Opinions on these 2 CD Players

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by markabuckley, Sep 17, 2005.

1. markabuckley

markabuckley

(please)

You've probably noticed I've a WTD thread in classifieds - but over last 2 days I've also found 2 or 3 interesting "new" options - I know that its always best to have a demo but none of the shops are anywhere near here unfortunately.

(1) Rotel RCD-991 - 400 pounds with full warranty - I know these were highly rated, but not sure how they stack up against current mid-range CD players ? and is 400 pounds right sort of price ?

(2) Exposure 2010 - one place doing these brand new for 350 with 3 year warranty. Positive reviews, but would this still outperform a similar "new" design such as a Arcam CD73T etc.

Any thoughts on these options please ?

Best Regards, Mark.

markabuckley, Sep 17, 2005
  2. markabuckley

becks

Hi Mark,
    I tried a friends RCD991 a few years ago,wondered what all the fuss was about.
    Ive not heard the Exposure player but the market seems to be flooded with them,ebay etc.

rgds
    becks

becks, Sep 17, 2005
  3. markabuckley

zanash

the exposure is supposed to be good.....not heard it though . I've never been a fan of the rotel family sound so I would strear clear of that one.

zanash, Sep 17, 2005
  4. markabuckley

markabuckley

Thanks guys - this is all very useful.

I think I'll skip the Rotel then - in my heart of hearts it seemed way over-priced anyway - considering you can get the similar but lower specced RCD-971 for 1/3 the price 2nd hand.

2010 - yes does sound good from reviews - wonder if there is somewhere local I could hear one.

Thanks for all the advice.

Mark.

5. markabuckley

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

mark, if your budget is £750, I'd be tempted to spend £100 on a second hand cd player, and £650 on a second hand amp.

Trust me, at this price point you will get a better sound... the difference in price between a £350 used amplifier and a £650 used amplifier is significant, but less so with a CDP.

I would also look strongly at importing new products from the far east.

www.cattylink.co.uk for example.

Products such as the mosfet/valve SPT-100 monoblocks that Julian2002 uses are available at this money, and I can honestly say that I dont think I could improve on the sound with treble the budget.

Shen-ya/Vincent is the brand (they are the same, just a different name for each continent)

http://www.vincent-av.com/other_vincent.htm

bottleneck, Sep 17, 2005
  6. markabuckley

markabuckley

Bottleneck - thanks for the info - only looking to upgrade CD player at the moment (rightly or wrongly !) - even a side-step would be OK - I just found the NAD too warm and lacking in overall detail - I even preferred my Sony 530 CD Player ! which although over bright didn't seem lacking in detail.

I'm also using an Arcam Delta 290 amplifier - which whillst old - is still good.

and a pair of Tannoy S8Cs (superb for the money I paid ...100 pounds).

Thanks, Mark.

7. markabuckley

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

sorry Mark

I misread your post. I thought you were looking at buying a cdp and an amp.

Id probably get an Arcam at that budget.
    If I had a little more to spend (500-700) I'd get a Meridian.

bottleneck, Sep 17, 2005
  8. markabuckley

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Those Sony's are very safe sounding, I still really like my mums, despite the fact they cost < £100 they are still find players if you have a budget amp, when you put them into better amps though the lack of detal comes too apparant. The guitars just don't have the same edge to them.

I really like the sound of my Marantz, but I only paid £150 for it new, (Marantz CD6000 OSE) either way I am not planning to upgrade it for years. My speakers, turntable and amp need upgrading first.

amazingtrade, Sep 17, 2005
  9. markabuckley

markabuckley

Thanks guys for all the advice and the chat.

Bottleneck - yes the Meridians do look good - but I'm on the verge of getting shot by my wife at price-point I'm looking at as it is !

I bought a Sony 310 from Richersounds for 80 quid and its still going strong - but couldn't resist a 530 from Boot-fair a few weeks back, boxed with remote and manual etc for 5 quid ! Works perfectly - guy wanted to go away from separates.

An Inca Katana has appeared for sale 2nd hand local to me - anyone have any opinions on these ?

Looks over engineering - don't like the idea of a wood remote - but are they any good for the money (400 2nd hand)

Thanks, Mark.

10. markabuckley

Lefty

Lefty, Sep 17, 2005
  11. markabuckley

GAZZ

I have heard the Exposure 2010s not the 2010, IMO the 2010s is a good player at the price, make sure you listen to it before buying as it may not suit your tastes.

GAZZ, Sep 17, 2005
  12. markabuckley

GAZZ

Hifibitz are exposure dealers and do a return policy so check them out.

GAZZ, Sep 17, 2005
Ask a Question