Optical cable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tom Alves, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Tom Alves

Tom Alves

In my ever widening research into a PC based system I see that the Squeezebox has a optical out. Is that any better than coax out or RCA? Is one optical cable better than another or are they all the same?

Tom Alves, Dec 18, 2004
  2. Tom Alves

alexs2

Optical cables can vary according to the quality of the cable in terms of light transmission,and may lead to degradation over increasing distance.
    There is also the issue of conversion from digital to optical at one end,and back at the other,with the transmitter and receiver interfaces with the cable.

In theory,coaxial can be better,if properly done,but a lot still depends on the equipment it's connected to,and it's unlikely on a cheap system that any difference would be noted.

FWIW,I use a PC based system as the front end for my AV/Hifi as well as a TEAC VRDS,and the digital out from the PC feeds a P-Tech P1A upsampler which then runs the AV32R.....works very nicely,and in terms of sound quality I wouldnt use optical,for anything other than the TV connections.

alexs2, Dec 18, 2004
Ask a Question