Ouch!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PBirkett, Aug 7, 2004.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Went out for some beers last night, and one of the lads I was with dropped a bottle on the floor and it smashed. I stood on a bit and it stuck in my boot, and when I went to get it out, I slashed my finger wide open. I've never seen so much blood come out of a finger. Went to hospital with it, but was going to have to wait all night, so left in the end. This morning, and it feels as though someones hit my finger with a hammer, its just so sore. I dipped and cleaned my wound my wound in antiseptic, and readily admit the pain nearly brought tears to my eyes. It seems like quite a deep cut and its ok now, but I've got to try and keep it straight or risk opening up the wound again.

Why do I always seem to injure myself when out on the drink? I once broke a tooth by accidentally smashing into it with a beer bottle, and another time I got cuts and grazes trying to climb through a window. I just seem to be so unlucky when I go out. :(

PBirkett, Aug 7, 2004
  2. PBirkett

Dev Moderator

Well stay in and keep yourself busy with music and ZG :D

But seriously, what bad luck. I personally would go to the Hospital, if the cut is deep enough, you may need stitches. There's no harm in having it seen to.

Dev, Aug 7, 2004
  3. PBirkett

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Firday/saturday nights are probably the buesiest times because people are out drinking. It should be quiter this morning.

The biggest injury I have had was when jumping up and down to a song and I missed a couple of steps and landed 2ft lower down than expected, I twisted my ankle and fell flat on my back, I could hardly walk for a week afterwards.

I always try to not have that much to drink now, so I am tipsey but not drunk, that way I don't get a hangover can easily get home by bus. However in your case Paul it dosn't sound like it was directly drink related, if you were on soft drinks it would still probably have happened.

amazingtrade, Aug 7, 2004
  4. PBirkett

joel Shaman of Signals

Get it seen to. It's not a big deal, but if it doesn't get properly treated, it could become one. The wound will probably need stitching (more painful now you're sober :D ) and proper cleaning - unless, that is, you fancy a dose of gangrene... Cleanliness is especially important when the weather is hot aand humid.

joel, Aug 7, 2004
  5. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I'm gonna clean it again tomorrow, I'll keep a close eye on it for sure. It did hurt loads more this AM than it did last night.

PBirkett, Aug 7, 2004
  6. PBirkett

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I can feel it in my fingers
    I can feel it in my toes
    The mould that's all around me
    And so the feeling grows...

We need a :getscoat: smily...

I-S, Aug 7, 2004
  7. PBirkett

Graham C

Paul, you're no relation to Gazza are you?
    The trouble with A&E when your pissed is they treat you like sh*t. 2 of us once walked there after being the victims of a fight [and outnumbered] in bonny Jarrow. The RVI hospital treated us like dirt. We would have had more understanding at the vets.

Graham C, Aug 7, 2004
  8. PBirkett

julian2002 Muper Soderator

graham,
    given the amount of grief they get from pissed up idiots who've fallen through kebab shop fridges whilst waving their knackers about (you had to have been there) i'm not surprised they go on the defensive. anyone who works in A&E on a friday / saturday night has mighty balls. how would you like to have to give a raging pissed skinhead a tetnus shot in the arse?
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 7, 2004
  9. PBirkett

joel Shaman of Signals

I think I missed my true calling in life :)
    Paul, if it hurts, that's a good sign: it probably isn't going to drop off. But you should get it seen to by a pro. If not, it could easily become infected - and that could turn really nasty.

joel, Aug 7, 2004
  10. PBirkett

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Paul,

I know a fair bit about pre-hospital medicine so...

Three important questions:

1. Do you have normal sensation at the tip of the finger you cut? i.e. if you rub the finger tip can you feel it? (Checking there isn't sensory nerve damage)
    2. Hold your finger above the level of your heart, squeeze the top of the finger where the finger nail is for 5 seconds (pushes the blood out of the tip of your finger), then release and time how long it take for the blood to return. If this is more than 2 seconds there is a problem with circulation to the tip of the finger. If you're unsure, compare it to the time it takes blood to return to the corresponding finger on your opposite hand (they should be the same of course).
    3. Do you have normal movement of the finger?

