Optical Leads

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Will, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Will

Will The Lucky One

Today I re-affirmed my status as a clumsy so and so, by treading on my 5m Chord Optichord whilst in the process of plugging it into my PCs sound card, after changing cases. Now my DAC will not lock onto any signal sent down the cable :( either from the PC or using the optical out on the CD Player. I'm presuming I've killed the cable, although theres still light coming out the other end (but not as brightly)

This is £65 gone down the toilet as well I fear....whilst Chord might have a 10 year warranty on their cables, since I broke it its not covered, and i doubt they can repair an optical cable so their repair/retermination service is of no use.

So can anyone recommend a decent, fairly sturdy brand of optical cable to replace the one I've broken? I'd rather not spend £65, I expect I can get something cheaper, especially given Chords infamy for simply reterminating and rebranding cheaper cables.

This ust about rounds of a really crappy week..I've had my computer break, last Thursday I was almost issued with a court injunction and a CCJ, this morning the hot tap in the bath got jammed fully open and I had to get a plumber to come and sort it out (new tap time now!) :SLEEP:

Will, Dec 14, 2005
  2. Will

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

QED Quenex OT is about £30/meter - I used to use one between my MD deck and CD player when I used MD for recording.

nsherin, Dec 14, 2005
  3. Will

robert_cyrus

link
    profigold pgd565 £21.49

robert_cyrus, Dec 14, 2005
  4. Will

mr cat Member of the month

mr cat, Dec 14, 2005
  5. Will

Snoopdog

Will,

The Missing-Link got hold of a lot of Cable Talk stock when that company folded and they sell the Optical Gold Toslink cable in a 5m length for £25. I bought one to hook up my Sky+ box to the hi-fi and it works a treat! Link here:-

http://www.the-missing-link.net/prod01.htm

Steve

Snoopdog, Dec 14, 2005
  6. Will

Tenson Moderator

Now why the smeg would it matter if you have gold contacts on an OPTICAL cable? Mine happens to have them too, but I think its crazy!

Tenson, Dec 14, 2005
  7. Will

Will The Lucky One

That'll do the trick nicely.....cheers! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2005
    Will, Dec 14, 2005
  8. Will

zanash

If you can solder and the kit has coax outputs ....I can supply you with enough cable and plugs ..pm for further info.

zanash, Dec 15, 2005
  9. Will

Will The Lucky One

Cheers for the offer zanash, whilst the DAC has a coaxial input the sound card's digital out is optical only (I prefer to use optical with a PC source anyway, keep as much interference out of the hifi as possible that way...no direct electrical connection :))

Will, Dec 15, 2005
  10. Will

mr cat Member of the month

mr cat, Dec 15, 2005
Ask a Question