Orbital

Discussion in 'General Music' started by ilockyer, Apr 21, 2004.

1. ilockyer

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Seems as though Orbital's forthcoming album will be their last :( But they're playing their farewell gig at Glastonbury :D I now know I'm not going to be seeing Muse! I found this at www.efestivals.co.uk

According to the official Orbital website, Orbital are to play their last ever English show when they close the Other Stage at Glastonbury on Sunday 27th June. Orbital - Paul and Phil Hartnoll have announced that their forthcoming LP - the “Blue Album†- will be their last.

The website goes on:

With the album complete the band are turning their attention to their final show at Glastonbury. An appropriate venue for a farewell as it was here, exactly ten years before that Orbital delivered a live show that Q magazine listed as one of the fifty greatest live show of all time. “It's nice to know that we're finishing, it's not many bands that do that. They tend to just fade away. And it's nice to have our last gig at Glastonbury. It's gonna be a party set, a best of Orbital. We're not gonna sit there and try and promote the new album. I think if we're gonna do a last gig we should do distilled set of all the best stuff we've done. And that's what we're gonna do, play all the stuff that's stuck around for all this time because they are the favourite ones.

ilockyer, Apr 21, 2004
  2. ilockyer

tomson

I remember see them at Glasto in '94. Was a fantastic gig and I'd imagine this years will be a blinder too.

Shame its their last tho :(

tomson, Apr 23, 2004
  3. ilockyer

Heavymental

I saw orbital at glasto in 94, they were great. Its not many dance acts that can really work outside but they had just the right vibe for that night. Its a shame glastonbury draws so many dkheads these days. Last time I went I got really pissed off with all the townie piss heads just getting hammered and sunburnt for a weekend and all the 6th formers 'finding themselves' and trying grass. I used to go to a little festival in Frome that kicked the ass of glastonbury. Real nice friendly vibe and not too big. Festivals these days just seem to have got over popular and mainstream feeling.
    Rant over!
    Orbital are great and Insides must rank as a top 10 system tester.

Heavymental, Apr 26, 2004
  4. ilockyer

julian2002 Muper Soderator

halcyon is definitely in my top 3 fave tunes of all time - it just reminds me of some excelent times from my youth. it's just a shame that they are calling it a day.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Apr 26, 2004
  5. ilockyer

Heavymental

Yeah that is a tune. What album is it on again? I really find that Orbital haven't dated like a lot of electronica does. Although on a slightly different vibe the Prodigy seem very old hat compared to Orbital who have aged well.

6. ilockyer

halcyon (and on and on) is on orbital 02 - the one with the brownish cover (as it just says orbital on it).
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Apr 26, 2004
  7. ilockyer

Heavymental

Ah yeah I know the one...might have to have a peek at amazon. Must be in the bargain bin nowadays.
    Cheers,
    Tom

8. ilockyer

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I've got NO problems with the latter, but this year promises to have MAJOR LEAGUE problems with the former, thanks to the chav band of choice, Oasis, playing (no offence to present company Oasis fans of course!).

Mind you, with the Superfence up last year (my first!), the atmos was pretty good and very safe - very few crimes.

If you feel having double rated capacity and huge crime waves is a fair price to pay to have cultural diversity etc at the festie, then fair enough; I don't. If people can't save up the entrance cost over a year (a pint a week-ish) than there's not a lot you can do about that. I for one feel it's only fair that people who pay for their tickets have the right to a safe and fairly-risk-free environment.

If you want to see good bands you have to pay for them I'm afraid.

Back OT - I'm DEFO going to see Orbital at this year's festie - I hope it's not in the dance tent (too small for THIS kind of gig!); I'll have to be one of those "disco fans" for the night - anybody got any veras? Lurrrrvley!

domfjbrown, Apr 26, 2004
  9. ilockyer

Heavymental

Fair enough Dom, last time i went it was way too packed and I'm sure the fence has worked well, its just a shame that the british binge drinking culture has spilled into the festival scene. Just doesn't seem as chilled with all the chavs with their River Island fetival hat and shirt combo's. Atthough there are still some beautiful experiences to be had at festivals of course and I'm sure Orbital on a handful of shrooms will be one of them if its a clear night.
    ".....I seem to have left an important part of my brain...somewhere....somewhere in a field in wiltshire....."

10. ilockyer

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Well, if you confine yourself to the pyramid stage, that's where the chavscum hang out; it never occurs to them that there's a whole other scene at Glasters, and that TV generally only shows the pyramid stage stuff (or at least, used to only show... etc).

The lost vagueness field, green fields and stone circle are where the real Glasters action is, but ignore the townie twat trying to sell beer - he'll be wearing that crate of Stella if he's there again this year...

domfjbrown, Apr 26, 2004
  11. ilockyer

Heavymental

Agreed, last time I went I hardly saw the pyramid stage just hung around on the periphery. Think your better off not really looking at who's playing and just see what you stumble upon. I try and avoid planning an itinery....just go with the flow.:MILD:

12. ilockyer

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

That's the best way, or if there's some must sees, maybe just pick out a couple and see what else you can discover while wandering around the site. That said, looking at the efestivals site where line-ups are rumoured, there may be rather a lot of must see bands.

Orbital are headlining on the Other Stage, at the same time as Muse are on the Pyramid so it's a total no-brainer. Muse used to be a great live band, but haven't seen them since 1998, but they'll be there again. Orbital are Glasto legends and saying goodbye! Those that can't get to Glasto, they're at Brixton Academy on 25 June.

ilockyer, Apr 26, 2004
  13. ilockyer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Might have to get MOself along to this. Never been to the Brixton Academy before.

MO!, Apr 27, 2004
  14. ilockyer

tomson

Damn, i'm away on holiday then :(

tomson, Apr 27, 2004
  15. ilockyer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Been listening to The Box single (some excellent alternative versions) today. What a f@cking amazing piece of music!

MO!, Apr 29, 2004
  16. ilockyer

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Your post made me dig out the 12" Mo!

Its cool isnt it? kind of Enrico Moricone meets underworld.

twang twang twangy twang...

bottleneck, May 10, 2004
  17. ilockyer

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Insides is good, very good. But if you really want to stress your system, you need 'Altogether'. Just set the volume to as loud as your amp can comfortably go and play the last track, 'Meltdown'. If your system is any good, you will discover that your testicles can dance :D

technobear, May 18, 2004
  18. ilockyer

my god chris, you're correct.... even sat about 20 ft away from the speakers my testes are indeed moonwalking.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, May 18, 2004
  19. ilockyer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Don't kid yourself! That was no MOonwalk! I think "the worm" was a MOre fitting dance MOve! Maggot boy!.......... oops, wrong thread.

:D

MO!, May 18, 2004
  20. ilockyer

actually i've had my 'worm' modified so that it can do 'the batman' vince vega styleee :yikes:
    i thought this quite appropriate too :banana:
    cheers

julian

julian2002, May 18, 2004
Ask a Question