Output stage fried?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by yogus, Jul 22, 2004.

1. yogus

yogus

My Arcam Alpha 9 CDP has 2 outputs. I've always had my ics plugged into one of them, and when I took it to the dealer for an audition, I must have accidentally swapped it to the other one when i got back home.

For some reason, whole parts of the music were missing. Nothing obvious without an AB comparison, but bits of guitar, or cymbals just weren't coming through in the mix. Not something you'd pick unless you were extremely familiar with the track. Swapping to the other output made everything whole again. Quick AB comparisons with the same cable, and even swapping the cable as a control showed it was definitely a difference in the RCA output.

The dealer where I auditioned it (who doesn't sell Arcam) suggests that it may be due to lack of burn-in on the one set of outputs. But I'm hoping that its not something more sinister, like perhaps my output stage is fried, and the other output will shortly go as well.

Any thoughts on this one?

yogus, Jul 22, 2004
  2. yogus

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

is one of the outputs a fixed level and the other a variable output?

themadhippy, Jul 23, 2004
  3. yogus

yogus

Nope, they are both fixed.

The differences have nothing to do with level, but with detail. One output has far more detail than the other.

yogus, Jul 23, 2004
  4. yogus

thespirit3

yeah - but one output may be fixed level, and one may be variable. Suggesting, that perhaps the variable output has more electronics in it's path, hence the sound might differ due to a cheap volume control circuit (either a variable resistor, or a digital volume control of some sort). I think that's what themadhippy was suggesting...

thespirit3, Jul 23, 2004
  5. yogus

yogus

Reason was pretty stupid in the end.

When I left the dealer, he had plugged my ICs into the two left output jacks and when I got home I didn't check properly.

So in the end, I was getting two left signals into my amp. Duh :MILD:

(btw, both outputs are of the fixed output type. Arcam Alpha 9 CDPs do not have a variable output)

yogus, Jul 23, 2004
  6. yogus

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

There'll still be a difference though, I bet... It's probably like most integrated amps with two speaker outs - ie, both sets of sockets ganged onto 1 op-amp, so the sockets nearest the main board will have higher sound quality, due to less lengthly signal paths...

domfjbrown, Jul 23, 2004
Ask a Question