 20, 2009
Ask a Question