Opinions of speakers (and matching amp)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by firestorm, Nov 26, 2009.

1. firestorm

firestorm

I have sold most of my main system, speakers have gone, amps are on their way, I'm just waiting for payment. (Dyn Aud 52, NAC62, NAP110).

Room is about 3.5 x 4.5m (3.5 x 9m my lounge extends into the dining room). Wooden suspended floor.

I'd like to try floorstanders, I'd prefer to enjoy my music over complete accuracy, having said that, fat bloaty bass, sharp sibilant topend is a no-no. Accurate, tuneful bass, nice liquid midrange, good treble. Music-wise, I listen to all sorts apart from

Speakers I have had in the past, Mission 70, JPW (something or other), Musical Fidelity MC1000, Linn Sara, JR149, Dynaudio Audience 52. Amplifiers I have had, Sony TAF40, NAD 3030, Mission Cyrus 2, Naim 42.5/NAP110, NAC62, T-amp, Avondale 260Z, Marantz PM68.

I have the JPW and JR149 still. Amplifiers, I have the Sony and the Marantz PM68 still. I've also got a pair of AKG K701 and a Musiland MD10 DAC/ headamp. If find the combination accurate but dry. I would like a little more 2nd order harmonics, a la lampes/tubes/valves!

I have always applied the "Source is most important" principle, I don't think that really applies in the real world, may be if you listen to headphones. I'm going to try speakers first, as I reckon that is the largest variable in all this hifi game. If I get the choose the right speakers, I can get the right amp to match it. The source quality is overwhelmed by the speaker distortion, speaker to amp match and speaker to room interface.

I like the touch, feely stuff, I like round earth attributes, imaging, soundstage, but it still needs to have good timng and rhythm. Am I asking too much ?

So, thanks for reading this far !

What do I consider ? I have a limited budget like most people. I'll stick with 2nd hand gear, as the risk is lessened. I have looked at so far :

Speakers
    Tannoy Sixes
    Dali Skyline 1000
    Dali Suite 2.8
    Rega R3/R5
    Impulse H6

Amps
    MC2 Amps
    Cambridge Audio 840A
    NVA AP*
    Perhaps a China valve amp PP KT88 (running costs have deterred me so far)
    Vincent/Dusson
    Croft
    Hybrids ?

The Amp choice will depend on the speakers, their load profile and sensitivity.

All ideas considered - Thanks !

firestorm, Nov 26, 2009
  2. firestorm

mr cat Member of the month

there's a guy on hifiwigwam selling his dali suite 2.8 - top guy, and I've got the same speakers...

worth a shot imo... :)

mr cat, Nov 26, 2009
  3. firestorm

firestorm

MrCat
    Greg ? Yes I'm in contact with him already. I'm soliciting opinions at the moment, making best use of the collective intelligence here !
    What did you have before and what do you think?
    Cheers

firestorm, Nov 26, 2009
  4. firestorm

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, tis greg... :)

I had some focal chorus 714s and I upgraded to some dali ikon 5 - loved the sound but was after more oomph (as I have a 30w class a amp) and the 2.8 has that is bucketloads...

mr cat, Nov 26, 2009
  5. firestorm

DavidF

I too woiuld go for floor standers.

Speakers amke a big difference. I went recently from ruark sceptre stand mounters to castle harlechs, which did half as much again.

If it were me I'd (still) certainly forcus on the front end. Like you I am happy to use cd, I wish I had a the time to play with a td 160 super TT.

For amps, I'm now addicted to valves, not addicted to their running costs though. Factor in a valve change every 6 months or so which is 80 quid a time. I'm happy to be corrected on those figures.

DavidF, Nov 26, 2009
  6. firestorm

firestorm

My source is FLAC --> MD10 DAC/ SB3. I got shot of the CDP ages ago. I love the convenience, though I miss the physical browsing.

99.99% of my FLACs are 16/44.1. I do have a few 24/96 which are very, very good.

firestorm, Nov 26, 2009
  7. firestorm

firestorm

What amp are you using ?

firestorm, Nov 26, 2009
  8. firestorm

DavidF

A dynovox vr 70 e.

Its not standard , by any stretch.

DavidF, Nov 26, 2009
  9. firestorm

DavidF

Someones turned up an interesting valve amp deal over on pink fish if your interested.

I would ale nie mam pieniąze.

DavidF, Nov 26, 2009
  10. firestorm

firestorm

David,
    "ale nie mam pieniąze."
    what does that mean ? Is it Polish ?

Are you referring to the Yaqin CN EL34 amp over on PF?

Cheers

firestorm, Nov 27, 2009
  11. firestorm

DavidF

Yes, sorry.

.....but I have no money.....

Yes it is indeed polish.

YesI think yaqin was the one.

DavidF, Nov 27, 2009
  12. firestorm

monya

Dalis have a great sound, not hard but detailed with large soudstage but can have overblown bass dependent on the model

monya, Nov 27, 2009
  13. firestorm

rockhopper

Thanks Mr Cat.

Firestorm,

I just emailed you with approx dimensions of the packaging.

I noticed you're thinking about valve amps as well. I use a Melody Astro 50 valve amp with mine, and it runs the DALIs effortlessly. The DALIs are an easy 4 Ohm load, so you won't have any problems with most valve amps.

Cheers,

Greg

rockhopper, Nov 27, 2009
  14. firestorm

Tenson Moderator

Please forgive me, but in a room that size I don't think floorstanders are necessarily needed. Given the attributes that you ask for, I'd strongly suggest you at least have a listen to the Kensai standmounts my business makes. You can hear them in Walthamstow, which may not be too far from you in London.

Tenson, Nov 27, 2009
  15. firestorm

firestorm

Hi Simon,
    thanks for your input, no apologies needed. I've never been 100% satisfied with my speaker purchases, they always sound good in the dem, but don't reach more than 60% of that potential at home. Unfortunately my budget doesn't get close to the RP of your Kensai, though I wouldn't mind finding out what they're capable of.
    Cheers fs

firestorm, Nov 27, 2009
  16. firestorm

DavidF

Like many seemingly.

No one's has yet told me where the problem is with putting a cd into a player.

I feel sure there must be sonic losses with down loading and ripping. :)

DavidF, Nov 27, 2009
  17. firestorm

Tenson Moderator

I'm happy to hold a get-together at my demo room in Gravesend if a couple of others are interested to hear them. Its about 40 minutes from London Bridge by train.

Tenson, Nov 27, 2009
  18. firestorm

defride

I went from Dyn 52s to Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano's. Very happy with them and the sound would tend toward your OP description. I've used them with a wide variety of amps and to me they've been at their best with 200w of solid state with plenty of current. An aquaintence runs some of the SF standmounts from a 30w Leben CS600 with great results. Well worth investigating

defride, Dec 15, 2009
  19. firestorm

firestorm

Hi defride,
    SF Concerto Grand Pianos look exquisite, way out of my league at the moment. With the room size, I think I'm better off with a decent medium sized standmounter or a small/slim floorstander. Something that doesn't excite the room with bass resonance. The Dyns were absolutely awful for doing that, wherever I put them, they never worked properly.

Whatever I end up with must work in the room. Floor standers would be nice as I can get shot of the ironware, but I realise it is easier/cheaper to make a decent sounding stand mount.

Happy New Year

firestorm, Dec 29, 2009
  20. firestorm

firestorm

PC/SB is arguably equivalent to a half decent transport, there is also convenience and the issue of the storage of hundreds/thousands of CDs.

firestorm, Dec 29, 2009
Ask a Question