Ortofon Kontrapunkts

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gromit, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Are these any good?

It's just that with so many appearing 2ndhand I've started to have my doubts.

I'll be up for a new needle in the very near future and had considered one - although knowing (and having owned) Ortofons of the past they can sound a bit 'bland'. Wonderfully detailed and sweet but a bit slow all the same.

I need someone to tell me what this Cartridge Geezer 'Music Maker' thing's like. :)

Gromit, Jun 29, 2004
  2. Gromit

sideshowbob Trisha

If you buy from Germany you can get a Rohmann for the UK price of a Kontrapunkt, and you're starting to talk seriously good carts. My Rohmann cost about £500, including shipping, UK price is £1K or so. Nothing bland about it at all, and fantastically low background noise.

Have a look here for some examples of how cheap carts are outside the UK:

http://www.phonophono.de/

There are a couple of German sellers on ebay who are even cheaper, and are legit dealers.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 29, 2004
  3. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Thanks for the link Ian - seems the biggest savings are on Ortofons. Other manufacturers the savings aren't quite so huge (although still very surprising).

I've heard good reports about the Kontra C, although it doesn't seem to be widely available yet.

Gromit, Jun 29, 2004
  4. Gromit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I have the UK RRP 500 Kontrapunkt A.

Its a good cartridge.

The giant of the range price-performance wise is IMHO the MC15 super II. There isnt a huge gap between this and the dearer Kontrapunkt Ortofohns IME.

Ive heard the Rohmann vs Kontrapunkt - you trade a little in the frequency extremes for a more neutral presentation with the Rohmann

Apples and Oranges really.

bottleneck, Jun 29, 2004
  5. Gromit

Lt Cdr Data om

kontra b is big, very clear, bass blowsy
    rohman, delicate, laid back, poss slightly more detailed, fast, low noise
    mc15 is very neutral, hugely fast.

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 29, 2004
  6. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Thanks for the input guys - seems choosing/buying a cartridge is still the minefield it ever was! :rolleyes:

I'd be tempted by the Music Maker but still can't get out of my head that it looks identical to a cheapo (and slightly nasty) Grado I owned over 20 years ago. :(

:)

Gromit, Jun 30, 2004
Ask a Question