If there is a problem with any of the above then you absolutely must go to A&E to get it checked out. By the sounds of it I think you really should get to A&E anyway, as if it is deep it might need cleaning, and could well need stitches to repair properly. You're less likely to get a scar too. It's a bit hard to judge without seeing the wound, but by the sounds of it I'd pop along there this afternoon if I were you.

Also, dipping the finger in an anti-septic is absolutely not a currently recommended first aid procedure. The anti-septic can hinder tissue repair.

Oh, and one final thing, I assume you had a full course of tetanus injections at school, right?

MartinC, Aug 8, 2004
  11. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

1. Yes, I can still feel it, it hurts though
    2. Never tried it. Going to change dressing today so will try
    3. Yes

Dont know if I had tetanus injection or not, to be honest.

PBirkett, Aug 8, 2004
  12. PBirkett

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Paul ya wee muppet! Get your ass in gear and get it checked out!

If there's nothing wrong with it, then no harm done.

I had a crush injury when I was 16. The index and middle fingers on my left (wanking) hand were completely mashed! They resembled two multi coloured slugs on steroids! Skin, bones, and tendens were all crushed. Luckily (and quite amazingly), while the nerve sheaf was torn, the actual nerves survived pretty much undamaged.
    Had two op's and spent ages walking about looking like Edward Scissor hands with metal pins poking out (they were holding the crushed bones together).

Erm....... seem to have gone a bit self indulgent there, but my point is..... while I was in hospital there were loads of people coming and going who'd cut and "thought it'd be ok" their hands/fingers. It's not just about keeping it clean, if some of the flesh dies, you'll need to make sure you have the proper dressing on it.

Hopefully/possibly/probably there'll be no problems, but you REALLY should get it looked at just in case!

Fingers are only little things. But the aMOunt of pain they can cause is huge! And you'll miss them when they're gone! I know you've only got a li'l winky, but i'm sure you'd prefer a full 5 finger grip :D

MO

MO!, Aug 8, 2004
  13. PBirkett

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Nicely put MO! :D . Have you got the message yet Paul?

Oh, on the tetanus thing, you'll have probably had this at school Paul, they're standard like TB, but if you happened to be off school on a day they were done you may have missed out. The standard advice though is that if you're not sure you've had it, get a booster. So another reason to go to A&E...

MartinC, Aug 8, 2004
  14. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I've been to hospital now anyway and they've stitched it and gave me antibiotics. My mother probably would have kept whinging at me to go anyway, but sorted now. Cheers fellas

PBirkett, Aug 8, 2004
  15. PBirkett

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Nice one Paul, glad you got it sorted. Hope it heals up quickly.

MartinC, Aug 8, 2004
  16. PBirkett

Heavymental

Heavymental, Aug 9, 2004
  17. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Just some more advice fellas, the dressing came off in my sleep last night but since they said to leave it on 2-3 days I've left it off. As I said they have given me antibiotics at the hospital which I've been taking, but the cut itself has started to go yellow/green in the middle, and I just wondered if the antibiotics will take care of this or whether it might need further attention?

PBirkett, Aug 10, 2004
  18. PBirkett

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Yo Paul

Get it checked again anyway, but that sounds more like bruising. Mind you, I had a nice gash on my arm once, and that did the yellow/green thing, then started oozing puss! Mind you, I'd not been given antibiotics UNTIL the puss started coming out, so I reckon your's is bruising.

Still best to be safe than sorry - still wish I'd got my forehead stitched that time when my mate full-on butted me during a playfight - still got a nice scar there now 8 years later!

BTW - glass cuts hurt like a mare - been there done that. Right on a knuckle - took forever to heal!

domfjbrown, Aug 10, 2004
  19. PBirkett

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Should be alright I'd have thought Paul. You're already on anti-biotics so if it were infected you should be covered. I guess if it got really bad maybe the dose could be raised? So probably fine, but if you're worried about it go and see your GP, or maybe try one of those NHS walk in places. I'd leave it a day or two and see how it goes though by the sounds of it.

MartinC, Aug 10, 2004
  20. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Cheers mate, I think it is healing, my hand goes through weird spells of going numb for a bit, but I think thats as much to do with the fact I am trying not to move the finger too much and also type and stuff.

PBirkett, Aug 10, 2004
Ask a Question