Orange Box. It Half Life & Portal!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ShinOBIWAN, Oct 19, 2007.

1. ShinOBIWAN

Tenson Moderator

+ HL2 + HL2 Ep. 1 + Lost Coast + Peggle Extreme.

Tenson, Oct 22, 2007
  2. ShinOBIWAN

anubisgrau

mods, how's about splitting the topic?

anubisgrau, Oct 22, 2007
  3. ShinOBIWAN

andyoz

What the feck is everyone talking about here!! :confused:

andyoz, Oct 22, 2007
  4. ShinOBIWAN

SCIDB Moderator

Hi

I have split the thread. Hopefully I have got all the games talk.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 22, 2007
  5. ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

Did anyone else feel that Portal was the most enjoyable title out of the ones included in the Orange Box? I'm very interested to see where they take the technology but already we have a hint from Episode 2. Surely the portal gun will be introduced in Episode 3 and no doubt more Aperture Labs history will be revealed? I personally love the Aperture Labs setting in Portal, it harks back to the glory days of Black Mesa gone wrong. The female HAL adds to the sense of isolation and otherworldly technology that you have at your disposal. All very well judged and crafted IMO.

What do you chaps think?

Oh and Crysis is released on the 16th of November. Already have my pre-order in with EA for that one. Its going to be special no doubt about that.

ShinOBIWAN, Oct 23, 2007
  6. ShinOBIWAN

i_should_coco Monkey

apparently it's possible to make the portal gun available in Ep. 2

;-)

i_should_coco, Oct 23, 2007
  7. ShinOBIWAN

unclepuncle

I'm downloading the Crysis demo right now - it's taking 2 1/2 hours even with 8mb broadband.

unclepuncle, Oct 28, 2007
  8. ShinOBIWAN

aquapiranha

Ok. I bought this piece of shit orange wank effort for my son, and spent 4 hours of my life updating, uninstalling, reinstalling, reregistering and generally fucking about for nothing....

All I get is an error when loading portal, I have done the supposed "fix" on the steam off my shit website and nothing. Can you tell how pissed off I am???

I am VERY angry because my son has been looking forward to this for weeks, and there is absolutley **** all I can do to get it working, total piece of shit.

It goes back to play tomorrow and if there was a contact on the steam website you can bet your arse they would be getting a VERY nasty email from me on behalf of my very very upset son...

aquapiranha, Nov 2, 2007
  9. ShinOBIWAN

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'll take a stab at it being "very"???

Sorry to hear you've had issues with it.

MO!, Nov 2, 2007
  10. ShinOBIWAN

aquapiranha

Hi Mo. Yes very annoyed indeed, I mean, if you bought a car, and it wouldn't start, do you think you would have grounds for complaint?..

Anyway, I have tried EVERYTHING and visited many forums looking for the answer, which appears not to exist.

I really do not think software should be marketed if there are issues with it - though the ATI drivers are probably to blame in this instance....

aquapiranha, Nov 2, 2007
  11. ShinOBIWAN

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I know nothing about the game (though did play half life when it first came out), so can't help you sorry.

I just fancied having a go at guessing your annoyance level.

Have you tried shouting at it?

MO!, Nov 2, 2007
  12. ShinOBIWAN

aquapiranha

Mo, I am not sure the PC heard me when I shouted at it, it had other more pressing issues, such as the rapidly approaching pavement...lucky for me I have The Golden Age of Wireless to chill out to...

aquapiranha, Nov 2, 2007
  13. ShinOBIWAN

Tenson Moderator

In all fairness it sounds like more of a compatibility issue, or something else on your computer stopping it from working. I haven't seen any obvious 'issues' with the software and I know 3 other people with it all on different machines.

But none of that helps you get it sorted. If you can tell us the system spec it might help pinpoint the cause.

Ant, I really enjoyed Portal, especially the ending but I think Ep. 2 was better over-all as it had more to it. I'm glad they expanded on the story a fair bit. Ep.1 hardly moved it on at all. Finally, Gordon is not alone in having dealings with the G-man! Those 'advisors' are pretty scary too.

Tenson, Nov 2, 2007
  14. ShinOBIWAN

i_should_coco Monkey

Agreed. I thought Ep. 1 wa a bit rubbish. Ep. 2 on the other hand was superb! And portal was just wonderful. No problems here....

i_should_coco, Nov 2, 2007
  15. ShinOBIWAN

aquapiranha

Hi Simon. You may be right, but I have been a gamer for many, many years and have played such classics as Land Warrior/ BHD /QUAKE / JO /BF2 / COD 1&2 and countless others, some competitivly, all without trouble. I have always been able to iron out any minor issues before, bt this one thing is Really annoying. TBH, I would prefer not to have anything whatsoever to do with steam, akin to spyware almost it is...

I will have a chat with my freind who is also well versed in the black art of ATI Catalyst tweaking. It is my son who I am really annoyed for, you could tell he was very upset that his new game wouldn't work.

aquapiranha, Nov 2, 2007
  16. ShinOBIWAN

aquapiranha

OK. Update. I have now tried every trick I know, removed drivers using special removal tools, used specially adapted drivers...the list is endless. After a total of over 8 hours messing about with it it still refuses to work, even after installing from download and not off the disk. I will not be giving valve any of my money in future.

aquapiranha, Nov 3, 2007
  17. ShinOBIWAN

Tenson Moderator

Have you tried a fresh install of Windoze? Its usually a good idea to have a separate boot for games IME. Keeps them away from important stuff.

Tenson, Nov 3, 2007
  18. ShinOBIWAN

aquapiranha

Hi Simon. I managed to egt it going afetr installing 4 different catalyst drivers ( different versions, going backwards in time till I found one that works) and having to clean / reinstall the drivers and the game each time! well, it seemed to work, until the sound failed on level 9!! LOL.

Talk about buggy. Thanks all for the advice!

Steve.

aquapiranha, Nov 3, 2007
  19. ShinOBIWAN

Tenson Moderator

What card is it? Both my friend and I run it on ATI cards. In fact it was built on them!

Tenson, Nov 3, 2007
  20. ShinOBIWAN

aquapiranha

I have an HIS X1950 PRO (AGP) one of the last great AGP cards...

I will look into the sound issue, it seems to happen around an hour into playing the game.

Steve.

aquapiranha, Nov 4, 2007
Ask a Question